Singapore Expats

Expected Salary- Speech Therapist

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
pdiddy

Expected Salary- Speech Therapist

Post by pdiddy » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:35 pm

Hi all,

I am just wondering about the "expected salary" section when applying for jobs in singapore.

Is it advisable to aim high? I currently earn 60, 000SGD in my current in Ireland, and I would be happy to accept the same salary in Singapore. However, the average wage for my position in Singapore is approx 45,000. Should I "expect" 60, 000 SGD? Is this frowned upon?

I have a BSc and MSc and one year of experience in my field, which is as an allied health professional.

The job is based in a hospital.

Thanks for your help!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:38 pm

You should expect what you are worth + the cost to live here + the hassle to move here.

pdiddy

Post by pdiddy » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 12:23 am

Thanks for reply.

I suppose I am wondering what the hiring culture around this is. Will they take one look at my expected salary and be put off?

I am quite surprised to hear of the low(ish) wages offered to health professionals in Singapore, given the very large demand for them!

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 8:02 am

Personally I would write 'negotiable' in the relevant section of the form (or embellish the wording a bit if you want to 'soften' it). Then if they press you for a specific number (which IMHO is a crass way for a potential employer to behave before they've even spoken to you), I would state that you'd prefer to see how good a fit you'd be for the role, given that you believe you could do great things for their organisation, blah blah, etc.

If they *still* insisted on a number after that, I'd seriously consider whether you really want to work for an organisation with such a brain-dead recruitment process.
Be careful what you wish for

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 9:58 am

bear in mind I work for a bank, not in healthcare. I also haven't been in Singapore long, so I may also not be representative of the hiring culture.

My experience as a hiring manager:

Candidates coming in via recruiters will already be screened for salary, though occaisionally recruiters will send in candidates whose salary expectations exceed our range.

All candidates coming in from HR don't have salary expectations tagged to them and anecdotally HR don't seem to be screening based on this as we see expectations come in well above our range.

In terms of influencing my personal behaviour as a hiring manager:

When I personally see salary expectations above our range, I tend to read the CV a little more closely and I'm not likely to proceed if the CV doesn't demonstrate a good match. If the CV is a good match, I'm likely to proceed with an interview regardless. (I've never had salary expectations come in that are truely out of whack. i.e. double or something silly)

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Expected Salary- Speech Therapist

Post by taxico » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:28 am

pdiddy wrote:Hi all,

I am just wondering about the "expected salary" section when applying for jobs in singapore.

Is it advisable to aim high? I currently earn 60, 000SGD in my current in Ireland, and I would be happy to accept the same salary in Singapore. However, the average wage for my position in Singapore is approx 45,000. Should I "expect" 60, 000 SGD? Is this frowned upon?

I have a BSc and MSc and one year of experience in my field, which is as an allied health professional.

The job is based in a hospital.

Thanks for your help!
you probably won't get paid 60k sgd with 1 year experience + MS... i could be wrong, but... that's quite an inexperienced (clinically) SLP...

your taxes here will be lower though...

you will have to get a phd (and/or publish lots) and get a few more years under your belt if you want to rake in more money in singapore and rise up the totem pole quickly/quicker in the hospital.

although... the big bucks are in the private sector. also it might be easier to get PR if you worked in a restructured hospital in an area of need...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 1:46 am

If you aren't desperate for a move here then price yourself up. Big time.

Consider the costs of living here. If your condo will put you back by $5k/mth then that alone is $60k per year, and *poof* goes your entire salary right there. :)

Aim high and try to use your credentials, education, experience and potential as the reason why someone would want to employ you here. Don't make it look like cost is the main factor as that diminishes everything else about you.