Singapore Expats

Looking to apply SC

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Gandalf

Looking to apply SC

Post by Gandalf » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 12:26 am

Looking to apply SC as a family and be happy to hear what you all think our chances are.

European family, been in SG since 2010 , EP for 2 years and SCPR via Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers scheme just over 2 years now. We have 2 kids (Girl & Boy) both were born in Singapore 2010 & 2012. Wife is full time mom, I work as an MNC as Manager, base salary is now at 150k a year and plus/minus 4 -6 months of bonus a year. All in was 202k in 2013

We love the sights and sounds of Asia and we think Singapore being the safe & sound country, does tick all the boxes for us. (especially when it comes to raising kids), Us and the kids have many local friends. Wife and I think friends we made so far all are juts fantastic people. so we do not want a drag our feet any longer that is actually why we ve applied PR at the first place. We were told we could apply for SC 2 years after our approval. If all goes planed thinking transfer over savings and purchase a private apartment to live in.

Ohh by the way would it be better idea to bring over savings before the application or indicate our intention perhaps during our application process.

Cheers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 1:30 am

The money / apartment shouldn't be an issue (not material to the application). Personally I doubt you will be accepted (Eurotrash seem to be out of favour atm) but who knows? Good luck.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 1:46 am

You can apply after two years, much in the way you can apply for PR after six months. But I thought the guideline was to have at least one full REP renewal as a PR (Five+ years) to have a real chance.

Especially as a European who may not be the favored flavor. Also, which country are you coming from? That matters. Don't take it the wrong way, but I'm going to assume that someone looking to become SC so quickly and give up their home citizenship is probably from one of the less desirable (in the eyes of SG Gov) European countries.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 8:42 am

I'm kidding. Seeing Gandalf makes me want to do that... Sorry.

Anyway, was that 2-year explicitly mentioned in your approval letter or was it from the guideline you see in ICA website/verbally mentioned by officer?

If I were you, I'd stay for at least 2 rounds of REP renewals before I apply.

You didn't mention if your family are also PRs. Or is it just you?

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Looking to apply SC

Post by local lad » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 10:42 am

Gandalf wrote:Looking to apply SC as a family and be happy to hear what you all think our chances are..........European family, been in SG since 2010 , EP for 2 years and SCPR via Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers scheme just over 2 years now......... We have 2 kids (Girl & Boy) both were born in Singapore 2010 & 2012. ..........
FYI, your son will be conscripted once he turned 18.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 4:34 pm

All well noted (humour as well as the sarcasm)thank you though.

Although our intention has nothing to do with anything but the love & respect we have to this part of the world. This maybe bit hard comprehend for small / narrow minds (@PNGMK) ‘’ (European want an Asian Citizenship got to be trash) I guess one can’t blame him coz nowadays people easily tend to get brave & cocky when they are hiding behind a key boards. Fyi money / accommodation does matter unless government want liabilities in their population

@ the lynx: yes both wife & kids are PR .We have no issue with waiting till we have complete 5 years + to make it a strong application so we don’t waste ICA time but our letter of PR approvals did state we are welcome to apply SC after 2 years (thats where we though time is right) but considering the advice from yourself as well as zzm998 maybe we should delay our application. Thanks again

@local lad: I’m confident our son turns 18 he will be proudly serving in the army where he be calling it a home. thank you for the reminder though.
Last edited by Gandalf on Wed, 25 Jun 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 4:41 pm

Gandalf wrote: @ the lynx: yes both wife & kids are PR .We have no issue with waiting till we have complete 5 years or so to make it a strong application so we don’t waste ICA time but our letter of PR approvals did state we are welcome to apply SC after 2 years (thats where we though time is right) but considering the advice from yourself as well as zzm998 maybe we should delay our application. Thanks again.
Hmm. I do not know much whether the two-year invitation in the letter is only for specific PR recipients or every letter has one (not sure if there are instances where some PR recipients DO NOT have these lines in the letter). Need other people to comment on this part.

I'd assume that's a standing invitation, though, and yes you should apply after 2 years then.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 10:15 pm

Eurotrash may seem a bit harsh but the reality is that Europe has a lot of issues and some of those people carry those issues with them when they immigrate.

Gandalf

Post by Gandalf » Wed, 25 Jun 2014 11:38 pm

PNGMK wrote:Eurotrash may seem a bit harsh but the reality is that Europe has a lot of issues and some of those people carry those issues with them when they immigrate.
PNGMK , Good to hear that you at least acknowledge, it’s not may seems , it is indeed harsh to judge individuals and qualify them as trash based on where they come from. ( remember 1 man ain’t a country , country ain’t 1 man)

Also, I’m not sure what you mean by Europe having lot of issues and how you define those issues. Anyways I’m not here to talk politics , culture , racism nor religion if that’s what you referring as issues.

Just a humble reminder ; man is unfortunately not given a choice to choose their place of birth nor religion , however we are all gifted with intelligence/wisdom so one can make choices in their mature lifes and live that life in peace &harmony.That’s what we as a family trying to do here , best of luck with yours choices !!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 26 Jun 2014 10:22 am

Gandalf wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Eurotrash may seem a bit harsh but the reality is that Europe has a lot of issues and some of those people carry those issues with them when they immigrate.
PNGMK , Good to hear that you at least acknowledge, it’s not may seems , it is indeed harsh to judge individuals and qualify them as trash based on where they come from. ( remember 1 man ain’t a country , country ain’t 1 man)

Also, I’m not sure what you mean by Europe having lot of issues and how you define those issues. Anyways I’m not here to talk politics , culture , racism nor religion if that’s what you referring as issues.

Just a humble reminder ; man is unfortunately not given a choice to choose their place of birth nor religion , however we are all gifted with intelligence/wisdom so one can make choices in their mature lifes and live that life in peace &harmony.That’s what we as a family trying to do here , best of luck with yours choices !!!
Singapore is having issues with immigrants from certain Euro countries tis all. And unfortunately ICA tend to tar you with the same brush.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 26 Jun 2014 10:51 am

PNGMK wrote: Singapore is having issues with immigrants from certain Euro countries tis all. And unfortunately ICA tend to tar you with the same brush.
I hadn't heard this. Which countries are causing a problem, and what are they doing?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 26 Jun 2014 10:53 am

I dont know what issues PNGMK is talking about. Europeans are used to much better work life balance and are likely to demand the same from Singapore employers. Is that what you are hinting at PNGMK?

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Thu, 26 Jun 2014 11:01 am

JR8 wrote:
PNGMK wrote: Singapore is having issues with immigrants from certain Euro countries tis all. And unfortunately ICA tend to tar you with the same brush.
I hadn't heard this. Which countries are causing a problem, and what are they doing?
I suppose PNGMK is speaking from the Anton Casey case happened in the beginning of this year.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 26 Jun 2014 11:07 am

local lad wrote:
JR8 wrote:
I suppose PNGMK is speaking from the Anton Casey case happened in the beginning of this year.
Add on the Eastern European whores and mafia...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 26 Jun 2014 11:43 am

PNGMK wrote:
local lad wrote:
JR8 wrote: I hadn't heard this. Which countries are causing a problem, and what are they doing?
Add on the Eastern European whores and mafia...
Oh I thought he was Australian, like PNGMK hehe... well, he does live in Perth/WA.
So are ICA putting a block on EU-immigrants, because of Anton Casey?

As for the latter 'whores and mafia'.... wow, I haven't noticed or heard. Where are these said people, and what are they doing here?