Singapore Expats

Why no free parking anywhere

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Why no free parking anywhere

Post by The Ref » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 9:53 pm

It seems there are hardly any places in Singapore that offer free parking.

Turf City / the grandstand is the only place I know that doesn't charge its clients parking. Some places offer $3 discount on spending but it seems if you want to shop somewhere they also charge you to park there.

Anyway - I understand people will take advantage of it but is seems strange that none of the larger malls offer free parking to customers.

Even on street parking is rare here.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 10:09 pm

I think some parks like ECP and Bedok Reservoir park have free parking.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 10:54 pm

Dempsey .... But yes it's rare!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 03 Aug 2014 11:20 pm

Yes, East Coast park is one place with it. A lot of the neighborhoods with houses are also free street parking.

You can also do what I do and just mostly ignore coupon parking restrictions. Except for a few specific 'parking auntie hotspots', you'll almost definitely come out way ahead by just paying the occasional fine instead of using a coupon every time. At least if you drive (and park) a lot.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 1:18 am

some nparks have free parking... and private estates with the appropriate (or lack of) road markers... and no pots/rubbish bins/chairs/stools to "chope" spots.

a good locum tip: if you're going to plenty of coupon day + overnight parking (coupon) places, you can get a $10 (outside CBD) or $16.50 (outside/within CBD) coupon. both are sold in books of five - or you can use smaller denominations to make a similar or > amount.

this works out pretty good as it is usable for that night too (until 7AM the following day - usually a $4 overnight charge).

does not work for EPS car parks... which kinda sucks. as time goes by, they're rolling EPS out at more carparks...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 1:30 am

if i remembered correctly... it costs the government >$13k to build each (individual) parking space.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Why no free parking anywhere

Post by curiousgeorge » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 6:13 am

The Ref wrote:It seems there are hardly any places in Singapore that offer free parking.

Turf City / the grandstand is the only place I know that doesn't charge its clients parking. Some places offer $3 discount on spending but it seems if you want to shop somewhere they also charge you to park there.

Anyway - I understand people will take advantage of it but is seems strange that none of the larger malls offer free parking to customers.

Even on street parking is rare here.

I am surprised that anyone who has been in Singapore more than 10 mins asks this question.
In a country where the COE is >$60,000. Where you pay ERP for driving down busy roads. Where there is 200% Additional Registration Fee on every car sold.

You're asking why it costs money to park a car?!

And especially at the larger malls. From lunchtime on any weekend go look at the queue to park in most of the larger malls.

If you can afford a car, you can afford the parking...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 6:49 am

^^This.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 10:56 am

IMM offers free parking for first 3 hours.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 11:06 am

Wd40 wrote:I think some parks like ECP and Bedok Reservoir park have free parking.
ECP has some free car parks but any near the facilities cost.

I guess the thinking is along the lines that you can afford to pay for parking if you can afford the absurd car prices here.

This probably doesn't help most, but many places have free bike parking. Of course on the dark side there are places which don't allow bikes at all.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 11:25 am

Prime parking areas (such as Marina Bay or Financial District) are still cheaper during work days than comparable areas in large US cities. Even non-prime areas in San Francisco are something like $4 USD for an hour at parking meters.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 1:20 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Yes, East Coast park is one place with it. A lot of the neighborhoods with houses are also free street parking.

You can also do what I do and just mostly ignore coupon parking restrictions. Except for a few specific 'parking auntie hotspots', you'll almost definitely come out way ahead by just paying the occasional fine instead of using a coupon every time. At least if you drive (and park) a lot.
+1. Singaporeans know their parking rules and hotspots and where the aunties can't fine you (but only LTA or TP can fine you). Listen to them for advice. Many a time I've parked my car in an old driveway or down a laneway and not been fined even though the aunty has walked right past.
Note - if you DO get an LTA or TP parking fine though it's a quanta of at least 2 times that for a URA or normal parking fine. I'm still pissed about a $75 fine for parking in an alleyway.

Also switch to a motorbike. Always free places for them.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 8:50 pm

I understand if I am rich enough to own a car I am rich enough to pay. And I am not talking about hotspots like the city or Marina Bay.

Anyway, I just think it funny that more malls don't do the 2 hours free to get people to shop there - although I have not seen the malls short of customers.

I remember seeing a parking inspector and they have clear demarcation of where they can fine you. It turns I ran back to my car to move it and ended up moving it from a spot that would not have been fined anyway because it was the road into the carpark not the carpark itself.

Anyway, it was a post based on annoyance at spending a fair amount of money and then being stung for parking. More insult than injury.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 05 Aug 2014 12:13 am

The Ref wrote:I understand if I am rich enough to own a car I am rich enough to pay. And I am not talking about hotspots like the city or Marina Bay.

Anyway, I just think it funny that more malls don't do the 2 hours free to get people to shop there - although I have not seen the malls short of customers.

I remember seeing a parking inspector and they have clear demarcation of where they can fine you. It turns I ran back to my car to move it and ended up moving it from a spot that would not have been fined anyway because it was the road into the carpark not the carpark itself.

Anyway, it was a post based on annoyance at spending a fair amount of money and then being stung for parking. More insult than injury.
Just don't shop or go out. Seriously that's where I am in Singapore after 10+ years and I know I'm not the only one.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Aug 2014 6:51 am

^^+1 I'm much the same way, or if I have to go downtown, I use the MRT and then take a taxi home if the load is large enough to make it unwieldy on the train. Car parking is wasteful, hence the high parking charges. The majority of traffic in town is via bus or train.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers