Singapore Expats

JOBS and EDUCATION for EXPAT ADULT CHILDREN

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
mikeroa1234

JOBS and EDUCATION for EXPAT ADULT CHILDREN

Post by mikeroa1234 » Wed, 21 May 2014 2:29 am

Hello All, my company has transferred my to Singapore for at least 3 years and I have 2 adult children that will be coming with me. Once is 18 and has a US high school diploma and the 2nd is 24 and has a college degree (graduated college 2013).

Neither one of them is sure what they will do when they arrive. They are both interested in possibly attending college or working or maybe both.

My question is:

How difficult is it for an adult expat child on a dependents pass to get a job in Singapore? Is a work permit hard to get ??

How difficult is it for an adult expat child on a dependents pass to get into a college (graduate or undergraduate) in Singapore? Is a student permit hard to get? How difficult will it be to get accepted into a University or College? Where do I start the application process?

Thanks
Singapore Newbie

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 21 May 2014 7:18 am

18 year old can get DP. 24 year old cannot... age limit is 21. 24 year old would have to apply for student visa. Not much chance for either of them working because of the need for a work permit, which will be very hard to get. Student visas allow some work. Can't answer your questions about your kids getting into a local university.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 21 May 2014 9:55 am

The main universities in Singapore are NUS, NTU, SMU, SIM University and SUTD. There are also lots of private universities whose credentials vary greatly.
For your 18 year old, try exploring each university's offerings and application process to get started.
Your 24 year old can start looking for jobs in Singapore even from overseas but employment pass approval is not easy for those without the relevant experience. He/She can also explore postgraduate education in the above universities. If approved, he/she will be given a student pass.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 22 May 2014 3:39 pm

bro75 wrote:The main universities in Singapore are NUS, NTU, SMU, SIM University and SUTD...
it's gonna be difficult to get in those universities as a freshman- a transfer would be easier but, if i remember correct, mainly suited for sophomores...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam