Singapore Expats

End of shopping and makan trips to JB?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 11:43 am

Was general groceries, but only worth to stock up a month or twos stuff at a time. It's also a break from Singapore, a change, and an opportunity to get a half decent lunch at half the price of Singapore.

Mostly it's just for the change and feeling of it being worthwhile and whilst we do save, it's not as much as before and we've noticed how, over the past year, the border is getting much worse at all times of the day, both in and out of Singapore.

It's not as low stress as it used to be.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 1:02 pm

I don't go for the shopping, just the roads, the space, the people and the food - Johor rather than JB. I normally eat at remote roadside stalls so don't have any particular recommendations. I do recall one place, a virtual shack, where all the vegetables and pineapple came from their own garden.

I see Sg isn't touching bikes so I hope I can continue to enjoy the delights of Malaysia at the same low cost.

I have friends who live there and drive to Sg each day. This will hit them pretty hard although they maintain that the cost and border delays are more than covered by the lifestyle they enjoy.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 17 Jul 2014 12:13 pm

Well, so much for wiping the surcharge off the table. Then again, even at this point it could still go either way.

To be continued...