Singapore Expats

Tricky situation.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 20 May 2014 9:35 am

Also been reposted at TRS last time I checked... sadly the poster there put a title and description that, at least for me, had nothing to do with what WD40 said ;)

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 20 May 2014 9:50 am

i'm just bitterly disappointed none of my comments got re-quoted, what is the point then really :lol:

sifting through the predictable knee-jerk comments, i was actually glad to see a reasonable number of people actually seem to read the thread and question where's the arrogance and that the guy re-posting over there is trolling!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 20 May 2014 9:54 am

Beeroclock wrote:i'm just bitterly disappointed none of my comments got re-quoted, what is the point then really :lol:

sifting through the predictable knee-jerk comments, i was actually glad to see a reasonable number of people actually seem to read the thread and question where's the arrogance and that the guy re-posting over there is trolling!
I was quoted, so I should be proud I guess :P

I can only take so much of HWZ threads though, because of the rampant racism. Many just see some trigger words and then launch their tirades without reading or understanding anything...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 May 2014 10:21 am

AngMoG wrote: I was quoted, so I should be proud I guess :P

I can only take so much of HWZ threads though, because of the rampant racism. Many just see some trigger words and then launch their tirades without reading or understanding anything...
Quite. I was surprised that they apparently allow it to be a platform for inciting racial hatred, and shocked by some of the language; I mean 'Black Trash' WTH!? You'd imagine that such racist slander might be illegal here, and that they'd be far more careful.

It would be a shame if someone reported them to the authorities.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 20 May 2014 10:37 am

Beeroclock wrote:i'm just bitterly disappointed none of my comments got re-quoted, what is the point then really :lol:

You got quoted, so let's drink in celebration :P

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 20 May 2014 10:42 am

JR8 wrote: I mean 'Black Trash' WTH!? You'd imagine that such racist slander might be illegal here, and that they'd be far more careful..
Now if you bitch about a Malaysian wedding...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 20 May 2014 10:49 am

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote: I mean 'Black Trash' WTH!? You'd imagine that such racist slander might be illegal here, and that they'd be far more careful..
Malay wedding...

Malaysian refers to nationality of country Malaysia, not ethnicity of the Malays.

:P :P :P

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 20 May 2014 11:00 am

the lynx wrote:

You got quoted, so let's drink in celebration :P

the highlight of my morning \:D/ hahaha
it's getting a bit like Seinfeld, the forum about the forum ...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 20 May 2014 11:26 am

Beeroclock wrote:it's getting a bit like Seinfeld, the forum about the forum ...
Like a good wine it seems to 'improve' with age.

It's now a discussion about their discussion about our discussion.

:o :???: :lol:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 20 May 2014 11:28 am

[quote="JR8"][quote="AngMoG"] .

It would be a shame if someone reported them to the authorities.[/quote

do you know who owns HWZ now?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 May 2014 12:07 pm

sph? :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 20 May 2014 4:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:sph? :lol:
mmmm...

HardwareZone is an IT -oriented Internet portal based in Singapore . It is
operated by Hardware Zone Private Limited, which is a wholly owned
subsidiary of Singapore Press Holdings (SPH). Some features of the portal
are: IT price lists for several countries, product reviews , feature articles on
technology and forums on a variety of topics.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 20 May 2014 11:31 pm

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Malay wedding...

Malaysian refers to nationality of country Malaysia, not ethnicity of the Malays.

:P :P :P
My bad, I should know better myself. :oops:

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 21 May 2014 7:50 pm

Only came by this thread now.

I could say that the English on that site is as shockingly poor as is the idiocy of many of the reactions, but, that would be stating the obvious.

Some people seem to be just looking for reasons to go off half-cocked.

Good to hear you are back on track, WD. And for the record, I don't see how any Emotionally Intelligent adult could misconstrue anything you wrote as being arrogant, at least some on that site had the sense to question the witch hunters.

With comments like "Not hard to understand, expats are the elite.." it's pretty clear that some people see things through very tinted (tainted?) glasses, which are self-perpetuating, xenophobic, and waaay over exaggerated.

Interesting factoid - in a meeting the other at a company very similar to the one where WD worked, they mentioned how they are pulling out of Singapore due to the expense, and that Singapore is no longer a strategic location, and hasn't been for some time.

Apparently some companies are actually "re-shoring" jobs which they moved to Singapore, back to "less-expensive" locations such as Japan.

I never thought I'd see the day that Japan would be considered less expensive than any place.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 22 May 2014 11:21 am

Hello Guys,

I just came back to update that my EP got approved, in 3 days :D

But before I could comment, I noticed the thread had taken a new twist and I spent a good 1/2 hour reading through the comments on HWZ and this thread.

To those there who think I am arrogant because I mentioned $6k as too low, you need to take into perspective that I pay $2.5k in rent. I don't know about the guys in the HWZ forum, but my landlord(A true blue Singaporean single mother, who's bread and butter is the rent that I pay) would be more than glad that I find a job in Singapore and able to rent back the house. There are plenty of houses vacant in Singapore now and Barclays has just laid off 700 people, the rental market is going to get a shock.