Singapore Expats

Masters at NTU - Advised Required

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
lokesharo

Masters at NTU - Advised Required

Post by lokesharo » Tue, 27 May 2014 2:33 pm

I have got admission in Masters in Embedded NTU starting Aug'14. I am from India and have done Bachelor of Tech(2012 - 70%), Post Grad Dip in Embedded Systems(2013 - 76%) and currently working in LSI (8 months).

How are the job prospects in embedded in Singapore? And should I opt for service obligation or pay full fees? And are there VISA problems while searching for jobs for foreigners?
Thanks

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Masters at NTU - Advised Required

Post by taxico » Wed, 28 May 2014 9:30 am

lokesharo wrote:I have got admission in Masters in Embedded NTU starting Aug'14. I am from India and have done Bachelor of Tech(2012 - 70%), Post Grad Dip in Embedded Systems(2013 - 76%) and currently working in LSI (8 months).

How are the job prospects in embedded in Singapore? And should I opt for service obligation or pay full fees? And are there VISA problems while searching for jobs for foreigners?
Thanks
yes, there are visa problems in recent time for graduates needing to fulfill that obligation.

therefore, it may be better to pay in full than get stuck in limbo.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

lokesharo

Post by lokesharo » Wed, 28 May 2014 12:46 pm

Wat about the job opportunities there for embedded doamin?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 28 May 2014 1:05 pm

^ What does this mean? :???:

I'd have hoped someone embarking on a masters degree would be better able to convey their point.

- I realise that might appear somewhat sarcastic, but it's meant with good intent, and I hope perhaps you will consider it in that way.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 28 May 2014 1:48 pm

lokesharo wrote:Wat about the job opportunities there for embedded doamin?
none! have you done any prior research on your own about how many VLSI/Embedded systems companies there are here?
I'm sure if you are applying for a master's degree its not too difficult to do a bit of basic research on companies operating in these areas and check the careers page on the company websites.
Add to that there is LinkedIN where you can follow the companies advertising such jobs.
Information doesn't come looking for on you a plate like room service, you gotta do a bit of basic research yourself.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

lokesharo

Post by lokesharo » Wed, 28 May 2014 2:36 pm

I have searched everywhere but coming from another country to study, its better to ask some professional about the ground report rather than relying on the LinkedIn and websites. That's why I asked here.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 28 May 2014 2:41 pm

lokesharo wrote:I have searched everywhere but coming from another country to study, its better to ask some professional about the ground report rather than relying on the LinkedIn and websites. That's why I asked here.
really? so where you do think professionals get their knowledge from? and LinkedIn and company websites sound like misleading sources of Information? and why would these professionals give away information to you for free?
Don't expect answers on a plate here, ask for something specific and provide more details.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Thu, 29 May 2014 4:17 pm

Dont mind the arrogant morons here.

Noone can give u the reassurance u are seeking. If u come here, come to learn advanced stuff, focus on practical stuff which matters (for example software development) and keep an open mind towards things like visa, job hunt. It may or may not work.

If it works, well and good. If it does not, go elsewhere or to India. With MS, u mite earn more.

But, if u want guaranteed immigration, Singapore MS is not the right way. Take a little more risk and study in the US.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 29 May 2014 4:54 pm

i think it's not about risk but rather the costs involved when studying in the US...

and do you mean an american MS is a guaranteed route of immigration to the US...? sunday: i'm pleased to announce we have ourselves another money maker.

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Thu, 29 May 2014 5:09 pm

US has no guarantee. What is the guarantee for Americans in US? If u are a dumbwit, nothing can save u.

In US, there are more jobs in Embedded Sys and hence there is higher chance of finding jobs. In Singapore, most jobs dont even require a MS or Phd.

If cost is the issue, just do MS in IISc in India.

taxico wrote:i think it's not about risk but rather the costs involved when studying in the US...

and do you mean an american MS is a guaranteed route of immigration to the US...? sunday: i'm pleased to announce we have ourselves another money maker.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 May 2014 5:16 pm

taxico wrote:i think it's not about risk but rather the costs involved when studying in the US...

I've known it for a while now. What to do? :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lokesharo

Post by lokesharo » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 1:17 pm

NTU is a highly reputed university on world platform. Moreover the costs for USA are pretty high. And I wont be settling either in USA or Singapore. Il be coming back to India after studying and having enough exposure in the embedded domain.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 2:44 pm

lokesharo wrote:NTU is a highly reputed university on world platform. Moreover the costs for USA are pretty high. And I wont be settling either in USA or Singapore. Il be coming back to India after studying and having enough exposure in the embedded domain.
NTU is overvalued. Their education really is not that good; I speak from experience. They have some good international professors, but the normal profs that you will get 80% of the time are not very good. But they are very good at appearing high in rankings, I give them that.

Frankly, if your plan is to study abroad and then go back, Singapore is not a great choice. Not only is the university not cheap, life here is very expensive as well (compared to US). Nevermind that they can easily increase their fees by 30% or more if they feel like. I would really suggest US or Australia, maybe UK (I don't know much about where embedded systems are good to study).

Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 2:49 pm

AngMoG wrote:
lokesharo wrote:NTU is a highly reputed university on world platform. Moreover the costs for USA are pretty high. And I wont be settling either in USA or Singapore. Il be coming back to India after studying and having enough exposure in the embedded domain.
NTU is overvalued. Their education really is not that good; I speak from experience. They have some good international professors, but the normal profs that you will get 80% of the time are not very good. But they are very good at appearing high in rankings, I give them that.

Frankly, if your plan is to study abroad and then go back, Singapore is not a great choice. Not only is the university not cheap, life here is very expensive as well (compared to US). Nevermind that they can easily increase their fees by 30% or more if they feel like. I would really suggest US or Australia, maybe UK (I don't know much about where embedded systems are good to study).
For masters, NTU is cheap. Around 10K, unless we are talking about MFE or MBA programs. It's still much cheaper than most US/AUS schools though.

But I concur, teaching quality is not so good.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 6:49 pm

midlet2013 wrote:...But, if u want guaranteed immigration, Singapore MS is not the right way. Take a little more risk and study in the US.
taxico wrote:and do you mean an american MS is a guaranteed route of immigration to the US...?
midlet2013 wrote:US has no guarantee. What is the guarantee for Americans in US? If u are a dumbwit, nothing can save u.

In US, there are more jobs in Embedded Sys and hence there is higher chance of finding jobs. In Singapore, most jobs dont even require a MS or Phd...
after getting a better shot at finding a job, i'm not sure if competition for an american working visa would impede lokesharo's chance of successfully landing a job there though, after paying for his/her M$...

the closest thing to a guarantee for a regular immigrant there is an appropriate job with a quota-exempt employer and pray you get to stick around long enough to land a green card, otherwise you're SOL.