Singapore Expats

Employment and Dependants pass

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ktommy80

Employment and Dependants pass

Post by ktommy80 » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 5:26 am

Hi all,

i am new to this forum and having a few questions regarding EP and DP.

Me and my wife having a little daughter and we would love to move to Sg.

My wife has the opportunity to work as a dance teacher, so she would get an EP pretty easily..
She got offered a bit more than 4000Sg dollar per month for working 6 days a week..which is way too much than we expected or financially need, since i work as a pilot for an european airline,thus going in and out of singapore..

Now my question is: Is there any opportunity to arrange part time work, to work less thus earning below 4000SGD a month and STILL get the dependants passes for me as husband and our daughter? Obviousely this rule is made to ensure financial "safety" for the family, which we dont need, since i have a job as well...

Would MOM judge each situation individually and make exceptions of their >4000SGD DP rule?

Or could i even find an arrangement with the company, to make a contract with a pay more than 4000, but in real working less with less pay?

Would be glad to get some opinions...

Thanks guys

Leix

Post by Leix » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 10:07 am

I think there's some misunderstanding here. Or perhaps I am..

To get a dependant pass, the EP holder (you) must be earning $4000 monthly.

The dependant (your wife) is not allowed to work with dependant pass. There is the "letter of consent" (LOC) that can allow her to but that is a separate matter.

or if you meant you want to apply DP for your daughter and EP for your wife,
then it's all good with that $4000 job.

If you are talking about putting down $4000 pay on paper and giving the money back under the table, then it is kinda illegal and MoM might be reading this forum. :D

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 10:55 am

She won't get an EP "pretty easily" earning $4,000 per month as a dance teacher. She might not get it at all. $4,000 is the _minimum_ to qualify, and they look at other credentials/experience as well. And without trying to sound harsh, exactly why does Singapore need to import dance teachers?

She might get an S pass, assuming the studio who wants to hire her has quota availability to do so. Either way, they are not going to drop their minimum requirements for you.

As a matter of fact, they may be wondering why the big wage earner (you) is not applying for the EP, and may view the entire application as an attempt to sneak into Singapore... you're not really providing any economic value to Singapore... and thus, your application goes directly into the dust bin.

Your best bet would be to convince your company to station you and pay you out of Singapore.

Leix

Post by Leix » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 11:45 am

Isn't the minimum for EP set at $3300?

I say no harm trying except that $70 application fee and a good 10 minutes to fill out the forms.

I'm on the impression that the country is determined in pushing the "arts" locally.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 11:56 am

Leix wrote:Isn't the minimum for EP set at $3300?

I say no harm trying except that $70 application fee and a good 10 minutes to fill out the forms.

I'm on the impression that the country is determined in pushing the "arts" locally.
Yup, it's $3300 now. But at $4000, it's far from certain that she would get an EP or S-Pass.

ALso note that $4000 is not a lot of money living in Singapore.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 11:59 am

Really, Leix - why give the OP any false hopes???? Strong Eagle's advice is sound - especially given the tenor of the times, regardless of how much the Singers gahmen is "pushing the arts" here, I think it will be very difficult for the OP's wife to get an EP.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 12:34 pm

Leix wrote:Isn't the minimum for EP set at $3300?

It is... but you need to earn $4K to get any dependents pass.

ktommy80

Post by ktommy80 » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks for all your opinions..
to clear out some misunderstandings:
My wife is a balletteacher with according degrees and experience etc..it seeems like those kind of companies hiring expats quite often after checking several websites and teacher profiles.
We are in contact with a company and they are willing to apply for EP, seems like all their teachers are from oversees
so my original question is not ifthere is a chance of getting EP but rather if there is any way of getting the DP in case she arranges something part time thus earning below that required 4000$???(i dont want my wife to work full time)
There is no way of mycompany stationing me into sg...thats why we are trying through my wife...

Leix

Post by Leix » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 2:33 pm

Gee- I was being optimistic.

There is absolutely no harm trying. The chances is definitely not nil. She meets the requirement stated by MoM and so she is welcome to apply.

$4000 is also more than enough to live comfortably*. And as I understand it, the money is just an additional bonus for her as Tommy is also a breadwinner.

I don't suggest the 'money goes back under table' idea tough.

Leix

Post by Leix » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 2:43 pm

ktommy80 wrote:Thanks for all your opinions..
to clear out some misunderstandings:
My wife is a balletteacher with according degrees and experience etc..it seeems like those kind of companies hiring expats quite often after checking several websites and teacher profiles.
We are in contact with a company and they are willing to apply for EP, seems like all their teachers are from oversees
so my original question is not ifthere is a chance of getting EP but rather if there is any way of getting the DP in case she arranges something part time thus earning below that required 4000$???(i dont want my wife to work full time)
There is no way of mycompany stationing me into sg...thats why we are trying through my wife...
No, the criteria for $4000 monthly is pretty much set in stone.

Inside MoM, the application for DP will probably meet their low level filter guy and gets to be in the rejection pile without further assessment.

I'm afraid she has to take that job, or find another suitable one with that kind of pay.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 4:49 pm

EP is only issued for full-time work - part-time work on EP is just not possible.
In addition, as has already been said, S$4000/month is the minimum required to apply for a DP.

ktommy80

Post by ktommy80 » Wed, 09 Apr 2014 3:22 am

Ok sounds pretty clear now..guess there is no option for part time then...

thanks anyway

Avinash Avi

how to check my ep status?

Post by Avinash Avi » Tue, 27 May 2014 2:35 pm

how to check my ep status with my application no...i dont have my fin no..if i check it with my relative's fin no..it returned "no record found"...it had been more than 10 days application has been submitted...what does this mean...?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 27 May 2014 3:11 pm

From the MoM website:
The applicant may check on the assigned Foreign Identification Number (FIN) and application status online about 21 days after submitting the application. - See more at: http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... JxBgO.dpuf
The processing may take a month or more, if the information needs to be checked in your home country. Be patient and wait!