Singapore Expats

NS Deferment Situation

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 24 May 2014 4:54 pm

Sorry, kid

I cannot help you anymore. You misread my instructions.

I should have explained it better on second thought. I really thought you understood what I wrote. Truly sorry for this predicament
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Syllabeargrylls

Post by Syllabeargrylls » Sat, 24 May 2014 5:35 pm

There's no need to be sorry, I knew that it was a slim chance anyway. It's my parents that put me in this situation.

Thanks for all the advice/help from all of you here :)

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Sat, 24 May 2014 9:53 pm

hey Syllabeargrylls, just wondering,...if you were given the chance, would you prefer your parents didn't apply Aust citizenship for you?

I'm asking because I'm about to do the same for my son, who is 6 y.o at the moment. He is Singaporean by birth. But, I'm thinking to apply Aust citizenship for him. I do want him to fulfill his NS obligation, as I think it will be a great experience to 'toughen' him up. But subsequently do plan for him to renounce his SG citizenship, so that he doesn't have to do reservist every now and then.

Just wanna know what is your thought? or anyone has any opinion on this matter is actually a bad/good idea for my son?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 24 May 2014 9:58 pm

I have a suggestion. Do your Uni studies if they're that important. Return to Singapore, do the time in the brig and pay the penatly then do your NS.

It may help to inform the CIMB of your intention as well.

Syllabeargrylls

Post by Syllabeargrylls » Sat, 24 May 2014 11:32 pm

To PNGMK: I'm not sure what you mean by 'do the time in the brig and pay the penalty then do your NS', can you explain?

I can either do NS without completing my bachelor's degree or complete my bachelor's, but renounce SG citizenship because the deadline is my 21st birthday

To nanana:

Bear with me, I cannot condense what I feel about my situation. If you don't have time then just look at the 3 options I think you have for your son.

I feel like my parents made the wrong choice in making me an Aus citizen, because now I feel like I don't belong to either country, in the sense that I am not very integrated into either one's culture/lifestyle because I lived my first 10 years in SG and next 10 years in AUS.

And this is a big deal when considering that I can only really work/live in 1 of these countries - whereas anyone else can do both. But being here seems to have worked out for my younger brother - he's definitely going to renounce SG-Citizenship and live here. That's my view on the situation (socially).

My parents point of view is that, I am supposed to renounce SG-C and live here in AUS because SG work/life balance is poor compared to here and they think that NS is a 'waste of 2 years' (my dad constantly reminds me that he has to retire 2 years later because of this).

Fair enough. But I don't think NS is a waste of time. Like you, I think it's a good experience and will keep me fit and humbled. But, I've met quite a few NS men at my uni and most of them say they also felt NS was not a bad thing, but given a chance, they would rather not do it. (I am still skeptical because I don't think they are really considering the fact they have to leave the country permanently if they don't).

I also feel like work opportunity is better and that I would be happier in SG, despite the cons mentioned before. But my opinion is biased because I haven't been back in SG since 2011 and my parents say I have not experienced the stress of the working culture there yet.

As for your son, I think that making him do NS and then proceeding to renounce SG-C will really make his 2 years a waste. I thought the main point of doing NS is to be able to have SG-C?

I really cannot say what you should do for your son, except that you shouldn't do what you are planning. From what I have seen, you have 3 other choices (there maybe more):

a) Get him to another country (before being subjected to NS obligations) and become a citizen there, then he will renounce SG-C at whatever age he has deferred until. (This is what I'm stuck with now)

b) Get him to another country whenever is convenient, but he is already obligated to serve NS. A few family friends I know have done this. So their sons study secondary school here, then serve NS, then come back to AUS for university. (I think this is ideal because then your son has the flexibility of working in either SG/AUS in the future under a citizenship/permanent residency respectively)

c) Or let him stay in SG up until he has completed NS, then decide whether to do university locally or internationally (study-leave = no NS). But keep in mind this is very costly because of international student fees.

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Thu, 29 May 2014 10:53 pm

Hi Syllabeargrylls, Thanks for sharing on what you are going through at the moment. I certainly never thought of the possibility of my son won't be adapting well with life in Aust should we really migrate overthere in the near future.

However, what makes you think that you won't be able to work in SG in the future? I thought as long as you complete your NS duty, even if you renounce your SG citizenship, your future application for employment pass/permanent residency will be based on its own merit, it has nothing to do with you being an ex-singaporean. (am i right, mad scientitst/SMS?)

The main reason for my son to renounce his SG citizenship so that he doesnt have to come back frequently for reservist (at least, that's what i think). I mean, I'm ok with him doing his 2 yr stint before his uni study. but, reservist is abit different. He will be busy establishing his career, or busy with his own family life, it will be a disruption and inconvenience if he has to take leave every so often for reservist.

i'm not sure what should i do yet. but certainly will take your advice into consideration. Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 May 2014 11:19 pm

nanana wrote: However, what makes you think that you won't be able to work in SG in the future? I thought as long as you complete your NS duty, even if you renounce your SG citizenship, your future application for employment pass/permanent residency will be based on its own merit, it has nothing to do with you being an ex-singaporean. (am i right, mad scientitst/SMS?)

Absolutely correct, as long as it's done by the numbers.

The main reason for my son to renounce his SG citizenship so that he doesnt have to come back frequently for reservist (at least, that's what i think). I mean, I'm ok with him doing his 2 yr stint before his uni study. but, reservist is abit different. He will be busy establishing his career, or busy with his own family life, it will be a disruption and inconvenience if he has to take leave every so often for reservist.

Everybody complains but disruption? Sure but a lot of life is disruptions. That's life.

i'm not sure what should i do yet. but certainly will take your advice into consideration. Thank you.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 29 May 2014 11:30 pm

if you know how to plan ahead of time... you can avoid getting called up for reservist or avoid going on any NS courses...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 29 May 2014 11:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Everybody complains but disruption? Sure but a lot of life is disruptions. That's life.
]
I don't know how often they get called for reservist. His Australian employer may not look kindly on those who take frequent leave, if they are not aware of the NS system.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 May 2014 12:16 am

His employers will be okay with it as long as he lets the employer know about it before he joins the company. But if he 'conveniently' forgets to, then yeah, you are probably right. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 30 May 2014 2:08 am

Wouldn't that lower his chance of getting hired, due to this special need?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 May 2014 6:48 am

So would being dyslexic but if he is good at what he does, then it shouldn't matter. I sure don't bother if one needs to do reservist training. Of course I grew up with the draft in the US so we also had reservist training and we also have the National Guard in the US and you have several weeks a year for that as well. Never stopped anybody from being hired. So, if it's that kind of employer, I'm not sure I'd want to work for them anyway, truth be known.

:-k