Singapore Expats

Tricky situation.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 22 May 2014 12:07 pm

Comedy comment via facebook :shock:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 22 May 2014 12:33 pm

Well done WD.... I'll allow you to buy me a celebratory beer some time ;)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 22 May 2014 4:26 pm

Emergency123 wrote:
Wd40 wrote: To those there who think I am arrogant because I mentioned $6k as too low, you need to take into perspective that I pay $2.5k in rent. I don't know about the guys in the HWZ forum, but my landlord(A true blue Singaporean single mother, who's bread and butter is the rent that I pay) would be more than glad that I find a job in Singapore and able to rent back the house. There are plenty of houses vacant in Singapore now and Barclays has just laid off 700 people, the rental market is going to get a shock.
^^
+ 1 to that - my local colleagues eyes pop when I tell them my rent ..and I rent a Hdb!
+2
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 22 May 2014 4:28 pm

Hi WD40, just read this thread and wanted to say congratulations on securing alternative employment. Despite being exasperated by some of your posts over the years, I wish you well. Based on my experience of similar events at various points in my career, I think that in the long run you will look back at this episode as a good learning opportunity.

As to the HWZ / TRS comments, well I guess they are par for the course. At least some of the posters questioned the rationale of the OP, but given the number of others who seem incapable of thinking logically, I expect Singapore will continue to need 'FT' for the foreseeable future. Or they can kick us all out and then try to take care of everything themselves - good luck with that, guys!
Be careful what you wish for

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pisceangirl » Mon, 26 May 2014 10:17 pm

Wd40 wrote:Hello Guys,

I just came back to update that my EP got approved, in 3 days :D

But before I could comment, I noticed the thread had taken a new twist and I spent a good 1/2 hour reading through the comments on HWZ and this thread.

To those there who think I am arrogant because I mentioned $6k as too low, you need to take into perspective that I pay $2.5k in rent. I don't know about the guys in the HWZ forum, but my landlord(A true blue Singaporean single mother, who's bread and butter is the rent that I pay) would be more than glad that I find a job in Singapore and able to rent back the house. There are plenty of houses vacant in Singapore now and Barclays has just laid off 700 people, the rental market is going to get a shock.
C'mon you should be celebrating! You just acquired local celebrity status :lol:

Btw, I really think that you should go to that forum and post your point on Rental there.
Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are. (Tupac)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 26 May 2014 11:23 pm

Speaking of which yesterday I had a guy from a church come over handing out some leaflets and some small gift.
so I invited him in and gave him something to drink. He asked me about my apt and hoe much I pay and I asked him to guess and he said 1200. When I replied it was 2500, he was shocked that rental could be that much.
anyway he thanked me and left and also said it was the first time that anyone invited him inside and offered him something.
unbelievable!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 May 2014 6:43 am

Morman Missionaries or 7th Day Adventists?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 27 May 2014 7:09 am

The leaflet was in Chinese, :? But I'm guessing it was Methodists.

him: you Muslim ah?
me: no
him: then dumpling no halal no
me: I'm vegetarian ( just to make him go away )
him: veggie dumpling also can la
me: Jesus christ!