Singapore Expats

Advice please on buying pharmaceuticals

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Christine_y2uk

Advice please on buying pharmaceuticals

Post by Christine_y2uk » Sun, 01 Jun 2014 2:29 pm

Could anyone give me advice on the general cost of prescribed drugs in Singapore? We're moving to Singapore and I have a condition that requires daily medication. Is it difficult as an expat to find a local doctor to continue established treatment programs? Is medication considered expensive in Singapore? I know it's all relative but a general guide or some anecdotes would be helpful. Thanks!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Advice please on buying pharmaceuticals

Post by JR8 » Sun, 01 Jun 2014 3:23 pm

Christine_y2uk wrote:Could anyone give me advice on the general cost of prescribed drugs in Singapore? We're moving to Singapore and I have a condition that requires daily medication. Is it difficult as an expat to find a local doctor to continue established treatment programs? Is medication considered expensive in Singapore? I know it's all relative but a general guide or some anecdotes would be helpful. Thanks!
In general terms a prescription here, will cost the same as a private (i.e. non-NHS) prescription would back home. Locals are somewhat subsidised and/or are funded via their own version of accrued National Insurance.

I have heard you can explain to your UK-GP that you are going to be away for an extended period, and could he/she prescribe the max amount, perhaps say 6 months worth. You might also be able to nominate someone (in the UK) to request and collect refills to you.

I understand that some drugs can vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. So, random example that might apply, if you're settled into using a Glaxo insulin product, I think you could make a good case for your UK GP helping maintain that, esp if your settled medication is not available out here!

Bring a copy of your prescription with you to SG. In my experience a doctor here won't seek to fully re-diagnose from square #1 before writing a renewed prescription (if you get one locally), but he/she will give you a once over and Q+A for due diligence and to reasonably confirm the diagnosis and prescribed medication.

Christine_y2uk

Post by Christine_y2uk » Sun, 01 Jun 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks JR8, I don't live in the UK currently but did for a long time so understand your advice. Figured costs would be different for non-residents. A total re-diagnosis is what I feared to good to hear that's not your experience. Really appreciate your time!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 01 Jun 2014 5:10 pm

I've replied to this type of enquiry numerous times... in short you can buy an awful lot without a scrip either in JB or at the airport.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 01 Jun 2014 11:49 pm

if it's not sensitive to share, perhaps you can list the meds you need.

or perhaps the type(s) of meds you need.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Christine_y2uk

Post by Christine_y2uk » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 4:00 pm

I'd rather not say too much about what the drugs are (yep, paranoid I know :-)) - just the general guidance is very much appreciated. I should be able to make arrangements with my doctor here for a considerable supply and if getting scripts from doctors in Singapore isn't a major issue as JR8 says, I figure I'll be OK. Thanks again for taking the time to write.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 4:22 pm

Not all medicines - particularly ADD/ADHD are available here or in MY though.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 5:56 pm

Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Tue, 03 Jun 2014 9:05 am

PNGMK wrote:Not all medicines - particularly ADD/ADHD are available here or in MY though.
Where did you get that from? I am looking at SG prescription Concerta and Ritalin right now...