Singapore Expats

4 nights 5 days

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

4 nights 5 days

Post by Fortan » Wed, 21 May 2014 8:40 am

I am thinking about bringing the family on a much deserved holiday. I just don't know where to go. We have hardly been on a holiday for the last two years as we've been blessed with two beautiful daughters. The family is mom and dad and the two small ones. One newborn and one is 1.5 years old. We also intend to bring our maid. We are not exactly loaded with money but would like to go somewhere that ticks off most of these boxes:

1.) Easy flight of max 2-3 hours and not too long land transport to the destination
2.) Preferably stay close to the beach
3.) Stay in a villa-lie accommodation - or could be a Serviced Apartment where we all fit in
4.) Would be nice if it was a place where it is easy to get around with a double stroller

Can anyone provide me with some inspirational thoughts on this? I kind of want all of that and want to pay as little as possible :D :D

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 21 May 2014 9:09 am

Philippines comes to mind although the flight is around 4 hours. We did it when our daughter was 1, 2 and 3 years old and it was not too painful. You have double trouble of course! There are many beach locations that would fit the bill, suggest you Google for the best places.

You could avoid flights altogether and go across the bridge into Malaysia? That would free up more spending money and the drive will probably not be any more tiresome than sitting around in airports and flying.

Vietnam and Thailand, there is some political unrest but probably a lot of beach locations away form the trouble. I know its a bit commercial but we liked Phuket and have some wonderful memories of time at the beach with our daughter.

Indonesia? Never been there so cannot comment.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Wed, 21 May 2014 9:11 am

Personally, I always recommend Bali for a first or long awaited vacation or destination for visiting guests. No doubt that there is a touristy side, but there is also a scenic side, which is less touristy. The food, in general, are good though not cheap (similar price that you will pay in Singapore). You would be able to get good value for money in terms of accommodation as well, and there are ample of beach resorts for your choosing. My husband and I go there every year, just for a weekend or dive trip, and its easy & fast to put together.

Another alternative is Thailand. If you are looking for beach resorts, my personal favorite is Koh Samui. Similarly, we go there annually because its easy and fast to put together. The quality of food is also good (compared to Krabi & Phuket), and its not too touristy. However, flights is much more expensive at about $600/pax though you can get some promo fares from silkair occassionally.

Of course, there are many other destinations but if you want to relax instead of being busy sight seeing, Bali and Samui are my recommendations.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 21 May 2014 10:05 am

Tioman fly-time 40mins (Berjaya Hotel?) or Lombok, fly-time 2hrs15m?

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 21 May 2014 11:14 am

Thanks Fortran for starting this thread, i'm in similar situation and also needing inspiration ! So far staycation options have been appealing, mainly to avoid airport/flying hassle, but obviously it's not the same as travel and getting off this small island. We have also been considering Bintan as a ferry seems much easier than flying. I'll be interested to see what else pops up here.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 21 May 2014 11:39 am

I know the OP expressed a desire to keep the costs down but if that does not affect others so much I found a cruise was a very nice option. We did a 5 night out of Harbour Front stopping in Malaysia and Thailand.

It was by far the easiest and least stressful way to travel and see other countries / places with a 3 year old and entertainment for young ones is abundant :-)

Downsides are cost and for me at least the weight gain from the constantly available food!

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Wed, 21 May 2014 1:35 pm

Beeroclock wrote:Thanks Fortran for starting this thread, i'm in similar situation and also needing inspiration ! So far staycation options have been appealing, mainly to avoid airport/flying hassle, but obviously it's not the same as travel and getting off this small island. We have also been considering Bintan as a ferry seems much easier than flying. I'll be interested to see what else pops up here.
Taking the ferry to Bintan is the same or more hassle than the airport. Done it on several occasions and I hate it.... Just not worth it...

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 21 May 2014 1:45 pm

Hong Kong possibly. Did this in February.

Flights are up around 4 hours again unfortunately but bearable.

Stayed in a really cheap hotel which had family rooms (similar to Serviced Apartment) on the beach in Lantau Island. Eat in the hotel restaurant every day because breakfast was included and dinner was cheap.

Took the family to Disneyland which was about 30 minutes taxi ride away.

Cheap, beach, right accommodation and Disney thrown in as an option for the kids? Flights still not ideal though.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 21 May 2014 1:47 pm

Sorry correction, Disney for the big kids (adults) and one child. Clearly your newborn is not going to get much out of it :oops:

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Wed, 21 May 2014 3:17 pm

1. Bintan/Batam- Ferry, 45mins
2. Bali - 2hours
3. Langkawi- 1.5hours
4. Tioman - no idea.
5. Phuket/Krabi/Koh Samui
6. Hoi Ann -2.52.5hours

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Sun, 25 May 2014 9:05 pm

beach resorts in JB? with kids this young, you may not want to wander too far away where quality medical facility is not readily available (just in case of emergency).

Nicole80

Post by Nicole80 » Sat, 02 Aug 2014 2:45 pm

May be can consider Indonesia. Bali/ Lombok.
They have a lot of villa there.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 9:53 am

Primrose Hill wrote:1. Bintan/Batam- Ferry, 45mins
2. Bali - 2hours
3. Langkawi- 1.5hours
4. Tioman - no idea.
5. Phuket/Krabi/Koh Samui
6. Hoi Ann -2.52.5hours
Tioman is 6-7 hours of land transport from Singapore. Unless you can afford a private aircraft that lands in Tioman. Gotta ask JR8 about this.

Penang - target Batu Ferringhi. Large hotels and villas available but more expensive than Bali.

Bali is still the most convenient location. Batam and Bintan too. Target Nongsapura side of Batam for elusive beach access.

Perhentian/Redang Island - Fly from Singapore to Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia and take a boat ride over about a short land transfer. Flight is about 1.7 hour and boat ride is about 1 hour or 2.

Lombok is about 2.5 hours by flight. Cheaper than Bali. You can go further to the Gili islands like Gili Trawangan (never been to Gili Meno and Gili Ayer) by few minutes' boat ride. Gili islands are located between Lombok and Bali.

Boracay in Philippines is the better version of Gili Trawangan actually. Good thing Tiger now flies directly to Kalibo (one of the nearest airports to Boracay Island) so you'll be looking into 2.5 hours of flight followed by 1.5 hour of land transport before a boat ride over. It is a very nice place.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 10:50 am

Would Cameron highlands or genting be considered a similar getaway? I think its a six hour bus journey from Singapore, but its no beach place.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 2:05 pm

the lynx wrote: Tioman is 6-7 hours of land transport from Singapore. Unless you can afford a private aircraft that lands in Tioman. Gotta ask JR8 about this.

Penang - target Batu Ferringhi. Large hotels and villas available but more expensive than Bali.

Bali is still the most convenient location. Batam and Bintan too. Target Nongsapura side of Batam for elusive beach access.

Perhentian/Redang Island - Fly from Singapore to Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia and take a boat ride over about a short land transfer. Flight is about 1.7 hour and boat ride is about 1 hour or 2.

Lombok is about 2.5 hours by flight. Cheaper than Bali. You can go further to the Gili islands like Gili Trawangan (never been to Gili Meno and Gili Ayer) by few minutes' boat ride. Gili islands are located between Lombok and Bali.

Boracay in Philippines is the better version of Gili Trawangan actually. Good thing Tiger now flies directly to Kalibo (one of the nearest airports to Boracay Island) so you'll be looking into 2.5 hours of flight followed by 1.5 hour of land transport before a boat ride over. It is a very nice place.
Re Tioman/Redang
https://www.berjaya-air.com/tioman-redang.html#

For a short trip I'd fly. But the Berjaya flight from SIN/Seletar > Tioman has been cancelled. Meaning to fly there you have to transit via KL/Subang. From an ideal 30 minute flight 'to paradise', I expect it's now at least half a day or travel and transit hell. A great shame! Overland it's a real PITA from SG, but that said, you'd be amazed the number of SGns who do it, even just for a weekend, and for just one days diving!

Interesting your comment on Gili Trawangan. I first went to Gili Air... maybe 5 years ago - totally wonderful. A year+ ago I wanted to go back together with my wife. We booked the hotel (which has property on two of the Gili islands, Trawangan and Air) and accidently booked the wrong island! We arrived at about 9pm and it (Trawangan) was like being in Ibiza/chav/ocker central. I was like 'It's familiar, but by God it's developed in the 3-odd years since I was last here!!? Next day I went to the hotel office and said, roughly, 'Umm, I'm not sure how to say this, but I think we might be on the wrong island!' ... anyway, evidently this was not the first time it's happened, and next day we transfered, and Gili Air is calm/unspoilt, and as lovely as I remembered... highly recommend it if you want to get away from it in a place with no roads/motor vehicles! Same goes for Malapascua Island in the PH, but that realistically needs a week+ to get to/from from here, and do justice to.

p.s. Cameron Highlands. My advice, don't bother. Grungy lodgings and F+B, *very* overpriced for what you get, very little of interest beyond the tea plantations (occupies 1 hour). I might be a rare example of a person choosing to go twice, first time [80s], then went back [90s] when my parents visited. Never again...