Singapore Expats

S pass renewal while being pregnant

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
bwana

S pass renewal while being pregnant

Post by bwana » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 2:29 pm

Hi, there

My husband is PR and myself is having S pass.
My S pass needs to be renewed this coming November.
The problem is medical check up upon renewal.
I’m pregnant and I can’t go through chest X ray.

I got my S pass in 2008. When 2010 renewal, I went through chest X ray, and 2012 renewal, I didn’t.
I understand I can’t know if X ray (and other medical check up) is required until in-principle approval letter is issued.

If MOM requires that I should go through chest X ray, can I just get the letter from a doctor to prove that I’m pregnant, so that I can avoid X ray this time and MOM can renew my S pass with other medical check (blood test etc if required)?

I understand MOM doesn’t allow work permit holders to get pregnant, but not S pass holders. So I think there should be no problem to renew my S pass.
There should have been some cases that pregnant women renew their S passes etc, but I couldn’t find any information on-line.

Please advise.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 5:08 pm

From the government side, there is no issue if you are pregnant (I think) for S-Pass renewal. I am pretty sure if you have a doctor's proof that you are pregnant, you will be excused from certain tests. However, your employer may have a different take on it - and while it is illegal to fire women because they are pregnant, the enforcement of such rules is not really great.

Also note that there is a risk (how big it is depends a lot on your overall situation, especially financially) that your child would not get PR at this point, and maybe not even any other long-term visa. I hope for the best for you, but it is better to be prepared.

bwana

Post by bwana » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 5:41 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.
I’m quite relieved to hear that government has no issues to renew my S pass while I’m pregnant.
I don’t worry too much about financial situation thanks to my husband. His salary is over $13K per a month, which I think is very high. I hope our baby can get PR. But no one knows though…
You brought up another concern, but as you mentioned, better to be prepared.

I just hope I can get excused from chest X ray and our baby can get PR or at least any certain visa which allows him/her to stay in Singapore.

Thank you again!

tanvinz

Post by tanvinz » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 8:45 am

Hi. As far as I know, pregnant women are exempted for x-ray exams. That is as far as I remember when I get my pre-employment medical exams in Woodlands. They have this posters that pregnant women are exempted on it. :)