Singapore Expats

Singapore not Number 1 most expensive for expats!

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 8:59 am

Poor? In Singapore? On an expat forum?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 9:30 am

x9200 wrote:Poor? In Singapore? On an expat forum?
"Expat" forum hehe

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 9:30 am

the lynx wrote:I wouldn't justify making grocery runs to JB unless I buy in bulk and I drive. Actually if you do that, you save way more (considering how cheap the petrol is in Malaysia in comparison to Singapore).
Trouble is, you can't fill up on petrol there. It's banned.

You can't buy fags or booze either, ... banned.

I'm not sure what you're wishing to buy, 100Kg of rice? Plus I have to say the one and only supermarket is like being warped to the wrong side of Calcutta or something. All a bit grim!

p.s. If you can afford a car in SG, and yet are going shopping in JB... well, I have to shake my head.

Actually JB is such a missed opportunity. Just think what it could be, a day-trip from SG (for locals AND tourists), attractions, quality shopping, F+B etc., instead? ... it is a revolting dump with no reason to visit.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 9:36 am

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote:I wouldn't justify making grocery runs to JB unless I buy in bulk and I drive. Actually if you do that, you save way more (considering how cheap the petrol is in Malaysia in comparison to Singapore).

I'm not sure what you're wishing to buy, 100Kg of rice? Plus I have to say the one and only supermarket is like being warped to the wrong side of Calcutta or something. All a bit grim!
This is where you plan smart.

Go for a full day trip on 3/4 tank. Drive around. Look for local yummies - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Watch a movie. Visit a Malaysian friend. Then spend few hours stocking up in a Tesco or Aeon (or both). Then pump full tank. And say, "Au revoir and merci beaucoup, JB!"

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 9:37 am

'Johore Bahru - MY gateway to paradise'

[Watcha reckon Addadude... not too bad eh lol? ;)]

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 9:44 am

the lynx wrote: This is where you plan smart.

Go for a full day trip on 3/4 tank. Drive around. Look for local yummies - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Watch a movie. Visit a Malaysian friend. Then spend few hours stocking up in a Tesco or Aeon (or both). Then pump full tank. And say, "Au revoir and merci beaucoup, JB!"
During which time your SGn car has just depreciated $2,000.

:lol:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:05 am

It is a hobby. The only problem I have here is when people try to make the case based on some budget/economic principles.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 10:31 am

the lynx wrote:
JR8 wrote:

This is where you plan smart.

Yeah, but you have to drive around and waste all of that petrol first. Still overall more money spent than if you just did the same on this side of the causeway.

Agree with x92, it's a hobby/time-waster.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 7:20 pm

JR8 wrote:

p.s. If you can afford a car in SG, and yet are going shopping in JB... well, I have to shake my head.

Actually JB is such a missed opportunity. Just think what it could be, a day-trip from SG (for locals AND tourists), attractions, quality shopping, F+B etc., instead? ... it is a revolting dump with no reason to visit.
But the other day you posted that you positively LOVED Hello Kitty Town and couldn't wait to go back.

:D

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 17 Jun 2014 7:28 pm

Actually JB is such a missed opportunity. Just think what it could be, a day-trip from SG (for locals AND tourists), attractions, quality shopping, F+B etc., instead? ... it is a revolting dump with no reason to visit
I agree ........ what might have been.

Alas vested interests probably prevented such.
Life is short, paddle harder!!