Singapore Expats

Helper/maid recommendation

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
Marble hill

Helper/maid recommendation

Post by Marble hill » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 12:02 pm

Hi, we are a family of four (married couple with two boys aged 8 weeks and 21 months) who are relocating to Singapore from the UK in November for two years.
I have been advised that the best way to get a maid/helper is by recommendation and ideally via transfer from family leaving Singapore. Does anyone know of any maids in this position?
General housekeeping and cooking required with some assistance with kids would great. Good English a must. Thank you for all your help.
Excited/ nervous to move!

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 12:30 pm

That's how I did it and I am very pleased with our lady.

Word of mouth once you arrive is easiest and checking the classifieds here, on the international women's group on Meet Up, the boards in Cold Storage and the British/American clubs or the helper website Anisya. From what I can gather, expat families that have a great lady make a big effort to make sure she has a good set up when they leave.

I know the move can be daunting with small children but best not to rush it, I think the stress of having somebody in the house whilst I was finding my feet would have cancelled out any benefit of extra hands.

Marble hill

Post by Marble hill » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 2:28 pm

Thank you so much for the tips re where to look once there and that's a valid point re additional stress on arrival : if honest I am just getting my head around the whole helper concept ! Albeit I know it's the norm out there.

Whilst writing any tips on good nurseries for my older son, who will be 2 when we get there : we are planning on living in district 11 or 10.

Thanks again

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 3:31 pm

I've heard good things about White Lodge but no experience myself.

It is the norm but some people do go with a part time service. I really like our lady but stuff like remembering to put a dressing gown on and having to explain everything would have tipped me over the edge. I needed to feel at home and admittedly that did mean a less than clean house and no babysits but I needed a routine before I could add to it.

Good luck with your move

B Sing

We can help

Post by B Sing » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 10:08 am

Hi Marble Hill,

We think we might be in a position to help you.
We are an Aussie family of three with a 2.5yr old girl and have been here 18 months.
Unfortunately we have just found out we will be leaving in Singapore at the end of November. Our helper is absolutely brilliant with kids. We have had other parents comment to us about how well she deals with all kids.
She loves to clean and is more than capable as a cook.

I have tried to send you a personal message but as I haven't posted enough (I only joined to send you this message) it will not allow me to. I can send you further details and pictures via private message or email if you like.

I understand you are arriving in November and it might be a bit much to have a helper straight away. We would like to send her home for Christmas.

Please let me know if this sounds suitable to you. We had heard some horror stories but her previous employer (another Brit spoke very highly of her and I can also provide his reference if you like).

Cheers

Motherang

Re: We can help

Post by Motherang » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 12:27 pm

B Sing wrote:Hi Marble Hill,

We think we might be in a position to help you.
We are an Aussie family of three with a 2.5yr old girl and have been here 18 months.
Unfortunately we have just found out we will be leaving in Singapore at the end of November. Our helper is absolutely brilliant with kids. We have had other parents comment to us about how well she deals with all kids.
She loves to clean and is more than capable as a cook.

I have tried to send you a personal message but as I haven't posted enough (I only joined to send you this message) it will not allow me to. I can send you further details and pictures via private message or email if you like.

I understand you are arriving in November and it might be a bit much to have a helper straight away. We would like to send her home for Christmas.

Please let me know if this sounds suitable to you. We had heard some horror stories but her previous employer (another Brit spoke very highly of her and I can also provide his reference if you like).

Cheers

Hi there I am new to Singapore from oz and to this forum so couldn't pm you I am interested in your helper for 3 and 5 yr old can you give me details if still available please I can email you? Thanks

Asheru

Post by Asheru » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 9:59 am

Same here, a couple a French with 15 months daughter coming from HK to Singapore in Nov and looking for a helper recommendation.

In Hk there are dozens of post recommending helpers every week. Here I can't see Any

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 11:06 am

Asheru wrote:Same here, a couple a French with 15 months daughter coming from HK to Singapore in Nov and looking for a helper recommendation.

In Hk there are dozens of post recommending helpers every week. Here I can't see Any
We don't allow them here in the regular forums. People are supposed to use the proper channels or the classifieds for that.

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 11:54 am

In addition to what Nak said, please have a look at the sticky at the top of this forum index for the only exceptions we are likely to make in this regard. - moderator

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic56695.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

B Sing

Family of two Architects

Post by B Sing » Sat, 26 Oct 2013 2:30 pm

Hi this is to the lady who sent me a private message asking me to put her in touch with our helper. (This forum wont let me reply to a private message).

Sorry but our helper has since found employment. I recommend asking around. The helpers usually have a great word or mouth network.

Cheers

Linda3

heper with reference to take care of my 2 kids (2 and 3 year

Post by Linda3 » Fri, 27 Jun 2014 10:42 am

Hi everybody,
I am mummy of a girl (3,5 years old) and a boy (24 months).
It's quite difficult everyday because they are very young both and they are very active.
Fortunately, they go to school.
We are French and we've been living for 1 year in Singapore.
Now, I would like to hire a maid but with reference because the children are very young and my boy doesn't speak for the moment so I need someone very patient and who loves young children.
Ideally, I am looking for a helper who stayed for a long time with the same employer (4 years and more) and speaks English.
I wait a lot from this website so please help me to find a good helper to take care of my children.
Thank you a lot
I am looking forward to reading you.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: heper with reference to take care of my 2 kids (2 and 3

Post by Saint » Fri, 27 Jun 2014 10:53 am

Linda3 wrote:Hi everybody,
I am mummy of a girl (3,5 years old) and a boy (24 months).
It's quite difficult everyday because they are very young both and they are very active.
Fortunately, they go to school.
We are French and we've been living for 1 year in Singapore.
Now, I would like to hire a maid but with reference because the children are very young and my boy doesn't speak for the moment so I need someone very patient and who loves young children.
Ideally, I am looking for a helper who stayed for a long time with the same employer (4 years and more) and speaks English.
I wait a lot from this website so please help me to find a good helper to take care of my children.
Thank you a lot
I used this website when recently looking for a helper

https://www.anisya.com/

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: heper with reference to take care of my 2 kids (2 and 3

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 27 Jun 2014 11:05 am

Linda3 wrote:Hi everybody,
You can read us ?? Haha :D

I dropped you a PM, in line with Saint's referred site ..

Good luck