Singapore Expats

Bl.ood st.ained Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Sing Along

Post by Sing Along » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:20 pm

Fortan wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:That's not national identity. What's your core? I'm just curious
I have to agree with that statement. That is national pride, not national identity. I can't see what and where your national identity can be hurt by foreigners and to be honest, I can't see where they hurt your national pride either? As an example of national identity, take the Chinese or the Thai's. They have a unique food culture. They have a unique language and scripts. They have a unique and very old musical (as well as instruments) culture. They have regional differences in traditional clothing. That is culture. National culture is defined by Geert Hofstede as: “Culture is the collective programming of the mind distinguishing the members of one group or category of people from others”
Last edited by Sing Along on Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:28 pm

yogaloungeforever wrote:Not just this thread but if you noticed other threads, it's very obvious!
Blade wrote:Hey fellows, what a bunch of hypocrites.
Here we go. The troll having a conversation with himself.

The next step is they start arguing... [oh yes] :lol:

Sing Along

Post by Sing Along » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:30 pm

Brah wrote:
Fortan wrote:What national identity is that? Can you explain to me what national identity a Singaporean has - except being born in Singapore? What makes a Singaporean unique? I am just curious as I can't see the identity here. What I see is the opposite - a lack of identity.

You don't have your own language, Singlish is taken from the neighboring countries mother tongue. A Singaporean is not Malay, you are not Chinese, you are not Indian but you are a Singaporean.

With a 49 year old 'culture' that I can't see…. This is not a post to piss on Singaporeans or anything along those lines, I just don't see any culture here except for eating and talking about food - and of course shopping.

However, I might be completely missing the Singaporean identity, even in my Singaporean friends… I just can't find it.
I have to agree with everything you wrote. I've been here longer than you and I have yet to find it either, and I have looked and integrated and ended up pulling out every time.

The culture is not much more that a lot of talking about food that is mediocre at best and pales in comparison with almost any other Asian nation, and shopping malls for things that are more expensive here than anywhere (?) else. It's just all so empty - safe, pleasant, but empty.

And before the Troll With Multiple Accounts reacts by telling people about leaving, well you have to realize that not everyone here who is not from here wants to be here or even enjoys being here.
To both,

Being a young nation, Singapore has borrowed it's culture heavily . It's true that our people all originated from other places at one time or another but over time, we have meshed these cultures into one that is our own. It may not be the most colorful or the most desired but from what I can see, we are moving in the right direction. Every country has their unique food and culture and regardless of how old or young the nation is, culture is always evolving.

If someone does not like or conform to the culture of the place, I rather they leave. Taking myself as an example, I cannot stand the culture in China, therefore I make a conscious decision not to involve myself there.

What we do not need most now is a step back, because of the failure of certain groups of people to integrate.

What I believe in and I'm sure what most people believe in, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Last edited by Sing Along on Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sing Along

Post by Sing Along » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:36 pm

Brah wrote:
Sing Along wrote:
Brah wrote: And promote. If anyone here on this thread does not think that every nationality does not favor their own, then you are kidding yourself.

There are always exceptions, but I see this all of the time and have even been victim to it myself (amongst foreign hiring managers). It makes no difference local or foreigner or which flavor of foreigner, it comes down to the person.
Hi, I guess you guess have to read my sentence again. "This is a social issue even among locals"

As locals, we do have many cases where chinese bosses prefer chinese, malay bosses prefer malays etc. But these jobs ultimately are going to back to Singaporeans raised and bred in Singapore with their parents having contributed to building the country.

Where else as a guest from another country, engaging in discriminatory hiring and promotion(sic), will rile up the locals. You may call if xenophobic or patriotic, depending on how you choose to view it. You can refer to any other country, be it first world or third world and see if this is a trend.
Nope, I was talking about Westerners from Country A preferring to hire Westerners from Country A over Westerners from Country B, etc. and how favoritism is not just at the local/non-local level.
That, I am not disagreeing.

The only point I want to make is that if someone hire only Britons in Paris, they are going to start hearing from the locals soon, despite the EU labor laws.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:41 pm

yogaloungeforever wrote:Well racist incidents are already happening on a wide scale in Australia, does that form the Aussie national identity? Or take the instance of HK now not allowing Pinoys to take up PR in HK, does that form HK's national identity?
Fortan wrote:...... If I were to ask people who don't live here but who have visited, they would say the national culture here is food and shopping and to a certain degree the Singlish language, although it is partly borrowed, it is still unique. How is Philippine (or others) going to take your national pride away? How are they going to take your national identity away from you? They can't…… If the xenophobic views continues to spread and hatred builds towards foreigners, that will become part of your reputation and national identity. I am not sure you really want that.
Yes, in fact it does. It portrays these nations and becomes part of their identity. Racism in Australia started way back when they decided to start killing the aboriginals and THAT is also part of their national identity today. Although I do believe they would rather be without it.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:46 pm

well, it's kinda associated with Australia now that I think they are proud of it. Just about every other day I am hearing from friends over there on petty cases of racism.

Fortan wrote:
yogaloungeforever wrote:Well racist incidents are already happening on a wide scale in Australia, does that form the Aussie national identity? Or take the instance of HK now not allowing Pinoys to take up PR in HK, does that form HK's national identity?
Fortan wrote:...... If I were to ask people who don't live here but who have visited, they would say the national culture here is food and shopping and to a certain degree the Singlish language, although it is partly borrowed, it is still unique. How is Philippine (or others) going to take your national pride away? How are they going to take your national identity away from you? They can't…… If the xenophobic views continues to spread and hatred builds towards foreigners, that will become part of your reputation and national identity. I am not sure you really want that.
Yes, in fact it does. It portrays these nations and becomes part of their identity. Racism in Australia started way back when they decided to start killing the aboriginals and THAT is also part of their national identity today. Although I do believe they would rather be without it.
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 9:51 pm

What's our national identity?

Its our Cultural Diversity and the fact that peoples,religions,cultures,ethnic groups can co-exist [so far so good] without taking a machete to your neighbor. [see East Timor welcome parade for West Timorese]

Heads up: do realize how many denominations of Malayo groups we have here all living without outward friction? haven't even touched on the Sikhs,North Indians,South Indians and their historical friction points.

The 4 races live in relative peace now -it wasn't like that not long ago.
See Grasshopper, the Gov has no time to address "Kindness deficits"[BBC reporter] they are too busy running a diverse Island state [we are not a country]

As some genius said we only "49 Years old" so how to have a entrenched national identity?
So come back in a hundred years and ask again will you..?

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:38 pm

Blade wrote:What's our national identity?

Its our Cultural Diversity and the fact that peoples,religions,cultures,ethnic groups can co-exist [so far so good] without taking a machete to your neighbor. [see East Timor welcome parade for West Timorese]

Heads up: do realize how many denominations of Malayo groups we have here all living without outward friction? haven't even touched on the Sikhs,North Indians,South Indians and their historical friction points.

The 4 races live in relative peace now -it wasn't like that not long ago.
See Grasshopper, the Gov has no time to address "Kindness deficits"[BBC reporter] they are too busy running a diverse Island state [we are not a country]

As some genius said we only "49 Years old" so how to have a entrenched national identity?
So come back in a hundred years and ask again will you..?
Multiculturalism.... Diversity. Do you see the irony in the issue against foreigners and how you think Filipinos are destroying your culture because we're, as you said imposing our culture? You do realize I asked because I was waiting for you to say this..this is too easy.

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:45 pm

Singapore context lah, Cultural diversity vis the 4 main races here .

Pinoy is not a Race.Hence irrelevant.Get it?

Blade
Regular
Regular

Post by Blade » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:03 pm

Hello there, since you are Pinay can i ask this question since it's caused many inconveniences during work:

Many times i come across situations where the Tornatrás basically don't interact with the Negrito or Moros ethnic groups and show outward contempt towards each other.

I thought you were all happy singing,dancing Filipinos.

Very perplexing for me as I have to integrate these two types.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:14 pm

Blade wrote:Singapore context lah, Cultural diversity vis the 4 main races here .

Hello? There are only three main races here. Where got four? I hope you don't think Eurasians are a Race. They are the Heinz 57's of Singapore and Malacca a mixture of the other races injected with white Europeans. Just because Singapore calls them a 'race' doesn't mean it's so. They are mixes, nothing more.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:16 pm

couldn't help but laugh at the last bit ... but I'd better, oops, scoot off before Bozo the clown sees this :D
Blade wrote:Hello there, since you are Pinay can i ask this question since it's caused many inconveniences during work:

Many times i come across situations where the Tornatrás basically don't interact with the Negrito or Moros ethnic groups and show outward contempt towards each other.

I thought you were all happy singing,dancing Filipinos.

Very perplexing for me as I have to integrate these two types.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:19 pm

I think Blade meant for the Sikhs to be the 4th race

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Blade wrote:Singapore context lah, Cultural diversity vis the 4 main races here .

Hello? There are only three main races here. Where got four? I hope you don't think Eurasians are a Race. They are the Heinz 57's of Singapore and Malacca a mixture of the other races injected with white Europeans. Just because Singapore calls them a 'race' doesn't mean it's so. They are mixes, nothing more.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 21 Jun 2014 8:44 am

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 21 Jun 2014 8:56 am

nakatago wrote:Image
This has to be premeditated.