Singapore Expats

So being a virgin (male) at 22 & 2.5 years of college = fail

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: So being a virgin (male) at 22 & 2.5 years of colleg

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 26 May 2014 12:37 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Nakatago has it for me. He wasn't well, shame on you, PNGMK, that's as far from Christian as you can get.
What's next PNGMK... you wanna burn them at the stake? Good Christians of a 1000 years ago did just that.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 26 May 2014 1:30 pm

Guys, he had Asperger's and had been undergoing treatment under several therapists. So much for wishing him to rot in hell, you guys. :-/

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 26 May 2014 1:42 pm

There is no documented link between the Asperger's syndrome (and alike - ASD) and violent behavior. These are just blood thirsty media looking for a pattern to crucify more people.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 26 May 2014 1:45 pm

The question is why does this happen only in America?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 26 May 2014 1:57 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:The question is why does this happen only in America?
It doesn't.
------------
'The Dunblane school massacre occurred at Dunblane Primary School on 13 March 1996. The gunman, 43-year-old Thomas Hamilton (b. 10 May 1952), entered the school armed with four handguns, shooting and killing sixteen children and one adult before committing suicide. Along with the 1987 Hungerford massacre, 1989 Monkseaton shootings and the 2010 Cumbria shootings it remains one of the deadliest criminal acts involving firearms in the history of the United Kingdom.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre
-----------

-----------
The 2011 Norway attacks were two sequential lone wolf terrorist attacks against the government, the civilian population and a Workers' Youth League (AUF)-run summer camp in the Oslo region on 22 July 2011, claiming a total of 77 lives.

The first was a car bomb explosion in Oslo within Regjeringskvartalet, the executive government quarter of Norway, at 15:25:22 (CEST).[1] The bomb was made from a mixture of fertiliser and fuel oil[13][14] and placed in the back of a car.[15] The car was placed in front of the office block housing the office of Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg and other government buildings.[16] The explosion killed eight people and injured at least 209 people, twelve of them seriously.[10][11][12]

The second attack occurred less than two hours later at a summer camp on the island of Utøya in Tyrifjorden, Buskerud. The camp was organized by the AUF, the youth division of the ruling Norwegian Labour Party (AP). A gunman dressed in a homemade police uniform and showing false identification[17][18] gained access to the island and subsequently opened fire at the participants, killing 69 of them,[7][8] and injuring at least 110, 55 of them seriously;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks
-----------

An interesting question might be, why has such an event not occurred in Switzerland or Israel, where conscription aged adults are obliged to keep semi-automatic 'assault weapons' at home.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 26 May 2014 2:39 pm

@JR8 those are just 3 instances you listed, but I'm sure the ratio of shootouts America vs rest of the world is much higher.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 26 May 2014 2:50 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:@JR8 those are just 3 instances you listed, but I'm sure the ratio of shootouts America vs rest of the world is much higher.
Simply that 'you're sure' isn't enough to deny people their rights.

The population of Norway is 5 million, that of the USA 300 million.

Are you suggesting the problem is 60 times more prevalent in the US than Norway? That said, that would only make the probably equivalent/population. What would a test of 'much higher' require 2*, 3*, + the rate?

Maybe 150-200 mass shootings in the US in recent years?

I don't think so.
Last edited by JR8 on Mon, 26 May 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 26 May 2014 2:52 pm

x9200 wrote:There is no documented link between the Asperger's syndrome (and alike - ASD) and violent behavior. These are just blood thirsty media looking for a pattern to crucify more people.
I'm not going to pretend like a mental health expert but people with Asperger have difficulty interacting socially with other people and tend to be withdraw themselves and be loners. All these have been admitted by Rodger himself and by people close to him since young.

True, there is no link between Asperger and violence but anyone can be violent, especially after being socially (and sexually) deprived. He has needs too, people. Regardless whether he has healthy perception towards having it or not (looking at you PNGMK).

It is sad that he was left whirling down in deeper hole by family and society even after his condition was addressed when young. Look at his behaviours documented before the incident; they all point to his condition.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 26 May 2014 3:19 pm

JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:@JR8 those are just 3 instances you listed, but I'm sure the ratio of shootouts America vs rest of the world is much higher.
Simply that 'you're sure' isn't enough to deny people their rights.

The population of Norway is 5 million, that of the USA 300 million.

Are you suggesting the problem is 60 times more prevalent in the US than Norway? That said, that would only make the probably equivalent/population. What would a test of 'much higher' require 2*, 3*, + the rate?

Maybe 150-200 mass shootings in the US in recent years?

I don't think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... icide_rate

UNODC murder rates most recent year, per 100,000 population, some assorted countries :

Australia 1
UK 1.2
France 1.1
Germany 0.8
Switzerland 0.7
Norway 2.2
Afghanistan 2.4
Iraq 2
Iran 3
India 3.5
Singapore 0.3
China 1
Canada 1.6
US 4.8

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 26 May 2014 3:26 pm

the lynx wrote:
x9200 wrote:There is no documented link between the Asperger's syndrome (and alike - ASD) and violent behavior. These are just blood thirsty media looking for a pattern to crucify more people.
I'm not going to pretend like a mental health expert but people with Asperger have difficulty interacting socially with other people and tend to be withdraw themselves and be loners. All these have been admitted by Rodger himself and by people close to him since young.

True, there is no link between Asperger and violence but anyone can be violent, especially after being socially (and sexually) deprived. He has needs too, people. Regardless whether he has healthy perception towards having it or not (looking at you PNGMK).

It is sad that he was left whirling down in deeper hole by family and society even after his condition was addressed when young. Look at his behaviours documented before the incident; they all point to his condition.
People on ASD spectrum does not become violent to such extend just because they are left without help and support from the society. There is even no evidence of such link to the criminal (in general) behavior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
The hypothesis that individuals with AS are predisposed to violent or criminal behavior has been investigated, but is not supported by data.[1][29] More evidence suggests children with AS are victims rather than victimizers.[30] A 2008 review found that an overwhelming number of reported violent criminals with AS had coexisting psychiatric disorders such as schizoaffective disorder.[31]

Just being withdrawn from society does not make people go out and kill. Being frustrated does not make people killing neither etc. etc. It has to be another factor.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/blamin ... 2014-05-25
Son, who treats a number of young autism patients, says that obsessive behavior can result from the disease and patients can become fixated on certain issues. But other factors usually come into play when behavior becomes overwhelmingly violent.
“It’s really more associated with a troubled upbringing rather than the autism,”

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 26 May 2014 3:42 pm

JR8 wrote:
It doesn't.
------------
'The Dunblane school massacre occurred at Dunblane Primary School on 13 March 1996. The gunman, 43-year-old Thomas Hamilton (b. 10 May 1952), entered the school armed with four handguns, shooting and killing sixteen children and one adult before committing suicide. Along with the 1987 Hungerford massacre, 1989 Monkseaton shootings and the 2010 Cumbria shootings it remains one of the deadliest criminal acts involving firearms in the history of the United Kingdom.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre
-----------

It's a clear example we have to stretch over a near 20yr period for four high profile instances in the UK where we basically get as many per year out of the US.

There were such tragic cases last year, with everybody (except the NRA) jumping up and down in anger and what's happened about it? Again, not a frigging thing.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 26 May 2014 4:08 pm

IMHO it would need to be coupled with some other data to give a reliable image.

This may be likely closer but still by a single factor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... death_rate

Things like likelihood that the murder will stay unsoved must have a significant impact on the rate.

Besides, I think Raj was probably referring to public indiscriminate shooting or mass killings rather than any murder.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 26 May 2014 10:50 pm

x9200 wrote:
IMHO it would need to be coupled with some other data to give a reliable image.

This may be likely closer but still by a single factor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... death_rate

Things like likelihood that the murder will stay unsoved must have a significant impact on the rate.

Besides, I think Raj was probably referring to public indiscriminate shooting or mass killings rather than any murder.

well, as per my first post, to me it seems blindingly obvious the ease of access to guns in US is a key factor contributing to the high murder rates there, which includes mass killings too. Sure the stats don't prove anything but neither does plucking random examples of Norway, Switzerland, Israel.

Anyway I personally will not live in the US for this reason alone (not to mention my communist tendencies, right Jr8 ?)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 26 May 2014 11:16 pm

My earlier reference was to the large number of shootings all over the USA in recent years commencing from the columbine school shootings.
easy access to guns and the whole peer pressure situation in university's and colleges that often result in some individuals losing the plot completely suggests the fact that there needs to be some fix required at the universities and colleges.
and then there is this article..maybe this girl and guy should have hooked up.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5373138? ... 6&ir=Women

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 27 May 2014 12:19 am

Well since you're sure, it must be true. Let's turn this into a "bash the US" thread shall we?

Looney People get their rocks off in different ways based on culture. If this guy was one of your countrymen, him and a bunch of his buddies would have driven around and just raped all of the girls they could find. And then have a fair chance of getting away with it.