Singapore Expats

Singapore Citizenship approval

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
happytour

Post by happytour » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 11:36 am

Hi All,

I am PR for past 5 years. Last month i renew my PR.I am involved in that community centre, so MP know abt me.so i request a letter of recommendation from the MP then he wrote a letter to ICA.

Last week i went to ICA to apply citizenship. Officer did the assement after that he came back
said me u can apply ur son also. But my son holding LTVP pass(He is 14 months old, born in Singapore).I ask the officer it’s possible to apply citizenship to my son he said yes.
Then i apply citizenship together.

My profile,

Indian (34yrs old)
I am holding bachelor degree
My salary 3.8k,my wife holding master degree(she is not working)
Gross root leader
i bought condo(value 800K)(999 years)
My wife and my son holding LTVP pass.
Next month I am going to apply PR for my wife (Last year I applied it was rejected).

plz advice,

tq :)

happytour

Post by happytour » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 3:21 pm

What are my chances for SC application?

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 4:13 pm

I wouldn't hold my breath. Your income is not too high, not of the favored race, and you didn't apply as a whole family unit (your wife was not included).

Your grassroots activity obviously counts in your favor, as does your son, but overall I am surprised you even got PR.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 4:15 pm

Slim to nil. Wife already rejected. Salary too low. Buying property doesn't do anything positive at all. Being a grass roots leader doesn't help any more either as too many Indians have joined only because they heard it was a way to collect brownie points until most RCs aren't interested as they join and then don't bother to come to the meetings or join in the work that we do. Yes, I've been an active RC member for over 5 years and we've had them join our CC/RC. I don't need it to get my kids in school (all adults now) I don't need it for the free parking (don't have a car by choice), so there is not any bennies in it for me at all, except my getting the satisfaction of giving back to my community. Even with your son added to the equation, I don't think you've got enough to make it fly, especially with your wife already having been rejected for PR. Wouldn't make sense to give the Husband & son SC and the wife cannot even get PR. Good luck. I think you are going to need it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

happytour

Post by happytour » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 4:19 pm

Thanks.
I have one question LTVP holder can apply citizenship?
because officer ask to apply SC to my son..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 5:08 pm

Can't give you a definitive answer on that on. I would assume it could be possible for a newborn here if one parent is a PR applying for citizenship. But is doesn't make sense if the wife cannot even get PR.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

happytour

Post by happytour » Tue, 10 Jun 2014 5:25 pm

yes me also confuse..
i ask the officer two times its possible to apply SC for LTVP Holder.
he give the form to apply(If I interest)

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 4:46 pm

Honestly, I am surprised they even let you apply. My salary was 3K last year and I was told I am not even eligible to apply as my salary was too low (being a Pakistani, I am assuming I come under the same category as Indians i.e. South Asians)

happytour

Post by happytour » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 5:28 pm

If u r eligible u can apply.the officer will decide u r eligible or not?
Y u worry abt salary.i know salary is important.
but at the mean time they will check ur back round(Education,bank balance,any remarks,Asset,volunteer,child........)
some of my friend salary is also low,but they got the SC.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Jun 2014 5:48 pm

happytour, do you have your head up the Hershey tunnel? They do NOT care, nor ask for, your bank balance or your assets. They are only looking at what the feel you can contribute to the Singapore Economy over the long term. If it's positive you get citizenship, if negative, you are welcome to remain PR for the time being. Bank balance and assets don't contribute anything to the economy, only to the individual. If you are going to give advice, at least ensure it is not misleading.

happytour

Post by happytour » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 9:27 am

Hi sundaymorningstaple,
I agree ur suggestion,but in Singapore No Money No Honey..
How to contribute to the Singapore Economy?(Without my point any thing share me).

tq.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 9:48 am

How does buying property or putting your money into your bank account going to benefit the economy? It only benefits you, not anybody else. That's why they don't ask about those things. Your job, your value to a company to make profits, that contributes to the economy. Ability to add value to Singapore is what matters. Can you contribute to actually adding value to the nation or have the potential for doing so? That is what will get you SC.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 9:52 am

Pakistani ≠ Indian in the eyes of Singapore gahmen.

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 12:50 pm

PNGMK wrote:Pakistani ≠ Indian in the eyes of Singapore gahmen.
That sucks. Seems like I'd forever just be a PR here.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Jun 2014 1:50 pm

Just about sums it up. And the events of the last two days sure aren't going to help Pakistanis here too much either. :o