Singapore Expats

West Singapore local schools

Interested to get your child into a local Primary School? Discuss the opportunities here.
MattDeeDexKit

West Singapore local schools

Post by MattDeeDexKit » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 5:14 am

Hi all

I hoping in can get some advice on local schools in Singapore. I'm currently living in England but at the 2nd interview stage for a job in Singapore. My wife and I have started thinking about the education of our children, we have a 6 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. The International Schools will be out of the question due to the high fees required so I think it will have to be a local school for the six year old. I have heard that more and more expats are sending their kids to local schools.

I would be working near the university on the west side of the island and have been recommended to look to live in either districts D5, D21, D22, D23 or D24. Does anyone know or any local schools in these areas that we should look at. I would be specially interested to know of local school that currently have a number of expat kids attending them.

Thank you for any help or advice

Matt

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 9:49 am

If you have a Facebook account I would recommend to look up a group called singapore expats in local school

They have a quite comprehensive info on procedures and recent policies change.

But basically you have to keep a look on the MOE website and see what schools have phase 3 vacancies in the upcoming registration. Keeping in mind that MOE takes final decision on where they place the child and choosing the school becomes increasingly rare when you're a foreigner.

That being said the districts you look at should traditionally have some space left... I know for example that west view primary ( D23) admitted quite a few phase 3 kids this current year.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 16 Jun 2014 11:39 am

Yes, you will not get your choice of school as a foreigner, you get whatever is left -- keep that in mind.