Singapore Expats

NS Deferment Situation

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Syllabeargrylls

NS Deferment Situation

Post by Syllabeargrylls » Mon, 12 May 2014 8:28 am

Hi everyone,

Context:
I am a 20 y.o Aus citizen pending renunciation of Sg citizenship. I plan on going back to enlist when I turn 21 next year (July 2015), but a 6 month extension on my deferment would help immensely - allowing me to complete my bachelor's before enlistment.

I am wondering if anyone here has experienced/heard of a situation similar to mine; and if CMPB has ever granted extensions before that can be referenced as a precedent (I just contacted them before writing this).

Thanks in advance.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: NS Deferment Situation

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 12 May 2014 9:43 am

Syllabeargrylls wrote:Hi everyone,

Context:
I am a 20 y.o Aus citizen pending renunciation of Sg citizenship. I plan on going back to enlist when I turn 21 next year (July 2015), but a 6 month extension on my deferment would help immensely - allowing me to complete my bachelor's before enlistment.

I am wondering if anyone here has experienced/heard of a situation similar to mine; and if CMPB has ever granted extensions before that can be referenced as a precedent (I just contacted them before writing this).

Thanks in advance.
Do I get this right? You are planning to renounce SG citizenship, but still want to serve in the SG military? For NS, or full-time? I thought the whole point of deferment + renunciation was to NOT serve...

Syllabeargrylls

Re: NS Deferment Situation

Post by Syllabeargrylls » Mon, 12 May 2014 11:27 am

Sorry to confuse you, I mean I am planning to serve NS and KEEP SG citizenship (renounce AUS citizenship and possibly change it to PR).

But I really need to extend my NS deferment cos I found out my university here only grants 1 year deferment on completing my bachelor's (and NS will take me out for 2yrs minimum).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 May 2014 1:03 pm

On what grounds did you get your current deferment? I was under the impression that deferments were not given for tertiary educations. Or were you on deferment to renounce your Singapore Citizenship and now want to keep it, but want the best of both worlds? I'm still a little confused as to how you got your deferment in the first place.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Syllabeargrylls

Post by Syllabeargrylls » Tue, 13 May 2014 11:45 am

I was granted deferment until age 21 because my family migrated to Aus before I turned 11.

You are right that deferments aren't given for tertiary educations, for locals. But I am currently an Aus citizen as well as SG citizen (although I have not received any socio-economic benefits from SG or used my passport since migration).

So like I said, I am wondering if anyone has heard/experienced a similar situation to mine - where they managed to appeal an extension on their deferment to serve NS at 21.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 May 2014 4:19 pm

Was your Singapore passport renewed after the age of 11?

You are a Singaporean citizen by birth. You are an Australian citizen either by naturalization or descent. In either case, Singapore citizenship takes precedence, therefore, because Singapore doesn't allow deferments for Tertiary educations, they are not likely to give you an extension for tertiary education even though you are almost finished.

I've never heard of a precedent but if you are planning on renouncing your Aus citizenship, if they are told this, it might be enough to sway them. I feel the only think you can to is approach them and try.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 13 May 2014 8:08 pm

when i was serving NS... i had platoon and wing mates who were older than me. one of them was aussie and had completed a master's degree or second degree (or double degree? it was more than a regular 3-year bachelor's) before coming back to singapore to serve.

although he was quite old (mid 20s) he wasn't the only one. there were at least 2 others in my batch i recalled that had finished their basic degree before enlisting. i did not ask how they did it as they were not close to me but hey, i suppose anything's possible...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Syllabeargrylls

Post by Syllabeargrylls » Thu, 15 May 2014 11:10 am

Thanks for the input taxico and sundaymorningstaple,

No my passport was not renewed after age 11. I guess I will approach the people in charge and appeal. From taxico's platoon mates, it seems that such a situation has happened before.

One last thing though, who should I be contacting in regards to deferment. Would it be CMPB or NS.gov or what else?

Thanks again.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 May 2014 11:47 am

Mad Scientist. Your wisdom please. :wink:

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 15 May 2014 4:56 pm

Contact CMPB with your EP number that was given to you after the age of 16 to 21.
You should have Wendy or Susan name to liase with you
Submit documents to state reason for extension and you are coming to serve your NS liabilities
An extended EP will be provided once your approval is given.
Please remember this extension period is tight with no room to negotiate nor extend further
You will need to renounce your OZ citizenship once you return for your NS
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 May 2014 5:21 pm

Ta! :)

Syllabeargrylls

Post by Syllabeargrylls » Thu, 15 May 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks for walking me through this,

Couple of questions though:

a) Will I be able to find out my EP number through mom.gov.sg? (because I don't have the letter containing it - my parents probably got rid of it)

b) I don't really have documentation for an extension, except the fact that my bachelor degree graduation will be nov/dec 2015 (otherwise I will have to go enlist july 2015 if I don't get an extension)

Thanks again.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 16 May 2014 10:46 am

i could be wrong but:

if you can't call up CMPB/NS.sg's hotline to get the reference numbers you need... you might be able to find out your EP number by checking out the NS.sg website. email works for me too.

i believe the documentation scientist spoke about might be something you use microsoft word and your mind to create... so come up with reasons and proof and attach them all.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Syllabeargrylls

Post by Syllabeargrylls » Fri, 23 May 2014 4:43 pm

Mad Scientist, sundaymorningstaple & taxico,

This is the reply I received from CMPB today. It seems like there's no way I am going to be able to get an extension. I requested to liase with Wendy/Susan in my previous email but they did not acknowledge that

1. You have been granted the deferment till 21 years old, pending renunciation of your Singapore citizenship (SC) on the understanding that you intend to renounce your SC upon reaching 21 years old. MINDEF does not grant deferment for University studies. Those who wish to pursue University studies will have to complete their full-time NS first. Therefore, you are not eligible for further deferment from full-time NS to pursue your University studies and there will be no further extension of exit permit for you. We are unable to grant you NS deferment till Dec 2015 to complete your University studies

2. You are required to submit the application for renunciation of your SC to the Registrar of Citizens (ROC) via email: [email protected] for their consideration when you reach 21 years old on 4 Jul 2015. You are required to submit the documentary proof on your cessation of SC. Once you have renounced your SC, you will be no longer liable for NS.

3. However, if you intend to retain your SC, your current NS deferment till 21 years old, pending renunciation of SC and exit permit will be revoked. You are required to return to Singapore and report to Central Manpower Base (CMPB) for pre-enlistment documentation and medical screening without delay. You will be enlisted for full-time NS in the nearest possible intake.

Yours sincerely,

MS YUM KAH LENG

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 May 2014 5:02 pm

It sucks, but it's exactly what we said as well. I guess you now have some hard choices to make. Think long and hard as this little dirt ball floating through space is getting smaller and smaller so you surely don't want to burn any bridges in this day & age, where one has instantaneous access to anywhere via electronic means. Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.