Singapore Expats

How effective is the classified ads section?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
jonathan464

How effective is the classified ads section?

Post by jonathan464 » Sun, 13 Jul 2014 12:20 am

Hi, I was wondering how effective is the classifieds section? I see ads getting views but does it work? Don't really want to fork out anything if there's no mileage.

Any of you guys posted before? Care to share the experience?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 13 Jul 2014 7:27 am

jonathan464 wrote:Hi, I was wondering how effective is the classifieds section? I see ads getting views but does it work? Don't really want to fork out anything if there's no mileage.

Any of you guys posted before? Care to share the experience?
Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances. Just like every other classified board in Singapore. Otherwise, try Craigslist.

jonathan464

Post by jonathan464 » Sun, 13 Jul 2014 3:28 pm

hahahah. moderator.

is there a media sales kit i can have? or a link to it.

any like number of successful transactions in last x days stats?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 14 Jul 2014 5:24 am

jonathan464 wrote:hahahah. moderator.

is there a media sales kit i can have? or a link to it.

any like number of successful transactions in last x days stats?
The problem with any classified ads system stats is the people posting don't generally follow up with success or failure posts... true even for the big ticket classifieds like cars and motorbikes.

Further complicated by the fact that people advertise on multiple boards and with other media... even if they do mark the item as "sold", no telling where it actually was sold from.

Whether or not you get responses will depend a lot on what it is that you are selling and the perceived value in your asking price.

jonathan464

Post by jonathan464 » Mon, 14 Jul 2014 4:32 pm

but gumtree has a remove ad textbox with reason for delisting. able to get stats there no?

also usually other spaces have a media kit. what do i get for $8? listing forever? 14 days? a year? audience demography, number or active users, when are they active etc. media kit. where would i be able to find this info?

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Mon, 14 Jul 2014 5:03 pm

For $8, your ad will remain online until you remove it.

Only certain categories need to pay, most are free.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 5:51 pm

jonathan464 wrote:but gumtree has a remove ad textbox with reason for delisting. able to get stats there no?

also usually other spaces have a media kit. what do i get for $8? listing forever? 14 days? a year? audience demography, number or active users, when are they active etc. media kit. where would i be able to find this info?
Let me get this straight - you want a media kit for an $8 classified ad? :shock: :???:
Be careful what you wish for

jonathan464

Post by jonathan464 » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 8:17 pm

at least like an average number of page views per day or something. isnt that standard for any site?

or slipshod at least number of visitors per month.

or at least like on the first page post your ad put something like the ad will last forever. and how many edits. and what can be edited.

so can one theoretically do unlimited edits? like say today change picture, tomorrow change wording? so technically not removing the ad but just re-using the space? so then is $8 like opening a forever account for 1 space and can post different stuff for each month?

haha, mi amigo i'm not asking for a full blown ppt presentation and like brochures and proposed allocation of advertising spend or of samples and styles. just somewhere to read up on what its going to be.

maybe your streets are paved with gold. even if mine were, there should be at least a % chance for rate of return. this would be nicely communicated through what...1 paragraph on the ad post page?

jonathan464

Post by jonathan464 » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 8:23 pm

anyway, thank you all for your response. i dont think i like the direction this is heading. doesn't feel good.

you're all admins right? will one of you please delete this thread? thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 9:17 pm

jonathan464 wrote:at least like an average number of page views per day or something. isnt that standard for any site?

or slipshod at least number of visitors per month.

or at least like on the first page post your ad put something like the ad will last forever. and how many edits. and what can be edited.

so can one theoretically do unlimited edits? like say today change picture, tomorrow change wording? so technically not removing the ad but just re-using the space? so then is $8 like opening a forever account for 1 space and can post different stuff for each month?

haha, mi amigo i'm not asking for a full blown ppt presentation and like brochures and proposed allocation of advertising spend or of samples and styles. just somewhere to read up on what its going to be.

maybe your streets are paved with gold. even if mine were, there should be at least a % chance for rate of return. this would be nicely communicated through what...1 paragraph on the ad post page?
jonathan464 wrote:anyway, thank you all for your response. i dont think i like the direction this is heading. doesn't feel good.

you're all admins right? will one of you please delete this thread? thanks.

Just in case the OP get's any bright ideas........ :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers