Singapore Expats

Scandinavian with M.Sc in BA getting a job in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Elisabeth_Swe

Scandinavian with M.Sc in BA getting a job in Singapore?

Post by Elisabeth_Swe » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 5:08 am

Hi,
I'm facing a dilemma, and would highly appreciate some good advice. I'm a 32-year old woman from Sweden with a M.Sc in Business Administration and Finance. I have 5 years of management and leadership experience, and over 10 years of B2B and B2C sales experience.

I'm currently employed as Country Manager in Sweden for a multinational company, this is the third company in which I'm responsible for the overall operation. In addition I've work as Business Development Manager, Sales Manager, Project Manager, and Marketing Coordinator. I've not worked in either finance, banking nor in the insurance sector. I speak fluently three languages, but all are non-asian.

My husband moved to Singapore two years ago, and now I'm considering relocating as well. My biggest worry though, is leaving my own career behind me. Therefore I'm not ready to move without being employed in Singapore. My husband has an EP, and is not heading back to Europe in the next couple of years at least.

My question is:
How challenging could it be for a person with my professional background and education to find a job in Singapore, still living in my home country? Is it even possible? Would I need to move, unemployed, to Singapore in order to even get a job?

I highly appreciate any advice I can get!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Scandinavian with M.Sc in BA getting a job in Singapore?

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 9:50 am

Elisabeth_Swe wrote:Hi,
I'm facing a dilemma, and would highly appreciate some good advice. I'm a 32-year old woman from Sweden with a M.Sc in Business Administration and Finance. I have 5 years of management and leadership experience, and over 10 years of B2B and B2C sales experience.

I'm currently employed as Country Manager in Sweden for a multinational company, this is the third company in which I'm responsible for the overall operation. In addition I've work as Business Development Manager, Sales Manager, Project Manager, and Marketing Coordinator. I've not worked in either finance, banking nor in the insurance sector. I speak fluently three languages, but all are non-asian.

My husband moved to Singapore two years ago, and now I'm considering relocating as well. My biggest worry though, is leaving my own career behind me. Therefore I'm not ready to move without being employed in Singapore. My husband has an EP, and is not heading back to Europe in the next couple of years at least.

My question is:
How challenging could it be for a person with my professional background and education to find a job in Singapore, still living in my home country? Is it even possible? Would I need to move, unemployed, to Singapore in order to even get a job?

I highly appreciate any advice I can get!
I would explore the possibility of a transfer to Singapore with your own company or allied industry companies from Sweden first.

I would then do a survey of your industry in Singapore to determine if the industry you're in even exists here.

You could move out on a Dependents Pass and look for a job but the offer would most likely try to take advantage of your situation as a trailing spouse and might not be attractive.

You might also consider options such as working in the Swedish embassy (most embassies hire some of their own nationals here for local admin positions) or the Swedish trade commission.

You are correct to be concerned about scuppering your own career though.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 03 Feb 2014 11:38 am

Somewhere on here there is a post a guy called offshoreoildude wrote about using LinkedIn to find a job here... that might be useful as well.

HA
Regular
Regular

Post by HA » Wed, 05 Feb 2014 5:27 pm

PM me - my company is hiring and your experience in Sales and heading country experience sounds good to give it a shot.

Kmos

Re: Scandinavian with M.Sc in BA getting a job in Singapore?

Post by Kmos » Wed, 07 May 2014 9:32 pm

Hi Elisabeth - Please PM me, I have a client looking for a Business Development Manager, with Scandinavian background.

Damsel

Post by Damsel » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 12:46 pm

Your chance may be better than me. I have MSC in International Business and Entrepreneurship from Sweden end up as an overpaid admin person. Ok I should not complain (simple job ok pay). Prior to that I had over 10 years of exec level jobs in SG before moving to Sweden and now back in SG due to family issues. ( For some funny reason its harder to get a job as a Singaporean who has post graduated abroad or I dunno...strange)

Hubby have to follow and left his managerial post in Sweden. Its been almost two years, he still has not gotten a job.
But we are not giving up.
Lycka Till!