Singapore Expats

Working In Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 3:45 pm

OP,

S Pass at SGD4000/month is the minimum you need to be able to bring your family in. Frankly, you need way more than that to make it work. That's why other regulars here advised going for EP level instead.

Sounds like you're from a very niched background. I wish you luck in securing a very good package for a comfortable life for your family.

For the sake of your family, please make sure you are prepared for a mentally and morally sterile environment for your child's growth. Takeaway notes from this discussion: Schools are expensive, cars are expensive, healthcare is expensive, property ownership is expensive, real-life education is expensive.
Income tax is not, local food is not, local products are not, public transportation is not.

Cheap and subsidised stuff is only available to citizens. Are you ready to trudge for minimum 8 years before you could even be given an opportunity to join the citizenry?

The rest of us,

If OP has rainbow ideas of Singapore, why ruin it for him? Let him experience it himself. Plus he said he has done his research. Let the results of his research speak for itself, especially after the typical one-year honeymoon living in Singapore.

Yup, we all know that feeling, very much. Sometimes it is hard to relay this experience to outsiders who are already in love in Singapore.

It is the very same way many people here are in love with Australia, and would not stop at anything to move to Australia.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 3:57 pm

People should not build their future based on illusion but solid information. They deserved to be warned that the image they perceived during some few limited time trips may significantly differ from reality. You say he's done his homework. Well, see how many holes are in it. Lots of basic and most crucial information is missing. I wish the OP all the best but if he is wrong the disappointment and consequences will be a bit bigger then a bad meal in a fancy restaurant. My 2c worth.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 4:58 pm

dancer30 wrote:In regards to the pass, I got told I would need a s-pass cause if I want to bring in my wife and son that is the pass I need.
I am not going to comment on your decision to move to SG anymore, since you seem to be quite convinced to go. FYI, I recently left Singapore after 7+ years there, and have not regretted the decision at all. One thing that was a major gripe for me towards the end was being unable to plan for the future - even if you have an EP (or S-Pass), there is no guarantee that it will be renewed again; the rules for which ones will be renewed are opaque and change every year. That was simply no way to live for me.

Let me just say that you were ill advised in terms of pass. S-Pass at S$4K is the minimum you need to get your wife and child in, if it is approved. However, you would probably be much better off getting an EP, which is targeted at higher-income, higher-level professionals (either highly specialized, quite experienced or managerial). While there is some overlap with these two passes in terms of salary bracket, there are quota restrictions for companies for S-Passes and foreign worker levy to be paid by the company, both of which do not apply to EPs.

Nevermind that, as mentioned before, S-Pass salary levels would likely mean a huge drop in terms of quality of life for you and your family. (Unless, of course, you earn $8K and still have an S-Pass, which is not unheard of.)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 5:43 pm

There are plenty of white recruitment consultants working especially for Finance/Finance IT recruitment roles for the likes of Robert Walters, Ambition(Australian company ;) ), Ikas, Ashton Carter, Hays, Kelly, Aurec(also has office in Australia) etc. Most of them are British but many are Australian as well. I have plenty of them in my Linked In connections.

There must be something working for them, thats why they are here. I guess, Linked In should be your 1st line of attack.

RoastBeefBaron

Post by RoastBeefBaron » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 9:17 pm

dancer30 wrote:There is heaps of reasons to move from Australia, the crime rage here is just terrible, the people are rude, aggressive and slobs and quite honestly I don't want to bring up my child in this country the way it is going.
Crime rate (sorry, rage) is 'just terrible' in Perth? Where on earth do you live, above the main train station?

You sound like you're annoyed with something. Going to Singapore on 4k/month with a family is not a good idea.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 9:30 pm

ecureilx wrote:ICA says 30 day visa on arrival for Au passport holders
Really? I have always got 90 days including recently this year for my son.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 9:52 pm

RoastBeefBaron wrote:
dancer30 wrote:There is heaps of reasons to move from Australia, the crime rage here is just terrible, the people are rude, aggressive and slobs and quite honestly I don't want to bring up my child in this country the way it is going.
Crime rate (sorry, rage) is 'just terrible' in Perth? Where on earth do you live, above the main train station?

You sound like you're annoyed with something. Going to Singapore on 4k/month with a family is not a good idea.
Well I actually empathize after living in Perth. I remember a happy feeling on the one way flight out and commenting to each other that 5 years is a lifetime quota for this city. Many will disagree and some think I'm crazy when I mention this, but Perth is one of the most isolated cities in the world and it's not everyone's cup of tea.

But dancer30, I would also heed the caution and not act rashly to relocate your family if there is some recent situation or incident you are reacting to. Take your time if you have it and make sure it's the right move and conditions if you can get it. Good luck

dancer30

Post by dancer30 » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 4:13 pm

Thankyou for the reply.

Yes I agree perth is one of the most isolated cities in the world. I have lived in perth all my life and at this point in my life it is time to move on. Don't get me wrong there are some nice people in Perth but overall the way the city is going people just have no respect for the city like they used to not like In Singapore where at least people respect there city and there laws are tough which if Australia bought those laws in Perth and all the other states would be a much better place to live.

This is my opion and not everyone will agree, in my opion I think Singapore overall is better structured.

Unfortunately it is just going to get worse here in perth as the years go on, I know everyone is saying Singapore can be quiet expensive but when I have planned for it like I have, put money aside and looked into costs of
Living I know what I am up of that is why I have saved money for a while as a nest egg while getting setup over there.

I guess if there is anyone that can help by maybe pointing me towards a company or companies where maybe I can get my foot in the door quicker and hopefully secure a job that would great, wd40 gave some good companies if anyone else has any other ideas I am more than happy to listen.

Once again thankyou so much for all your advice, it has been very helpful

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Wed, 18 Jun 2014 5:24 pm

Well I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence :D
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 19 Jun 2014 9:05 am

OP, maybe you should read this thread:
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... asc-0.html

This is the new coming louder and louder, or a side product of the Singapore success. Actually it is not the new. It is here already for some time. It just begins to surface loud and clear. Don't make a mistake thinking it is only about the Filipinos.

Dubaiexpat

Post by Dubaiexpat » Thu, 19 Jun 2014 12:21 pm

dancer30 wrote:Thankyou for the reply.

Yes I agree perth is one of the most isolated cities in the world. I have lived in perth all my life and at this point in my life it is time to move on. Don't get me wrong there are some nice people in Perth but overall the way the city is going people just have no respect for the city like they used to not like In Singapore where at least people respect there city and there laws are tough which if Australia bought those laws in Perth and all the other states would be a much better place to live.

This is my opion and not everyone will agree, in my opion I think Singapore overall is better structured.

Unfortunately it is just going to get worse here in perth as the years go on, I know everyone is saying Singapore can be quiet expensive but when I have planned for it like I have, put money aside and looked into costs of
Living I know what I am up of that is why I have saved money for a while as a nest egg while getting setup over there.

I guess if there is anyone that can help by maybe pointing me towards a company or companies where maybe I can get my foot in the door quicker and hopefully secure a job that would great, wd40 gave some good companies if anyone else has any other ideas I am more than happy to listen.

Once again thank you so much for all your advice, it has been very helpful
Move to Dubai , its much cheaper than Singapore, cars costs half what they do in Oz let alone Sing, housing is about half to 2/3rds as much as Sing, its at least as safe as Sing, no tax, no rain! Driving is crazy but that maybe par for the course.

However unlike Singapore the Chinese food in Dubai is terrible! There are lots of western recruitment agents working in Dubai.

dancer30

Post by dancer30 » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:14 am

Hi Dubaiexpat

Thanks for the information. Do you live there?

Is it as hard to get employment and a pass into Dubai to live and work as Singapore cause it's pretty hard trying to get one in Singapore??

Is there a strict law on what clothing you can wear for women and men, that's what I heard but I could be wrong??

Would I just google recruitment companies in Singapore or do you know of some of the popular ones that would take on westerners like myself??

Do you know if these companies pay well, is the standard of living better and more affordable than Singapore??

dancer30

Post by dancer30 » Fri, 20 Jun 2014 12:18 am

Sorry I made an error in the question I meant to ask the following:

Would I just google recruitment companies in Dubai or do you know of some of the popular ones that would take on westerners like myself??