Singapore Expats

Rights of Tenant

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 21 May 2014 10:21 pm

AnnaGrana wrote: I am owing 2 apartments in France and 1 in Russia..
People come and leave and nobody never paid me more than 1 month of deposit as termination fees.. Not speaking about 5 months or..2 years, you said?
I think you need a cattle-prod of a reality jolt. You do know different jurisdictions have different laws? French and Russian law are irrelevant to Singapore.

Do yourself a favour, stop flapping around like a flock of seagulls, and FOCUS on the facts of the matter via the prism of Singaporean law.

Search By

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 May 2014 10:25 pm

^This. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 May 2014 10:26 pm

and FOCUS on the facts of the matter via the prism of Singaporean law.

JR8,

but....but.....but that's what I keep tellin' you! :lol: :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 21 May 2014 10:48 pm

AnnaGrana wrote:Thanks to all for your replies!
I took into account all your advices and will try to find the replacement.
Already contacted some agencies..
Cross fingers :)
Unless your landlord has already confirmed that he'll accept a suitable replacement then there's no point, as even if he has, he is under no obligation to accept one.

p.s. @ SMS
<Squint>
lol... :P :lol:

ludwig12

Re: Rights of Tenant

Post by ludwig12 » Wed, 21 May 2014 10:59 pm

AnnaGrana wrote:Need help!
We moved to the new apartment in October 2013. My husband's company suddenly replacing us to another country which means we stayed in the apartment only 8 months... The diplomatic close is 12 months + 2 months notice..

We are fine with loosing entire deposit but Landlord is insisting to pay till October 2014! It was never discussed neither written in the contract. What can we do here? The amount of money is just unacceptable to pay! especially if nobody never mentioned this "unspeakable law"..

Agent told us the only about the Diplomatic clause.

Can someone advise what can we do here?
When you signed the two year lease, I assume your husband had an employment contract with the company to stay in Singapore for at least that long. And if the company decides to post your husband after only 8 months, they should be willing to compensate(at least partially) for any financial loss from the rental contract due to the sudden re-location. Maybe you could also negotiate with HR to minimize your net loss.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Rights of Tenant

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 22 May 2014 2:14 am

ludwig12 wrote:
AnnaGrana wrote:Need help!
We moved to the new apartment in October 2013. My husband's company suddenly replacing us to another country which means we stayed in the apartment only 8 months... The diplomatic close is 12 months + 2 months notice..

We are fine with loosing entire deposit but Landlord is insisting to pay till October 2014! It was never discussed neither written in the contract. What can we do here? The amount of money is just unacceptable to pay! especially if nobody never mentioned this "unspeakable law"..

Agent told us the only about the Diplomatic clause.

Can someone advise what can we do here?
When you signed the two year lease, I assume your husband had an employment contract with the company to stay in Singapore for at least that long. And if the company decides to post your husband after only 8 months, they should be willing to compensate(at least partially) for any financial loss from the rental contract due to the sudden re-location. Maybe you could also negotiate with HR to minimize your net loss.
+1 - that's why you should always tie your housing to your employers for short term or the first few years.

Secondly you may just have to drop a cheque for the diplomatic amount and 'run'. It's not really feasible for a Singapore LL to chase you down and sue you in another country. I know that's not in the spirit of the forum but with rents dropping I'm not surprised the LL has stood his ground.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 24 May 2014 9:37 am

AnnaGrana wrote: I am owing 2 apartments in France and 1 in Russia..
People come and leave and nobody never paid me more than 1 month of deposit as termination fees.. Not speaking about 5 months or..2 years, you said?
Have you taken them to the court?