Singapore Expats Forum

New motorcycles - taxes

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
Image
AVIS Car Rental
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3178
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:31 am

x9200 wrote:not doable in X9. Thick, plastic, modular mirrors also housing the indicators.

Image


wouldn't an x9-500 be an easier solution? i'd sure hate to lose the cargo bay under the seat... and some bikes don't look nice with a top box, but the x9 was meant to have a big one IMO.

think of all the beers you can carry. or perhaps think of all the beers you can no longer carry...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9286
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 9:07 am

Very valid remarks. I don't know any other motorbike that looks that good and have such huge cargo spaces as X9 with both the underseat one and the top-box. That's one of the reasons why I bought it. But ...

1) I don't think X9/500 is available (any longer) in Singapore. The current Piaggio X-like models are not looking that good (my subjective view), and the only 2/2b-class model is X10.

2) I don't like the Piaggio guys. After I bought X9 I tried to buy some accessories from them and despite few attempts (via Singapore and UK sites) never got any response. It is pretty normal in this country but it does not encourage me to buy their product once again

3) I question longer time durability of these motorbikes in this climate. For the mechanical/electric part I think they perform good (here and after judging from my single case). Only more recently I have some problems with the transmission - still running though and nobody can tell me what's wrong => it's ok, we don't see any problem as long as the bike is not completely down in the growing puddle of engine oil.
Apart from this, only the water pump needed to be replaced (and some minor parts of negligible cost), but many exterior, plastics parts are a disaster. They just don't last under this sun heat. I had first damages after two years of using, I also have to replace the windshield which did not survived cleaning with usual, gentle detergents (a generic, $30 replacement lasts already for 8 years).

4) FJR1300 has these two side boxes and they look good. They can take a full-face helmet, each. Both of them have probably bigger capacity then the X9 top box so I recon it should be enough (the top boxes for the FJR look so-so).
Besides, it is not difficult to guess why FJR1300 (apart form other things). It ils like a Super X9/1300 with more classy look and extra performance.

Image

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3178
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 3:53 pm

well, like an italian car, i assume italian bikes are just the same. if you take the time, it can be a sweet ride... some times.

what size is your helmet? if it's big(ish) - make sure you physically fit it in and ensure it shuts and locks.

have you tried a v-strom (the 650cc is very nice but the liter seems overkill for singapore roads)? it felt better although i like yamahas...

what about a burgman (650 too i think but with plenty of storage)?

try the vstrom (both models) before putting money down on the fjr.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Kwh1191
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 30 Jun 2014

Postby Kwh1191 » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 8:08 pm

Better bike=more ex.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9286
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 01 Jul 2014 4:12 am

taxico wrote:what size is your helmet? if it's big(ish) - make sure you physically fit it in and ensure it shuts and locks.

have you tried a v-strom (the 650cc is very nice but the liter seems overkill for singapore roads)? it felt better although i like yamahas...

what about a burgman (650 too i think but with plenty of storage)?

try the vstrom (both models) before putting money down on the fjr.

No doubts you can see my weak spot well. Burgman 650 is probably my 2nd favorite after the FJR but I expect it is priced very close to FJR (Burgman 400 is ~24k). V-storm 650 (my 3rd favorite) may be considered if the price is right (what I doubt is the case).
As I mentioned, FJR with the side boxes (that, if I decide to buy FJR I would buy or have anyway) beats any scooter internal space.

Why do you think FJR is not a good choice? It is an overkill for Singapore roads for sure, but so is anything exceeding 400cc.

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3178
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Tue, 01 Jul 2014 9:35 am

x9200 wrote:...Why do you think FJR is not a good choice? It is an overkill for Singapore roads for sure, but so is anything exceeding 400cc.


coz i preferred the liter vstrom over the fjr... even though i like yamahas!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10512
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 01 Jul 2014 10:22 am

The FJR is a fantastically sleek bike and at 1300 cc's virtually nothing can catch it. It's also very well appointed.

Uttering Bergman and FJR in the same sentence is like comparing hammered dog shit to a filet mignon steak... there just is no comparison because they are completely different classes of motorbikes.

If I had the $$$, the FJY would be very high on my lust... er... list... I'd consider it a serious option to the 1800 Wing.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9286
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 01 Jul 2014 5:56 pm

It is a completely different class when it comes to the performance but I would not call the Burgmans dog's shit. These are probably the best scooters in production and they look good too. Having said that, I still prefer FJR.

luminicious
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue, 09 Apr 2013
Location: Singapore

Postby luminicious » Wed, 02 Jul 2014 8:05 am

x9200 wrote:
taxico wrote:what size is your helmet? if it's big(ish) - make sure you physically fit it in and ensure it shuts and locks.

have you tried a v-strom (the 650cc is very nice but the liter seems overkill for singapore roads)? it felt better although i like yamahas...

what about a burgman (650 too i think but with plenty of storage)?

try the vstrom (both models) before putting money down on the fjr.

No doubts you can see my weak spot well. Burgman 650 is probably my 2nd favorite after the FJR but I expect it is priced very close to FJR (Burgman 400 is ~24k). V-storm 650 (my 3rd favorite) may be considered if the price is right (what I doubt is the case).
As I mentioned, FJR with the side boxes (that, if I decide to buy FJR I would buy or have anyway) beats any scooter internal space.

Why do you think FJR is not a good choice? It is an overkill for Singapore roads for sure, but so is anything exceeding 400cc.


Heh Heh. Yes I agree the FJR is an overkill for Singapore roads, but hey, Malaysia and Thailand have their doors opened! :P If the FJR is an overkill in Singapore, why not get the Kawa GTR instead? I kinda prefer the Kawa over the FJR given it's 6-speed gear box.. and it's a Kawa... :P

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10512
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 02 Jul 2014 11:14 am

x9200 wrote:It is a completely different class when it comes to the performance but I would not call the Burgmans dog's shit. These are probably the best scooters in production and they look good too. Having said that, I still prefer FJR.


Perhaps an over emphatic metaphor, for I too, agree, that if I were to choose a scooter, the Bergman, or perhaps a Silver Wing, would be very high quality bikes.

But, if you're in the bike parking lot at Orchard and you see a FJR next to a Bergman, I'd bet money which one you'd want to sit down on.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Wed, 02 Jul 2014 11:30 am

Filtering with a big bike is just a matter of practise. If you have panniers it helps if they don't protrude past the width of the handlebars. Allows you to judge the size of gaps you can squeeze into. Depending on the bike the biggest problem is often mirrors being at the same height as car mirrors, can make it harder to get past without a bit of manoeuvring.

Bigger bikes tend to handle better and this translates to a nicer ride through traffic. I have a 250 and 660. I'm using the 660 more as a commuter now and enjoying it.

I used to commute in London (1150 GS) and Sg traffic is a breeze by comparison, even allowing for the poor driving habits here.

FJR is a very nice bike and I've often thought about one of the big sports tourers, although not for Sg. A bike like that needs to be taken to Malaysia regularly.

Check out Looi's Motors, they do grey imports. The 250 came from Hong Leong and the 660 from Looi's. I generally prefer dealing with Looi's. For both bikes the price quoted was all inclusive.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9286
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 02 Jul 2014 8:32 pm

Kawasaki Concours is a great (including looking) bike too but I still prefer the FJR. No need for extra 100cc and 30kg.

Thanks for the comments bgd, pretty encouraging.

luminicious
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue, 09 Apr 2013
Location: Singapore

Postby luminicious » Thu, 03 Jul 2014 8:51 am

Sure man. Heh. Where are you getting your's from? It's a common practice that the main dealers sell it more expensive than the street dealers am I right?

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3178
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 7:30 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:The FJR is a fantastically sleek bike and at 1300 cc's virtually nothing can catch it. It's also very well appointed.

Uttering Bergman and FJR in the same sentence is like comparing hammered dog shit to a filet mignon steak... there just is no comparison because they are completely different classes of motorbikes.

If I had the $$$, the FJY would be very high on my lust... er... list... I'd consider it a serious option to the 1800 Wing.


the burgman is probably closer to what he is riding now... and IMO a reliable substitute for 500cc X9. i'm unsure what other maxi-scooter (>400cc) on the market now exists in singapore.

the fjr1300 is a great bike (torquey too... perhaps overly so) but i actually preferred the vstrom 1k after riding them back to back - albeit they are probably not meant to rival each other.

i note, of course, everybody has a different riding style/requirement...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests