Singapore Expats

Schools and housing near downtown core

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
momofboys

Schools and housing near downtown core

Post by momofboys » Sun, 18 May 2014 8:10 pm

We are looking to move to Singapore. We will be working in the downtown core area. We would prefer to avoid long commutes to work or school. Suggestions of primary schools within reasonable distances? What would be good neighborhoods to look at?

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 19 May 2014 2:11 am

If you are looking at American schools then those will be pretty far away. Woodlands for the main one, not sure how far away Stamford American School is...

In terms of living close to downtown I would look at the River Valley area close to Robertson Quay. You could even take a water taxi to work at the cbd. :)

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Mon, 19 May 2014 8:33 am

There is a trend where schools are more and more outside of city center... At least OFS will soon move from downtown to Pasir Ris, can't say how long the remaining ones will remain there... and most new schools open in the periphery.

So you're going to have to choose, either you or your children will have to commute.

If you talk local schools then anyway you go wherever MOE has room for your child... ( which is usually far far away from city center)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 19 May 2014 8:43 am

My advice two weeks ago to another new poster, who was considering Holland Village (i.e. living very centrally), was as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'It might be an idea to start a new topic [titled something clear like 'Help please: Where should we consider living?], in which people can help triangulate an area, or maybe even a specific condo. (If so copy the below listed criteria into a new topic).

The usual starting info that helps us help you includes: (and see other topics where this triangulation has been done before)

- Your budget (approx range)
- Your workplaces (don't name names, just approx neighbourhood)
- The size and/or type of property that you aspire to (#bedrooms, facilities etc)
- will you have a car here?
- Proximity to transport required. MRT/buses/Changi/Malay border post (and which one).
- will you have children needing to get to school?
- are you already a city dweller? i.e. Are you used to city-centre hustle and bustle, or would you hope for a bit more peace and quiet?
- will you wish to be able to say walk to the shops, your doctor, a market?
... - there's more, but that gives a useful starting point.

'HV' is the most convenient for many people, it can be something of an expat ghetto, and that's why it can be one of the most expensive districts. There might well be something that suits your needs better, and gives you materially extra bang-for-your-buck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by JR8 on Mon, 19 May 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 19 May 2014 9:04 am

This question is coming up often enough that I'm wondering if we could jointly build-out the above list of considerations into some form of template list.

So rather than the at times unanswerable question (i.e. not enough input), from step#1 people are cued to provide as many useful data points as possible. They just copy the list, and add their replies in a different coloured font?

Perhaps it could be split into two parts. Priorities (budget, size/# bedrooms, commute time, and so on), and Nice-to-have (access to beach, walk to shops, and so on)?

Perhaps I'll have a go at posting the bare-bones, and see if anything comes of it, i.e. if we can jointly build it out?

--- There could also be a third section 'What is your current home, and commute like'? This might help identify people who come from the suburbs or country, but are subconsciously focused on moving right to the centre.

My thinking is if the requirements are clearer, any suggestions in reply will naturally follow. And/or specific issues (public school lotteries etc) will get flagged up at an early stage.

Perhaps I'll give a version 1.0 a go...