Singapore Expats

Car tyres go bald very quickly

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
prbaines

Car tyres go bald very quickly

Post by prbaines » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 10:41 am

Is it just me or do everyone's tyres deteriorate very quickly here in SG? In Canada, tyres would last years. Here in Singapore, I am on my third set of tyres after just two and a half years on our BMW 320i.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:02 am

First set on the Kia I'm driving got 90K before replacing. But they were hard tires and crap in the rain. Now running Firestones because of the much softer compound so they will probably wear a lot faster, but at least I've got some traction in the wet, comparatively speaking.

I reckon all the parking lots with circular ramps and the constant jockeying people tend to do on the roads also contribute to more rapid wear as well. at least on the outer & inner treads which will still cause the tires to fail inspection even though the centres are not down to the wear marks.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:03 am

Not sure but it looks it may be you or the car at least judging from our Honda Airwave and the motorbike. For the later I typically change the rare tire ca every 2y (unless punctured) but I am a heavy weight guy that tends to forget about maintaining the proper tire pressure. The front tire I changed only ones after 7y of riding and only because I thought it was old enough and should be replaced. For the car in 2y we have it there is some noticeable wear during this period but nothing really extensive. Both are used for regular commuting, 30-50 km/day average.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:12 am

The constantly high temps and humidity don't help. Also driving in MY is hard on tyres (I've wrecked four on a single day up there). The AA advise drivers here to change tyres every 3 (?) years as the rubber deteriorates in the climate.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Car tyres go bald very quickly

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:14 am

prbaines wrote:Is it just me or do everyone's tyres deteriorate very quickly here in SG? In Canada, tyres would last years. Here in Singapore, I am on my third set of tyres after just two and a half years on our BMW 320i.
Are the rears or fronts going faster? Get a wheel alignment done and perhaps have the suspension bushings all changed - they also deteriorate in this climate and wheel alignment won't stay true if the bushings are not taut.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:35 pm

I think I got about 40k out my tyres, but I drive like a Muppet.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

boyfriend

Post by boyfriend » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 4:27 pm

In Singapore, there is limited opportunity to speed unlike neighbouring countries like Malaysia.

So I am puzzled why your tyres go bald easily if your average speed is 80km/hour or even top speed at 130kim/hour?

What car do you drive??

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 9:06 pm

@boyfriend, yet another meaningless post of yours clearly showing that you respond to the posts you did not bother to read.

watching_a_sunset
Regular
Regular

Post by watching_a_sunset » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 9:20 am

BMW 3rd set just after 2 years??? hmm your either running on big wheels with low profiles.... or you need to get your alignment sorted out ! I'm on my 1st set and its been 1 and half years. mr2 spyder.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sat, 28 Dec 2013 6:36 pm

I agree about the wheel alignment. Also, if your power steering isn't working well, get it fixed. Poor power steering can cause tires to go bad within a few months.

The thing is that lots of people don't want to put too much money into car maintenance here because the cars get scrapped when they are 10 years old.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sun, 29 Dec 2013 3:52 pm

You didn't say how many km you've driven. We drive a Camry and replace the tyres after 5 years and 52,000km.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 30 Dec 2013 5:03 am

BedokAmerican wrote:I agree about the wheel alignment. Also, if your power steering isn't working well, get it fixed. Poor power steering can cause tires to go bad within a few months.

The thing is that lots of people don't want to put too much money into car maintenance here because the cars get scrapped when they are 10 years old.
How does "poor power steering" cause tires to go bad?

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 30 Dec 2013 8:12 am

It doesn't. Maybe its just the explanation, a worn steering box could affect trye wear.

DarwinLim

Post by DarwinLim » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 11:30 pm

tires come in different quality.
best to get those made in Japan, Bridgestone is a good brand, tried, tested and proven.