Singapore Expats

options for primary school

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
momofboys

options for primary school

Post by momofboys » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 7:00 pm

Hi all,

We are likely moving to Singapore in about 10 months. We have two boys, one of which will be entering primary school. I have been looking at schools and it is honestly overwhelming. My husband will be working near Marina Bay so we could live/ go to school either in central Singapore or East or West coast it would seem.

We are American but since the kids are so young and we may only be there for 3-4 years, I don't feel that strongly that he needs to go to a US based curriculum necessarily. Agree? Disagree?

I think he may need more one-on-one time as he has difficulty focusing at times. I don't care about fancy amenities at the school (though no complaints if they are there) just somewhere where the teachers really invest in the kids and he will learn. Also would like him to work on his Mandarin some. He understands a lot of it from listening to his grandparents, who are Chinese, but needs encouragement to speak it.

Okay, I know those are vague. I have a list of schools I am looking at but every time I do research on them I get confused based on either old posts or conflicting opinions and new schools keep popping up in the search. So can provide more details if needed but really want to just hear peoples' thoughts with what I wrote above already.

Thanks so much! This forum has already been immensely helpful with starting my initial search.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:45 am

So you will be moving here in April 2015, right? How old will your elder son be then?