Singapore Expats

book a cab

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
nanana
Chatter
Chatter

book a cab

Post by nanana » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 5:08 am

anyone has a reliable taxi number that I can call to book a cab in advance? I read on reviews that some cabbies never show up despite confirmation of bookings were made days in advance. We have flight to catch in wee hours. Can't risk that to happen. any suggestion?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: book a cab

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 9:13 am

nanana wrote:anyone has a reliable taxi number that I can call to book a cab in advance? I read on reviews that some cabbies never show up despite confirmation of bookings were made days in advance. We have flight to catch in wee hours. Can't risk that to happen. any suggestion?
I never had any problem calling a taxi at 3 am, comfort taxi

or start using Grab taxi ... works fine too

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 9:37 am

Whenever I scheduled a taxi with Comfort or SMRT in advanced with the iphone app they always showed up exactly when the confirmation said they would. I'd tend to book at 8-9pm for 5-6am trips to Changi the next morning.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:10 pm

I tried advance booking a couple of times, never could find a driver in the first place. Just call one in the morning, maybe avoid work rush hour (~ 8-9am).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 12:24 pm

AngMoG wrote:I tried advance booking a couple of times, never could find a driver in the first place. Just call one in the morning, maybe avoid work rush hour (~ 8-9am).
if you need advance booking for a morning try to call in the evening ... as day drivers will not accept Booking when they are on relief

the chance of booking success is high if you call in the evening as same driver will be on shift in early morning too, ..

anyway current booking work fine if you prep to leave 3 hours ahead ... in case it rains ...

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 2:25 pm

Has anyone tried this Uber cab lark?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 3:39 pm

QRM wrote:Has anyone tried this Uber cab lark?
In Singapore, it's only the "Uber Black Car". 3x-4x the price of a normal cab, and anytime the 'normal' cab apps would report cabs were unavailable (rush hour, rain, or both at the same time) so would Uber.

The places where Uber is making a big splash (that States mostly) has something else where any average guy with a car can moonlight as a cabby.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 28 Jun 2014 3:47 pm

isn't uber expensive?

plus I found Grab taxi effective in Manila too ... works fine ...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 29 Jun 2014 12:36 am

I've been stiffed twice on advance bookings for early airport runs by Comfort drivers and the company just doesn't care. They don't seem to understand that the whole point of an advance booking is to guarantee a taxi... they just say "sorry".

I'd recommend that you put a friend with a car on notice in case you are stiffed and cannot find a replacement taxi. It's what I had to do.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 29 Jun 2014 10:10 pm

I've heard good things about Grab but haven't tried it yet, wanted to see more feedback first.

There was just an article on this:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... don-madrid

"Several major European cities ground to a halt on Wednesday as licensed taxi drivers took to the streets in mass protests against the smartphone taxi app Uber."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 29 Jun 2014 10:47 pm

Brah wrote:I've heard good things about Grab but haven't tried it yet, wanted to see more feedback first.

There was just an article on this:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014 ... don-madrid

"Several major European cities ground to a halt on Wednesday as licensed taxi drivers took to the streets in mass protests against the smartphone taxi app Uber."
unlike Uber Grab Taxi is working with LTa and is complimenting the existing booking systems for the same licensed taxis .. though Comfort isn't so thrilled as Grand taxi is taking revenue out of comfort 's pocket

Grab taxi is great in Manila .. especially

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 8:28 am

I have used Grab Taxi many times over the last couple of months. I don't always get a taxi first try but a little perseverance over 5 minutes or so and I eventually get one.

Same with Comfort. I use their on line tool for advance bookings especially for airport runs and have never been let down.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:35 am

I did. It is very expensive. I only use it because I keep getting free points to redeem as rides. When the points finish, that's when I finish using.

*one time I lost track of my points, and ended up paying SGD40 for a Toyota Corolla to drive me from Buona Vista to MBS.