Singapore Expats

Music

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 4:21 am

maneo wrote:The original "Beck's Bolero," with Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Keith Moon, John Paul Jones, and Nicky Hopkins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmO0OZC6Ifk

Apparently, Keith Moon busted the drum microphone at 1:39 resulting in cymbals only percussion after that.

Overall, a great moment for the impromptu band - the band that would have gone "down like a lead zeppelin."
Blimey, there's a piece of history; thanks for posting that. I never knew (or maybe I forgot) that Moonie (God bless him) played on the original version of Beck's Bolero.

Here's Jeff again with another great drummer - Vinnie Colaiuta - and Tal Wilkenfeld once more...

Jeff Beck - Crossroads 2007 - Big Block
Be careful what you wish for

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 9:38 am

Nice one Maneo :)

I think Moon was too out of this world to remain in it for long...

p.s. 'kin ell Mi Amigo, smokin' link there!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 11:23 am

JR8 wrote:@'Ratm..... having lots of fun listening to those links :)

Ta, might reply later!
thanks :D I haven't posted here in a while and today being Friday I might unearth a few songs that i haven't listened to ages.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 11:24 am

Mi Amigo wrote:
maneo wrote:The original "Beck's Bolero," with Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Keith Moon, John Paul Jones, and Nicky Hopkins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmO0OZC6Ifk

Apparently, Keith Moon busted the drum microphone at 1:39 resulting in cymbals only percussion after that.

Overall, a great moment for the impromptu band - the band that would have gone "down like a lead zeppelin."
Blimey, there's a piece of history; thanks for posting that. I never knew (or maybe I forgot) that Moonie (God bless him) played on the original version of Beck's Bolero.

Here's Jeff again with another great drummer - Vinnie Colaiuta - and Tal Wilkenfeld once more...

Jeff Beck - Crossroads 2007 - Big Block
Vinnie Colaiuta was the drummer on one of Megadeth's albums - The system has failed, he's a awesome drummer

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 3:15 pm

JR8 wrote:Nice one Maneo :)

I think Moon was too out of this world to remain in it for long...
Your link to "For What It's Worth" showed a black & white song by The Yardbirds on the side column, which made me think of Beck's Bolero, as that was just before Beck got booted out (as he ungraciously reminded everyone about at the Yardbirds induction to the R&R Hall of Fame).

Interesting thought about this impromptu band being a spin-off from The Yardbirds, but it was not to be, given all the "contractual obligations."
So yeah, Keith Moon didn't stay for long - apparently just a few hours to record and that was it.
But a bit of "Beck's Bolero" did make it into what became the spin-off, in "How Many More Times" on the 1st Led Zeppelin album.

Ex-Yardbirds made up some great groups - Led Zeppelin, Cream, Renaissance, Jeff Beck Group.

Oh, and that Yardbirds song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=kp ... Q&hl=en-GB

Thanks for the "FWIW" link.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 3:28 pm

Power Metal Songs

First up : Stratovarius - 4000 Rainy Nights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVAH9tuq2HA

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 4:22 pm

More Power Metal

Jag Panzer - Three Voice of Fate
This is from a concept album where each song is about a particular scene from Macbeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt0yIY8ibUk

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 4:49 pm

Power metal pt 3

Hammerfall a cheesy but catchy song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htKY2oD85rs

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 5:00 pm

Manowar - Warriors of the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ0sW7KOFhU

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 5:05 pm

Now for some Symphonic Metal

eternal tears of sorrow - prophetian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0pkHDKspf8

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 5:16 pm

Kamelot - Center of the Universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZvuw23-gyk

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 04 Jul 2014 7:56 pm

Stratovarius: reminds me of very early Iron Maiden. A bit ‘big’ and self-regarding all ‘death and thrones’, and ‘I shall vanquish thee!’ etc... Lynx might like it :) Good kind of stuff for when you’re having a karaoke night out in KL, and big power-gittar is everything
Jag Panzer!?: Translates as roughly ‘Hunter tank’, I think! Woah... early Iron Maiden again, cross-bred with Judas Priest. Ooh nice solo with a brief play on a baroque structure... clever/different.

Hammerfall – Nothing here really stands out. The overall is ok though. ‘temples, thunder, etc’ Gawd they do go on...

Manowar – Love the burning chains. More leather than if Alice Cooper owned a 50,000 acre ranch. Very 80’s. Didn’t know anyone still wrote music like this. ‘Warriors, thunder, destruction, pain, Gods’ etc.... there’s a pattern forming here.

ETOS – like 4-chord death-metal. Cute. The vocalist sounds German. Easy listening, complex, interesting, this one could really grow on me. Enjoying the lack of death, thunder, and general wrath-bolts from above :) Love the 3:30m-4m section [esp the keys, reminds me of Focus, if they’d cross-bred with the Stranglers!]....

Kamelot - 10+ minutes, not a good omen! Andrew Lloyd Webber makes a musical about early metal, with leggings, lip-gloss and lots of gay dancers. I lasted to 2:30, when it was seemingly going in to a loop

I think I’ll go back to ETOS, and follow some of the side-links too. Very nice recording/engineering on this track too, comes through *beautifully* over my PC. Thanks for that, something I wouldn’t have come across by myself, so great to have suggested. [Man he slays that guitar in the intro!!)

-- Just 1st listen immediate impressions, and much music tends to grow on me [show me a man who even gets Miles Davis within the 1st ten years of first hearing him] --

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 05 Jul 2014 7:27 am

That Jeff Beck version of Stratus made me dig out my old vinyl copy of Billy Cobham's Spectrum album, which includes the orginal version of that number, with Tommy Bolin on guitar and Jan Hammer on keyboards. Plus this insane opening track...

Billy Cobham - Quadrant 4

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 05 Jul 2014 2:43 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:That Jeff Beck version of Stratus made me dig out my old vinyl copy of Billy Cobham's Spectrum album, which includes the orginal version of that number, with Tommy Bolin on guitar and Jan Hammer on keyboards. Plus this insane opening track...

Billy Cobham - Quadrant 4
Hahaha, wow.... ber-last from the past! :) I had that album back in c76? and haven't heard it for a loooong time! I remember how Cobham's drumming stands out (is prominent in the mix) in what was then a most unusual extent. I think that was maybe the bands 'USP' back then - THAT drumming. So the guitar is not something I paid a huge amount of attention to before, it's nice though eh? :)

Cobham is still around. I remember a few years ago watching a video (I might have linked it here?) of him doing a breath-taking 'masterclass demo' at a musical instrument show.

'Celebrity musician death-match' him vs Neil Peart [Rush]? :lol:

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 05 Jul 2014 7:07 pm

Spectrum came out in 1974. I remember buying it within a year or so of its release, because at the time those of us in school bands went through a phase of buying albums in the 'virtuoso' genre. After hearing it for the first time I remember thinking "man, I might as well just give up now."

Stanley Clarke's School Days was a later (1976) addition to the 'masterclass' collection - it delighted and tormented my bass playing friends in equal measure...

Stanley Clarke - School Days (Full Album)

I remember the day after he first appeared on Whistle Test, just after the album came out - next day everyone was saying "Did you see that? He was playing chords on the bass FFS!"

Here's a later OGWT appearance with the late, great George Duke:

Stanley Clarke & George Duke - Schooldays

Happy school days remembered :)

Edit to add: This has set me off on a 'virtuoso' album binge. Another one in the collection is Livestock by Brand X. For those of you who thought Phil Collins was just a singer of soppy MOR songs, listen to this...

Brand X - Malaga Virgen (Livestock 1977)