Singapore Expats

Singaporean guy to marry work permit holder malaysian

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
7thblader

Singaporean guy to marry work permit holder malaysian

Post by 7thblader » Sat, 10 May 2014 11:57 pm

Hi I'm earning gross 4k+ and my malaysian gf more than 1.6 per month.
How high is the success rate if we were to apply for marriage as she is a work permit holder? Anyone with similar situation? We're both chi

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Sun, 11 May 2014 2:01 am

Success rate to get married? I didn't know there is rule that s'porean can't marry a foreigner , regardless of the visa status .

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 11 May 2014 2:25 am

nanana wrote:Success rate to get married? I didn't know there is rule that s'porean can't marry a foreigner , regardless of the visa status .
Work permit holders _must_ seek approval to get married. Failure to do so will create huge problems in the future.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 May 2014 12:20 pm

nanana wrote:Success rate to get married? I didn't know there is rule that s'porean can't marry a foreigner , regardless of the visa status .
It's not "regardless of the visa status" but "because of the visa status". The philosophy is that generally speaking, WP holders are lesser qualified (e.g., think 'less intelligent',) therefore, not to potential breeding stock that the government wants for producing the next generation (remember the failed O level parents or graduate mothers schemes of the past social genetic engineering experiments by LKY?

However, if the WP holder is Malaysian Chinese and holding at least an SPM and the Singaporean male is making $4/mo there is a high probability of MOM giving their blessings. Once they have than in hand, they are good to go and it will be no problem for the foreign spouse in the future. If you marry without it, there will be hell to pay. I have a nephew and a grand niece living with me with that exact problem. The little girl hasn't seen her mother since she was a year old and the mother, after giving birth and given a 1 year LTVP during the first year, was subsequently refused another LTVP and banned from returning to Singapore. The little girl only has Singapore Citizenship. It's rough.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Sun, 11 May 2014 9:13 pm

What about a PRC who used to work in a nightclub? (Currently maybe on tourist visa).Easier for her to marry a S'porean (income more than 10k as month)?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 11 May 2014 10:51 pm

I'd be afraid to hazard a guess, truth be known. Depends, I suppose on whether she was a manager, bartender or Cook. But if she was a GRO, If the reason is known, it might be iffy. Only thing you can do is write to MOM and ask. If it comes back yeah, you are in like Flint, if it's nay, they you can consider your options, e.g., immigrating to the PRC or finding another girl (sorry if that sounds rough but there is no easy way to say it, thanks to the ministry of manpower.)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

7thblader

Post by 7thblader » Tue, 13 May 2014 12:52 am

Thanks for the advices guys, my gf is holding SPM cert n we r planning to get married but afraid that she will get rejected and get banned from entering sg.

7thblader

Post by 7thblader » Tue, 13 May 2014 12:56 am

Thanks for the advices guys, my gf is holding SPM cert n we r planning to get married but afraid that she will get rejected and get banned from entering sg.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 May 2014 10:28 am

Write and ask, nothing will change from the current situation unless it's no AND you marry anyway. If you don't marry, nothing changes. She would continue to remain on a WP and you two will continue to be single until such time as you immigrate to Malaysia.