Singapore Expats

NS $75000 bond…for overseas studies

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Yixianlovesmoney

NS $75000 bond…for overseas studies

Post by Yixianlovesmoney » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 3:25 am

Hi guys ! I'm new here in this forum and I would appreciate your help. I'm holding a dual citizenship Singapore and Thai . I know that I must serve national service because I'm holding a pink ic and a sg passport , I'm not trying to escape or skip national service . In fact , I'm fine serving ns . :) one thing that frustrate me was the exit permit bond for oversea studies $75000 or 50% of both parents annual income …… $75000 where do u expect me to get the money ? I'm a sec 4 student this year and I plan to study college in US next year for 2 years and planning to get US citizenship after serving ns and study university in US. My dad is willing to pay for my college fees but he can't afford the bond …… I went back to thailand with my mom to borrow money for the bond $75000 which is abt 2000000 Thai baht, but my relative is not willing to lend us this money . I can't skip NS because my friends and parents are here if I really do that I can't get to see my friends and parent anymore . Is there anyways to solve this situation ? Thank you !

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: NS $75000 bond…for overseas studies

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 4:08 am

Yixianlovesmoney wrote:Hi guys ! I'm new here in this forum and I would appreciate your help. I'm holding a dual citizenship Singapore and Thai . I know that I must serve national service because I'm holding a pink ic and a sg passport , I'm not trying to escape or skip national service . In fact , I'm fine serving ns . :) one thing that frustrate me was the exit permit bond for oversea studies $75000 or 50% of both parents annual income …… $75000 where do u expect me to get the money ? I'm a sec 4 student this year and I plan to study college in US next year for 2 years and planning to get US citizenship after serving ns and study university in US. My dad is willing to pay for my college fees but he can't afford the bond …… I went back to thailand with my mom to borrow money for the bond $75000 which is abt 2000000 Thai baht, but my relative is not willing to lend us this money . I can't skip NS because my friends and parents are here if I really do that I can't get to see my friends and parent anymore . Is there anyways to solve this situation ? Thank you !
Why can't you serve NS then study? I can't say I blame Mindef here, you've very clearly laid out your plans to not remain in Singapore or a Singaporean, so there is no way anyone would take you at your word to just come back and serve after school.

You should also realize that by the details you've made in your post, anyone in the government who cares will know exactly who you are. How many males do you think there are in Singapore with Singaporean fathers and Thai mothers who are in Sec 4, and were just told they need a $75k bond to study overseas? And in case there is doubt, they know about how much your parents IRAS tax filings are for so they can cross reference that also.

This is completely ignoring the possibility your given name is 'Yi Xian'.

Yixianlovesmoney

Post by Yixianlovesmoney » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 4:27 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Yixianlovesmoney wrote:Hi guys ! I'm new here in this forum and I would appreciate your help. I'm holding a dual citizenship Singapore and Thai . I know that I must serve national service because I'm holding a pink ic and a sg passport , I'm not trying to escape or skip national service . In fact , I'm fine serving ns . :) one thing that frustrate me was the exit permit bond for oversea studies $75000 or 50% of both parents annual income …… $75000 where do u expect me to get the money ? I'm a sec 4 student this year and I plan to study college in US next year for 2 years and planning to get US citizenship after serving ns and study university in US. My dad is willing to pay for my college fees but he can't afford the bond …… I went back to thailand with my mom to borrow money for the bond $75000 which is abt 2000000 Thai baht, but my relative is not willing to lend us this money . I can't skip NS because my friends and parents are here if I really do that I can't get to see my friends and parent anymore . Is there anyways to solve this situation ? Thank you !
Why can't you serve NS then study? I can't say I blame Mindef here, you've very clearly laid out your plans to not remain in Singapore or a Singaporean, so there is no way anyone would take you at your word to just come back and serve after school.

You should also realize that by the details you've made in your post, anyone in the government who cares will know exactly who you are. How many males do you think there are in Singapore with Singaporean fathers and Thai mothers who are in Sec 4, and were just told they need a $75k bond to study overseas? And in case there is doubt, they know about how much your parents IRAS tax filings are for so they can cross reference that also.

Appreciate ur reply , just to let you know that in US I'm planning to study "basics"'which means study in a college for 2 years and university 4 years people in US goes to college at the age of 18 you cant expect me to study in college at the age of 20+ right ? And my migrating plan was after NS , I don't wish to get into any kind of trouble like getting arrested in airport for NS issues . So my plan was to serve NS and leave Singapore legally , I know that SG govt is no joke especially when it comes to conscription in the military . Even thought Singapore willing to let me renounce my SG citizen now …I still have to serve army in thailand and in order to get away from army in thailand was to give bribe like what my uncle did last time and the risk was a long term jail sentence , they don't accept ur bribe u will be charged for bribery . I know that life was very difficult especially in Singapore , I'm also trying to look for friends , teacher or maybe principal that could help me right now …

Lastly I don't think there is something to do with my given name … my name in chinese was 懿献 yi means "her highness order or a queen order " xian means contribution to the society . What does my situation gotta do with my given name ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 7:41 am

Yixianlovesmoney wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

Appreciate ur reply , just to let you know that in US I'm planning to study "basics"'which means study in a college for 2 years and university 4 years people in US goes to college at the age of 18 you cant expect me to study in college at the age of 20+ right ? And my migrating plan was after NS , I don't wish to get into any kind of trouble like getting arrested in airport for NS issues . So my plan was to serve NS and leave Singapore legally , I know that SG govt is no joke especially when it comes to conscription in the military . Even thought Singapore willing to let me renounce my SG citizen now …I still have to serve army in thailand and in order to get away from army in thailand was to give bribe like what my uncle did last time and the risk was a long term jail sentence , they don't accept ur bribe u will be charged for bribery . I know that life was very difficult especially in Singapore , I'm also trying to look for friends , teacher or maybe principal that could help me right now …

Lastly I don't think there is something to do with my given name … my name in chinese was 懿献 yi means "her highness order or a queen order " xian means contribution to the society . What does my situation gotta do with my given name ?
He just means that your name along with the other information, would possiblygive the government all the data they need to know who you are and what you are planning.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 7:53 am

Yixianlovesmoney wrote:[just to let you know that in US I'm planning to study "basics"'which means study in a college for 2 years and university 4 years people in US goes to college at the age of 18 you cant expect me to study in college at the age of 20+ right ?
Yes, this is commonly called Community College in the US. You then go on to a get your four-year degree at a larger university, and quite often most of your credits from community college will transfer over if you did everything right. There's absolutely no reason at all why you can't start all of this after NS.

My point with your name is that if you're giving us details you didn't already give to Mindef (like emigration plans) they now have it. This could factor against you if you try to get them to lower that bond or anything else.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 11:09 am

Yixianlovesmoney wrote:Appreciate ur reply , just to let you know that in US I'm planning to study "basics"'which means study in a college for 2 years and university 4 years people in US goes to college at the age of 18 you cant expect me to study in college at the age of 20+ right ?

...I know that life was very difficult especially in Singapore , I'm also trying to look for friends , teacher or maybe principal that could help me right now …
okay, firstly, there are many singaporeans that study after finishing NS. and not everyone in college is 19. so, yes, there are plenty of 20+ students in college. many students also have to repeat years due to poor results. THERE IS NO SHAME IN BEING A MATURE STUDENT (ie, old) OR AT LEAST A FEW YEARS OLDER THAN YOUR PEERS. in fact, it's better because you can buy beers.

secondly, i am not really sure what basics are. community college gives you your first year or two, and then you transfer to a 4 year college for the other 2-3 years. i'm not really sure what "basics" is. FYI: O levels + SATs can get you into a respectable 4 year college. A levels/diplomas are not necessary although you can get (some) college credits for your 2-3 years of hard work.

finally, as zzm has recommended - simply finish up NS here (early enlistment at NS.sg) before going to college will save you all that trouble of running around borrowing money from any and everyone. you have no big problems except to reapply to school for the proper year of admission - seeing that you're enrolling in some sort of prep school (i assume in a place like choate), they will be happy to accommodate you.

there's no real need to run around asking what to do about that bond. your real problem is in avoiding thai NS legally and perhaps "luckily." good luck!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 11:24 am

Yixianlovesmoney wrote:Hi guys ! I'm new here in this forum and I would appreciate your help. I'm holding a dual citizenship Singapore and Thai...

...I'm a sec 4 student this year and I plan to study college in US next year for 2 years and planning to get US citizenship after serving ns and study university in US.

My dad is willing to pay for my college fees but he can't afford the bond …… I went back to thailand with my mom to borrow money for the bond $75000 which is abt 2000000 Thai baht, but my relative is not willing to lend us this money...
if you get good grades, in most colleges there are plenty of financial aid you can apply to - this will relieve your dad of some financial burden. IF you get good grades (need not be spectacular A**** grades).

someday you're gonna look back at the posts you have made on the internet and wonder if your life choices were correct.

anyway, here is the excerpt from MINDEF:

"Overseas Studies

NS-liable persons graduating from September 2011 onwards may be granted deferment to pursue full-time overseas studies (up to the GCE 'A' Levels, Polytechnic Diploma or their equivalent qualifications) if they are able to commence their courses before 19 years old (for Secondary 4 students) or 20 years old (for Secondary 5 & ITE students), as at 1st January of the course commencement year. The higher cut-off age will apply to courses commencing from 1st January 2012 onwards.

NS-liable persons will be required to apply for an exit permit for overseas trips of 3 months and longer and will be required to furnish a bond of $75,000 or an amount equivalent to 50% of the combined annual gross income of both parents for the preceding year, whichever is higher."

depending on which college you go to, you might be able to come back to singapore every 3 months (-1 day) and you need not furnish a bond.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 4:02 pm

Yixianlovesmoney wrote: Appreciate ur reply , just to let you know that in US I'm planning to study "basics"'which means study in a college for 2 years and university 4 years people in US goes to college at the age of 18 you cant expect me to study in college at the age of 20+ right ?
There's no reason you need to go to college at the age of 18.
Many (if not most) of those don't really know what they are doing when they go to college straight out of high school.

Way back when I was in the university I found the best, most focused students were those that had some other life experience.
This was especially true of those enrolled on the GI Bill (this was along time ago), which meant they had already done their military service.

You should reconsider this do-the-NS-now option.
Maturity may help you make the most of your time.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 8:46 pm

^ Good point there. For example, in the UK university is now considered an almost mandatory stepping stone, a right of passage prior to a career, or actually simply any job. A cynic might look at it as a complete waste of time for most people. I can see a situation where some people in SG do NS, and THAT is their right-of-passage/stepping stone. If you have to do NS, maybe better to do it first... I imagine doing NS after uni would really suck biiiig-time!