Singapore Expats

Singapore cats - what's wrong with them

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
bgd
Manager
Manager

Singapore cats - what's wrong with them

Post by bgd » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 1:19 pm

Pretty much every cat I've ever known, at least in their youth, was a killer. Birds, rodents, insects, small children were all fair game for the feline assassins.

That's until I moved here. Cats here don't appear to be predators. There is something fundamentally wrong when birds have no fear of cats.

What has happened to Singaporean cats? Where has that killer instinct gone?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 1:22 pm

They all look well fattened eating all the scraps they can find in the food court and hence there is no need to be predatory I suppose?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 2:20 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:They all look well fattened eating all the scraps they can find in the food court and hence there is no need to be predatory I suppose?
oh, no .. you think they are getting obese by hawker center food?

do you live in a condo?

truth be told, those strays around HDB areas get fed multiple times by multiple 'caring' residents they have no time to even play

the one below our block is the wrong image of a Cat, so fat, he doesnt stray too far from his second floor staircase ... lest he can't walk back to his food tray

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 21 Jul 2014 2:46 pm

ecureilx wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:They all look well fattened eating all the scraps they can find in the food court and hence there is no need to be predatory I suppose?
oh, no .. you think they are getting obese by hawker center food?

do you live in a condo?

truth be told, those strays around HDB areas get fed multiple times by multiple 'caring' residents they have no time to even play

the one below our block is the wrong image of a Cat, so fat, he doesnt stray too far from his second floor staircase ... lest he can't walk back to his food tray
no I live in HDB, there are about a dozen cats that live here, but there are so many restaurants nearby and nearly all of them have a scrap bin at the back and the cats hang around there all the time.
and yes I have seen these "good Samaritans" bring along even more food to feed these already fat cats.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

pixfirewall
Regular
Regular

Post by pixfirewall » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 12:41 am

yep...the old "aunties" feed the cat...and some other good samaritans, due to the nature of the "concrete jungle" predatory instinct could be gone...
Since food is offered or food around the corner...why bother for the effort of hunting rats...birds...lol....as if I had been a cat from a previous life....hehehehe
pixfirewall
IM & email: [email protected]

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 1:53 am

I saw favorite my local HDB cat toying with and eventually kill a mouse once. So some of them still have sharp instincts. But most of the local cats just expect everything happily handed to them, and will make little effort to compete for anything.

...Much like local PMET employment scene? :D

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 2:04 am

Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 8:30 am

Birds are too much work and not necessarily first thing that comes to their mind.

Even if predatory instinct is sharp, HDB cats are usually taught by their mom that rain gutter is a way of life. They have more predilection for mice and geckos than birds.

And just like lions spend most of their days sleeping in the middle of their preym but not hunting them, HDB cats hunt mostly in the middle of the night, the day being too much work to sneak upon their prey.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 1:54 pm

merichan wrote: And just like lions spend most of their days sleeping in the middle of their preym but not hunting them, HDB cats hunt mostly in the middle of the night, the day being too much work to sneak upon their prey.
like waiting for the prey to get nearer so the cat can just eat him?

interesting

though Lions are from the cat family their eating habits are different vs domestic cats .. says me

then again some of the rats here are larger than the cats ... ;) ;)