Singapore Expats

PR Rejected - Please advise what is wrong with my profile

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Mathieu_66

PR Rejected - Please advise what is wrong with my profile

Post by Mathieu_66 » Fri, 30 May 2014 6:39 pm

Hi All,

I am currently overseas and I've checked today my application status and I saw that it got rejected.
I would like some lights on what could have been the cause of this rejection.

I am French (Caucasian), 31 years old and I have been living in Singapore since December 2006.
I have been paying income tax in Singapore for 6 years now (my first two years tax were paid in France).
I am engaged to a Singaporean national and we will be getting married at the end of this year.
We have no kids.
My annual basic income is SGD180000 at the time of the application for a senior engineer position working in the oil and gas sector.

I can't see much point against my application which seems to fulfil all the requirements I've seen in the forum...

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 30 May 2014 7:12 pm

perhaps... your job/industry...

i know of some oil and gas engineers that leave whenever better pay's to be had elsewhere (to brunei, or wherever)...

anyhow, i'm pretty sure you can apply again after you're married.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Mathieu_66

Post by Mathieu_66 » Fri, 30 May 2014 7:20 pm

I get your point, but the fact that I have been in Singapore for 8 years now and applying for PR is a sign of me wanting to settle in the country especially with the upcoming wedding.

I need to see now what is written on the letter (once I get back to Singapore) to see if they ask me to re-apply in 6 / 24 months or work until my EP expires... that will be the surprise :-)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 May 2014 8:22 pm

I used to work in the O&G sector as well when I first came to Singapore. I married a local girl, had two children and three cars and a Singapore Driver's license and it still took me 11 years to gain PR. With western expats it's rather hard as the government knows a) they will follow the money; and b) generally the woman will follow the man, so why give PR to someone who is basically only going to abuse it, where there are others out there who actually want to 'stay' in Singapore.

Harsh, yes. Been there, done that.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 30 May 2014 11:39 pm

Ang Moh isn't necessarily a good trait for a PR application anymore. Singapore doesn't expect a young caucasian guy to stick around, especially in your industry, if something changes your financial situation.

You'll almost certainly get it after you're married though.

Mathieu_66

Post by Mathieu_66 » Sat, 31 May 2014 8:08 am

Thanks for your comments.
I'll give it another try once we get the wedding documents signed if my rejection letter advise me to do so... else I'll just stick with my Work Permit.

Have a good week end

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 31 May 2014 3:10 pm

You rejection letter, if any, will not state the reason for your rejection. It may tell you to reapply in 2 years or it may tell you that you are welcome to stay in Singapore and continue to work on your employment permit. They never give specific reasons to avoid getting tailor-made applications. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rcan

Post by rcan » Wed, 04 Jun 2014 2:24 pm

If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply? I am just curious how long it took for your application to be processed?

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Jun 2014 6:07 pm

It can take between 3 and 18 months currently.

rcan

Post by rcan » Thu, 05 Jun 2014 9:40 am

Yea, I am at 4 months today - just was curious of any recent indication of processing times though I know it can vary wildly case by case.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 05 Jun 2014 9:56 am

It can take between 3 and 18 months currently.

rcan

Post by rcan » Thu, 05 Jun 2014 3:00 pm

There's a parrot in the room!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 05 Jun 2014 3:16 pm

rcan wrote:There's a parrot in the room!
That's because you showed that you're unable to understand direct answer to your question.

"3 to 18 months currently."

Which part of that sentence you don't know. SMS has done us great favours in getting the range from the shortest to the longest for the current ones based on your question, and yet you asked again.
If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply? I am just curious how long it took for your application to be processed?
Yea, I am at 4 months today - just was curious of any recent indication of processing times though I know it can vary wildly case by case.

rcan

Post by rcan » Thu, 05 Jun 2014 6:37 pm

Please reread. I was explaining why I had asked... I was not asking again. It was a statement, not a question.

It is you who is not able to understand.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 06 Jun 2014 11:12 am

rcan wrote:Please reread. I was explaining why I had asked... I was not asking again. It was a statement, not a question.

It is you who is not able to understand.
The indication is that applications with similar habits indicative of certain backgrounds such as yourself are mostly rejected: Poor grammar, inability to perform searches and act on their own behalf, ungrateful or even angry at answers received on a free forum, etc. (See thread about an incident in Tampines)