Singapore Expats

Shooting Crows

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 May 2014 2:45 pm

JR8 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I've always wanted to the join the SSC (Shooting club) just to shoot the crows...
I looked into it during my last stint here. It's pretty bureaucratic as one might expect. As I recall it's limited to 12 gauges/bores, and skeet/trap shooting. For 'guest' shooters, copy of ID had to be provided a week in advance etc...

If you enjoy shooting I still reckon it would be enjoyable, not least seeing how they go about things here.

Maybe a few of us who are interested could consider turning it into a day out?
I've got the number of the guy at CCK who organises the day out skeet shoots. $90 for a box of shells/clays and the gun rental. I did it with three guys in total last time and it was good fun. We only needed one box (with a 12 ga. that's about 12 shots each which is enough if you're not in form).

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 30 May 2014 3:29 pm

JR8 wrote:Maybe a few of us who are interested could consider turning it into a day out?
Yup, and probably end up shooting each other. :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 May 2014 4:15 pm

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 30 May 2014 4:26 pm

the lynx wrote:
JR8 wrote:Maybe a few of us who are interested could consider turning it into a day out?
Yup, and probably end up shooting each other. :P
Well if you're sitting up in the bloody trees, quite possibly :lol: :P

p.s. I know what some of the wizened pros are perhaps thinking. WTH is he almost vertical? Yes, quite! That was an absolute bugger of a stand, and first time on it, there were two clays (skeets) a moment apart, incoming on low and slow courses to left and right within a gap in the tree canopy. By the time you got a fix, they were slowing, right overhead, and dropping. For the 2nd shot (as pictured) you were really pushing it...

I think I nearly blew the roof off the shelter/stand on that pair... but still a good challenge and a very entertaining day out :) And no, honestly, I didn't kill or maim anyone! :)

-- FWIW on a day out like that I'd perhaps expect to do maybe 10stands*10 rounds, so four boxes. I seem to recall the cost here is pretty silly though...

Lovely gun that one, a Beretta IIRC

p.s. I just wish I was a better shot. But the fun bit is not only shooting, but watching your friends too. It can be quite surprising, some people who've never shot before are just 'naturals' at it. Others (me hehehe) who should be better, are pretty hopeless really.

Thx for the link SMS, I'll try and see if I can tot up a ballpark p/h cost, just in case it might be of interest ...

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:17 am

The shooters have gone and our crows are back :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:23 am

bgd wrote:The shooters have gone and our crows are back :)
Our nearby row of very large trees that hosts a colony of crows, is being pruned (pollarded) to within a few twigs of it's life.

When they're finally done, I don't expect to see any more crows for a while ...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 11:35 am

I'm not sure why you are very happy with the crows. Unless you mistake other less-harmful birds as crows.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 12:00 pm

the lynx wrote: I'm not sure why you are very happy with the crows. Unless you mistake other less-harmful birds as crows.
There is a small family that drinks from our pool each morning. They don't do any harm and make my swim more interesting.

Despite their squawk I like them.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 4:23 pm

I used to have a crow that became my pet after it had fallen out of its nest. When I was a kid.

Crows are probably some of the most street-smart birds in the world, unlike parrots, which are mostly book-smart.

I recall seeing a clip about a crow (or a raven, I forget) that had learned to light a match by striking it with its beak. It then used the lit match to light some tinder. By holding its plumage just the right distance from the flames, it drew out skin parasites. Brilliant.

Unless I dreamt the entire thing, because I can't find it on YouTube now.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 5:16 pm

the lynx wrote:
I'm not sure why you are very happy with the crows. Unless you mistake other less-harmful birds as crows.
crows are actually useful birds, they act as scavengers and eat dead animals and food scraps.
Shooting crows in India would be a sacrilege! crows are considered messengers of the dead/ancestors.
I actually don't mind crows one bit.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 5:18 pm

I doubt you dreamt it. This is a quote from Wikipedia

Crows are now considered to be among the world's most intelligent animals with an encephalization quotient approaching that of some apes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crow

I suspect smarter than some of the 'I have a masters' we get on here. :wink:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 5:28 pm

:devil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 6:53 pm

Kekeke.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 9:24 pm

Max Headroom wrote:Kekeke.
I find ppl who laugh like kekekeke highly odd!! I mean normally a hahahah or heheheheh or if your Mexican jajajaja but wtf is a kekekekke !!
you know what I'm saying? Bwahajajjajkekekehehe
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 9:57 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote: wtf is a kekekekke !!
I've seen it used mostly amongst Malays, and Malay SGns...