Singapore Expats

New SC Application: Help Needed in Assessing My Chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
rynera

New SC Application: Help Needed in Assessing My Chances

Post by rynera » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 1:36 pm

Hi all, I would greatly appreciate if you can help me out with your advice before I submit a SC application.

My profile:
- Malaysian Chinese, 34
- studied in junior college and NUS under ASEAN and GLC scholarship respectively
- graduated in 2005
- PR for 9 years.

Career:
- early employee of a high tech startup in Singapore
- job scope: overseas business development and govt liaison for business in Malaysia.
- As such, I have relocated to Malaysia for half a year by now.
- My pay is mostly stocks with monthly salary being a meagre SGD800 after CPF deduction
--> because the startup is still in R&D stage (zero revenue), only has angel funding and do not have plans to receive venture capital until a much later stage.
- Previously I had high paying jobs with annual salary >SGD100k for 3 years. Left to join a startup due to mid-life crisis.

Question 1:
If I apply for citizenship now, what is my chances of getting it approved?
- bearing in mind I work/live in Malaysia now and my pay is only SGD800 after CPF deduction.

Question 2:
What is the typical timeline from submission of SC application to approval these days?

Thank you all so much for your help! :)

ful babu
    Regular
    Regular

Post by ful babu » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 2:19 pm

1. You don't live in Singapore any more neither do you pay taxes anymore (800x12 not taxable). IMHO you should apply after you have started doing both of those, I am even concerned about your REP renewal next year, I presume you have obtained your PR through PTS scheme, hence you need to be employed in Singapore (last?) 3 years prior to the renewal

2. For Malaysian Chinese it could be less than 6 month ( example1 example2 ), but in general 6-12 months

mystic_river
    Chatter
    Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:52 am

He doesn't live in Singapore but as long as his payroll is in SG (making this assumption as he is still paying CPF), REP shouldn't be a problem, should it?

sundaymorningstaple
    Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 1:13 pm

It shouldn't be, but in today's climate, it's hard to tell how ICA will read it. Also, a lot will depend on whether the have abided by the law and notified ICA about their change of address (required by law). This 'could' be the ringer that catches them out. Same goes with their driving license.
    SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

midlet2013
    Chatter
    Chatter
    Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 1:20 pm

Since u mentioned Driving License, may I ask a question.

I got my Driving License when I was on EP and it has my Fin# on it. Now, I have NRIC. Do I need to notify and Change my Driving License.

Please let me know if you know.
    sundaymorningstaple wrote:It shouldn't be, but in today's climate, it's hard to tell how ICA will read it. Also, a lot will depend on whether the have abided by the law and notified ICA about their change of address (required by law). This 'could' be the ringer that catches them out. Same goes with their driving license.

the lynx
    Governor
    Governor
    Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 1:22 pm

midlet2013 wrote:Since u mentioned Driving License, may I ask a question.

I got my Driving License when I was on EP and it has my Fin# on it. Now, I have NRIC. Do I need to notify and Change my Driving License.

Please let me know if you know.
    sundaymorningstaple wrote:It shouldn't be, but in today's climate, it's hard to tell how ICA will read it. Also, a lot will depend on whether the have abided by the law and notified ICA about their change of address (required by law). This 'could' be the ringer that catches them out. Same goes with their driving license.
    Yes.

You need to update it with your new NRIC. Bring yourself, your old DL, $50 and NRIC (or even passport IIRC) to the Traffic Police HQ in Ubi to do it.

Because if you noticed, the one with your FIN has expiry date. PR and SC's DL doesn't have expiry date.