Singapore Expats

Highly educated professional applying for PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
professionalexpat

Highly educated professional applying for PR

Post by professionalexpat » Thu, 15 May 2014 1:03 am

Hey guys,

I just moved to Singapore from San Fran last month, working for a global employer. I hadnt considered this before, but a lot of folks have been telling me to get Singaporean PR because it should be relatively quick for me.

Background:

Indian National, but US Permanent Resident
College in the U.S. -- Ivy League, graduated with top honors (top 10%)
MBA in the U.S. -- Harvard/Stanford/Wharton
Salary - "base salary" is 170k, but "all-in" compensation is in high six figures+ per year (including bonus etc)
Age 31
Before my current employer (which is a smaller investment firm), I've worked for a relatively well-known global bank (think MS, GS etc) and consultancy

What are my chances of getting the PR within the 3 - 6 month slated timeframe?

I guess working against me are 0 ties to Singapore since I have only been here a month!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 15 May 2014 3:07 am

WHY do you want it? Unless you plan to live in Singapore for many years and raise a family and become SC - there's no point (and little benefit) in PR.

In fact there is an anti-benefit in that you usually lose out on Expat benefits in your next job in Singapore (housing/car etc).

Your salary is low for your quals btw. Maybe ok for your age tho.

professionalexpat

Post by professionalexpat » Thu, 15 May 2014 3:30 am

In my industry "base salary" is generally a low percentage of total compensation -- sometimes as little as 5 to 10%. Hence I mentioned, I expected total compensation to be in the high six figures / low 7 figures.

I plan to stay here in the future and I have an Australian girlfriend who has a great job and likes the location since it is close to home, so you can say we see this is a long-term option.

I don't get any expat benefits now anyways.

Anyways, thoughts on my chances?

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 15 May 2014 7:03 am

I would say very low it's far too soon. Wait a few years and then will be a good chance, but as per PNG you will also be more seriously ready to know if you want PR or not.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 15 May 2014 7:38 am

You need to have filed three tax returns (i.e. 3 years) before it becomes worthwhile applying.

Then if you're successful your employee converts you on to 'local terms' and a local package.

Be careful what you wish for.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 May 2014 7:58 am

Additionally, and possibly more important, is that you are a high flyer in the financial industry. The Government here knows that these types of people follow the dollar and will not commit to any country. We have seen a number of people with packages in the high sixes here who have applied, even with the requisite number of tax assessments, and been rejected. In the short term, I don't see it happening in the first 24 months here and only if you are very lucky after that based on the current climate. I wish I were more positive but our anecdotal evidence doesn't factor well at this stage for anybody in the financial industry and IT industries currently.

Having said that, I would probably still apply, if in your shoes, but at the same time with the forewarning that it is probably, at best, a long shot. If your girlfriend were Singaporean and your wife, would probably be a shoe-in, but as it is, to me, you have already said it all. Singapore is only a place of convenience as it puts you much closer to India and also keeps her close to Australia. I'm pretty sure they will see it much the same way. Good Luck, though.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers