Singapore Expats

EP Cancellation - SVP

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sunraise

EP Cancellation - SVP

Post by sunraise » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 8:50 pm

Hi, I had cancelled my EP on June 26th and my Social Visit Pass will be getting expired on July 26th. I got offer from another company in Singapore now. They will be filing my EP soon. But, as new EP processing time is approximately about 2 weeks, Please suggest best option from the below or suggest me any other:

1. Is there any feasibility for me to request for extension of Social Visit Pass to MOM without leaving Singapore?
2. File for new Social Visit Pass without leaving Singapore?
3. Go to my home country, let the new EP got approved and come back again?

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 9:06 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 9:33 pm

I don't know where you're from, but I have been here on an SVP and filed/received an extension on-line... very simple. If you can it would seem to make sense.

As an alternative I'd probably go to Phuket or Tioman for a couple of weeks...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 9:59 pm

If you are on an employment pass cancellation SVP it cannot be extended. You mus leave the country for around at least a week. Depending on what country you are from, you may be required to return to you home country before returning to Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 10:14 pm

There you go, there's your 360 degree answer, just in 2 parts.

sunraise

Post by sunraise » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 10:15 pm

Hi Sundaymorningstaple, may I know if this is the confirmed answer. As JR8 given some other option.

sunraise

Post by sunraise » Fri, 18 Jul 2014 10:16 pm

Oops, JR8 already acknowledged sundaymorningstaple answer. Thanks Guys

ludwig12

Post by ludwig12 » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 6:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are on an employment pass cancellation SVP it cannot be extended. You mus leave the country for around at least a week. Depending on what country you are from, you may be required to return to you home country before returning to Singapore.
Hi SMS. Is this policy that "Employment pass cancellation SVP can not be extended" documented anywhere? I tried to search MOM and ICA web site but did not find any reference to it.

Thanks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 26 Jul 2014 12:01 pm

ludwig12 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are on an employment pass cancellation SVP it cannot be extended. You mus leave the country for around at least a week. Depending on what country you are from, you may be required to return to you home country before returning to Singapore.
Hi SMS. Is this policy that "Employment pass cancellation SVP can not be extended" documented anywhere? I tried to search MOM and ICA web site but did not find any reference to it.

Thanks.
that reply is from a HR professional who handles EP/SP application and cancellations

me too have done EP/SP cancellation and when candidates tried an E Extension, 10 out of 10 times it was rejected and going in person to ICA didn't achieve anything either

for Asians / Asean member passport holders a hop to JB and return either earned them 3 day visa or denied entry ..

kurtrules

Post by kurtrules » Mon, 28 Jul 2014 3:17 pm

ludwig12 wrote:

Thanks.
The MOM issues a visit pass letter which also serves as an embarkation form. I checked mine; in paper itself, it's not mentioned that you cannot extend your stay if you are issued with cancellation SVP, but I guess it would be a norm to not extend the stay for such individuals, as mentioned by fellow forum members.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 28 Jul 2014 4:14 pm

kurtrules wrote:]

The MOM issues a visit pass letter which also serves as an embarkation form. I checked mine; in paper itself, it's not mentioned that you cannot extend your stay if you are issued with cancellation SVP, but I guess it would be a norm to not extend the stay for such individuals, as mentioned by fellow forum members.
the white form is the electronic DE card

for visa extensions you need to key in the DE card no, and when you key in a DE card no of a SVP issued for EP termination it always without fail, didn't get approval for extension

those days when Singapore was less crowded you could extend at ICA,. not anymore unless the former pass holder is a spouse or immediate relation of a SC / PR

ludwig12

Post by ludwig12 » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:20 am

ecureilx wrote: the white form is the electronic DE card

for visa extensions you need to key in the DE card no, and when you key in a DE card no of a SVP issued for EP termination it always without fail, didn't get approval for extension

those days when Singapore was less crowded you could extend at ICA,. not anymore unless the former pass holder is a spouse or immediate relation of a SC / PR
My wife recently lost her job due to a sudden corporate restructuring and was given the 30 day SVP when her EP was cancelled. We applied for her DP right away but it takes five weeks to process. Hence, there is a gap and her SVP is running out while the DP application still shows pending.

We went to ICA this morning with a Singaporean friend. The officer told us that they normally would not grant extension but gave her a 30 day extension which is very handy for me. The worst case scenario is my wife gets to take one week holiday and I will need to take care of the kids!

Anyway, thought to share this with the forum in case someone run into similar scenario, a local sponsor is a must. And do PM me if you are looking for a good marketing manager. :)

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:37 am

Is 5 weeks the norm for a DP pass? Slightly different scenario, but my EP and the DPs for my wife and kids were all issued within 24 hours of the application.

Now that my wife and I are both (or shortly will be) EP holders, we might face the same issue if one of us looses our job and has to convert back to a DP.

ludwig12

Post by ludwig12 » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:48 am

brian_singapore wrote:Is 5 weeks the norm for a DP pass? Slightly different scenario, but my EP and the DPs for my wife and kids were all issued within 24 hours of the application.

Now that my wife and I are both (or shortly will be) EP holders, we might face the same issue if one of us looses our job and has to convert back to a DP.
If either of you are EP holder and company applies for the DP online, it should be within 7 days as stated on MOM web site. In our case, because I am PEP holder, the DP application had to be filed manually via Singpost and the processing time is 5 weeks.

Hence, this scenario will only apply to spouse of PEP holders.