Singapore Expats

Lawsuit against a school teacher

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
RobSg
Regular
Regular

Post by RobSg » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:56 am

I really am sorry to hear that. I was there only to do relief work quite often, and the students were always very nice. However, I think that your best strategy is to not let that bad experience affect your time in Singapore, as there are really a lot of International Schools to choose from. Based on how they have treated your child, just never recommend the school to anyone.

In defense of the counselor and the teachers, there is very little support for students having any sort of adjustment issues, since it is a for profit school. Hiring additional support personnel could bite into their profits. As a result, you are correct when you say that to ask students to leave the school makes it easier instead of dealing with the support of that child.

Again, I hope you find a better school even if they agreed to take your child back. Again, for me it was a very nice place to sub, and I liked the other teachers and students.

The one school that really offers support to students is Stamford American. although it is the most expensive school in the city. They absolutely stay with the child. I just wish they didn't overwork the teacher so much.

Regards,
Rob

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 5:30 pm

If you think Stamford is "the one school" then you aren't familiar with many schools here. Stamford is woefully understaffed for students who need additional support. It is also a for-profit school just like the one you just commented on by saying "there is very little support for students having any sort of adjustment issues since it is a for profit school. Hiring additional support personnel could bit into their profits." Same for Stamford, and same with Stamford.

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Post by RobSg » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 11:28 pm

Unfortunately most of the for profit schools are understaffed and just don't seem to have the support staff. However, when a student enters Stamford, for good or bad, they just don't seem to leave. That certainly does not mean that they are receiving "qualified" support from personnel at the school.

Stamford makes use of shadow teachers, and I just have not seen this in other schools. A qualified educator is requested by the parents, and this "shadow teacher" follows the student from class to class and sits in on the classes and maintains the focus of the student assigned while in class. It might not be the best situation, but it indicates a willingness of the school not to give up.

Having said that, I certainly would prefer to send my child to a "not for profit" school that has "learning support" teachers as a part of the school program. The only problem is that they have waiting lists, so you go with what is available.

Regards,
Rob

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 09 Nov 2013 8:14 am

RobSG - thanks for the feedback. Your story lines up exactly with my wife's horror stories from a maple leaf themed I.S.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:49 am

Rob, as an addendum to your comments I'd add "Shadow teachers paid separately by the student's parents." Not that there is anything wrong with that but simply to indicate that it is the parents who are paying and other schools do allow that as well as provide their own learning support staff paid by the school itself.

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 2:00 pm

There are shadow teachers paid for by parents in almost all of the International Schools schools.
To suggest Stanford is the only one is just weird.

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Post by RobSg » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:22 pm

I'm sure there are shadow teachers in the other schools, but in my 25 years knowing teachers in Singapore and being a teacher myself (just retired), that's my opinion. I'm sure you very well informed, but it's just my observations.

I hope it's ok to make observations here. As one who just retired in beautiful Vancouver, Canada, I enjoy keeping in touch this way with Singapore. 25+ years is hard to shake.

TryingTBBMom

update on suing a Teacher

Post by TryingTBBMom » Wed, 04 Jun 2014 1:25 pm

There are many parents facing similar frustrations regarding their child or children, so I felt it important to share.
First you should seek the advise of a lawyer. Generally it would be ill advised for a school to take such a swift decision on expelling a child in such a short time.
Generally if a child is not adjusting well, you will be called in for a meeting at minimum prior to such a permanent decision being made.
You should listen to what is being said and take careful notes.
More so than often a school will strongly suggest you have your child "tested" or seek outside behavioral counseling.
My suggestion is to say nothing, go home and sleep on it.
If it was me, I then would take my child to see by an outside(not in anyway associated with or suggested by the school) psychologist.
Have him or her evaluated.
The best thing you can do is advocate for your child without giving all the power to the schools administration.
You need to always be in control and be honest about your child and his or her needs.
This can be painful to your ego but necessary to help your child thrive in a safe, positive school environment…whatever that may be.
Do not get railroaded but also do not get so caught up in a label.

My son has ADHD and it was extremely difficult to hear people speak of him as if he was broken in some way. Far from the truth he needed positive support, acceptance and love to thrive. I was told he was delayed, not the case, in actuality he was far more advanced but that was clouded by his inability to focus prior to diagnosis.
So when I hear of kids being tossed out of a school it brings back that pain, but I have to think that possibly that school was not only a bad choice for a child but that the parent was not seeing
that their child might be better served and happier in a more accepting school.

I also am not a supporter of shadow teachers for Behavioral or Learning support.
Having someone mind your child only makes them stick out and are then bullied, or teased.
Many schools take advantage of parents and it's ridiculous especially at a large school like Stanford.
I suggest getting outside tutoring and put your child in a smaller school where the ratio is less than 21 to 01.

Remember the school can be your biggest supporter or your biggest nightmare…….
1. the school has a moral and legal obligation to serve the child and children in the school( so if your child is disruptive to other's you need to be honest and work out a plan to help your child grow and mature in a positive way)
2. you should get everything in writing
3. do not allow the school to conduct any testing and unless it's medical or you are comfortable do not give the school any access to private records.
4.the school must give warnings prior to expelling to justify cause.
5.if your child is targeted, especially in private or International School, I suggest moving him or her prior to being asked to leave, You will find it nearly impossible to get accepted at another school.
6.i am not saying lie to the school as that serves no one, just do not hand over your rights as parents.
7. get a respected professional Doctor to inform you on your child, not a school psychologist( thats not saying they are not good, but their interest is first to the school for which they are employed) or teacher or better yet an administrator.

Remember you know your child best and if that means making a choice between helping them grow and thrive over being in a "private" or big school……I choose my child's needs over my e.g.o.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 04 Jun 2014 4:55 pm

Quiet day?