Singapore Expats

HELP! Mom of 2 yr old moving in the fall

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sat, 24 May 2014 12:19 pm

My husband works in pioneer and we live in bukit batok. It's a very normal convenient place, good for the commute and more local than expat.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 24 May 2014 1:09 pm

I second Bukit Batok (I live there too and commute to Jurong West). With your budget you should be able to get a landed house or a nice penthouse.

Still, if you prefer to be more central I used to live in Holland Village and work exactly in Pioneer/J.Ahmed Ibrahim. Commuting was not a problem if one was willing to rush for work around 7-7:30. After 8 AYE was getting slow.
One of my colleagues even lived in Tiong Bahru and commuted all the way by a cab. Again, the key was to get up reasonably early.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: thanks

Post by JR8 » Sat, 24 May 2014 1:15 pm

Usmom wrote: I feel more comfortable around locals and expats more at our income level than around rich people.
[Cough cough] ... your rent allowance alone is almost triple the total gross remuneration of the average SG 'resident' (citizens and PRs). So, all-in, you will be 'rich' by any standard.

Just a '2c' observation to give a bit of context.

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/statistics/b ... abour.html

Usmom

Post by Usmom » Sun, 25 May 2014 11:57 am

Will definitely look into bukit batok and holland, thanks for the advice, I'm thinking that's our top choices. And if Holland, maybe the border of it. We are not bringing any furniture, hopefully some places will be fully furnished with nice stuff.
Usmom

Usmom

Post by Usmom » Sun, 25 May 2014 11:58 am

JR8, you are funny, I like your wit and enjoy reading your posts. :)
Usmom