Singapore Expats

Another man beats up a cabbie...

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Another man beats up a cabbie...

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 09 May 2014 1:21 am

I'm sure you all saw this on Stomp and everywhere else...

...Oh wait, no you probably didn't hear about it at all. Because it's not a foreigner, but a Singaporean Chinese who did the attack.

http://www.oneshift.com/news/8907/sg-ma ... ing-cabbie
Bank employee Ng Lek Wee, 26, has been sentenced to 5 weeks imprisionment after admitting to causing harm to TransCab driver Chia Hong Kian, 62. The scuffle occured inside the vehicle along Tampines Street 43 at roughly 4:00am on the 18th of January this year. Apparently, Chia picked Ng up at New Bridge Road at 3:35am. Ng was drunk and slept for most of the journey. Upon reaching the destination 30 minutes later, Chia woke him up to find out where exactly he should drop him off. Ng became infuriated, and hurled vulgarities at the cabby. He then punched the victim on his eye, head and shoulder a few times. Ng punched Chia again when he found out the fare was $25. He then left without paying. The assault left Chia unable to work for 3 days. Ng plead for leniency, citing that it was his first offence and that he was not in the right state of mind as he was drunk at the time.
I bet some FT got him drunk! That's the reason.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: Another man beats up a cabbie...

Post by Brah » Fri, 09 May 2014 8:06 am

zzm9980 wrote: http://www.oneshift.com/news/8907/sg-ma ... ing-cabbie
Bank employee Ng Lek Wee, 26, has been sentenced to 5 weeks imprisionment after admitting to causing harm to TransCab driver Chia Hong Kian.
I bet some FT got him drunk! That's the reason.
Can we quote "FT" , as this unconstructive and passive-aggressive term was bestowed upon us by our benefactors, and no matter how many times it can be found in print, that doesn't validate it.

Foreigners not quoting it condones that unfortunate term.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Another man beats up a cabbie...

Post by JR8 » Fri, 09 May 2014 9:30 am

zzm9980 wrote: ...Oh wait, no you probably didn't hear about it at all. Because it's not a foreigner, but a Singaporean Chinese who did the attack.
So an 'FT' giving the bird to a driver is headlines, but Chinese local (who arrived as 'FTs' in earlier times) who beats up a taxi-driver doesn't make the news at all.

Should the off-spring of say the earliest British settlers (Raffles et al) be labelled 'FT' today, when the Chinese who arrived later are not?

Hmmm.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Fri, 09 May 2014 10:07 am

This is much better.

Our imperialist brought beer and alcohol to our shores in the 18/19 century. These angmohs encouraged our local people to drink, to be drunk and act in a disorderly manner.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 09 May 2014 10:35 am

Primrose Hill wrote:This is much better. Our imperialist brought beer and alcohol to our shores in the 18/19 century. These angmohs encouraged our local people to drink, to be drunk and act in a disorderly manner.
Oh really :o How about palm-toddy, and arrack? The 'imperialists' didn't bring that. In fact...

'Arrack, the world’s only naturally fermented alcoholic beverage, is not merely a drink for king and commoner, connoisseur and your regular tippler, it is a liquid that contains a history that goes back several millennia and encompasses a long and delicate process from coconut palm to the glass.
http://www.dcslgroup.com/about_story_arrack.aspx

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Fri, 09 May 2014 11:07 am

JR8 wrote:
Primrose Hill wrote:This is much better. Our imperialist brought beer and alcohol to our shores in the 18/19 century. These angmohs encouraged our local people to drink, to be drunk and act in a disorderly manner.
Oh really :o How about palm-toddy, and arrack? The 'imperialists' didn't bring that. In fact...

'Arrack, the world’s only naturally fermented alcoholic beverage, is not merely a drink for king and commoner, connoisseur and your regular tippler, it is a liquid that contains a history that goes back several millennia and encompasses a long and delicate process from coconut palm to the glass.
http://www.dcslgroup.com/about_story_arrack.aspx
Aiyah, JR8, chill man

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 09 May 2014 1:29 pm

Primrose Hill wrote: Aiyah, JR8, chill man
You spewed baseless 'facts', I gave you the correct ones in return. 'Chill man', you should be grateful.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 09 May 2014 2:03 pm

Its not made it to TRE yet 8-)
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 May 2014 2:31 pm

JR8 wrote:
You spewed baseless 'facts', I gave you the correct ones in return. 'Chill man', you should be grateful.
What baseless 'fact'. Are you saying that they didn't bring any alcohol with them? That's all she said. She didn't say there was no moonshine here before they arrived, just that they brought alcohol with them. And I would venture that they probably did, on occasion encourage the local to hoist one with them. Grateful for what? As she is Malaysian, I'm sure she knows all about arrack or palm-toddy. Good grief.

I guess next time, seeing you missed the obvious, she will need to attach this so you don't get too upset.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 09 May 2014 6:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
JR8 wrote:
What baseless 'fact'.

That the 'white man' introduced alcohol to Asia, brought 'it [alcohol] to our shores' and somehow coerced the locals into a life of alcoholism and ruin as a result.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Are you saying that they didn't bring any alcohol with them?
No: I'm quite sure they brought some for their own consumption. However the likes of IPA style beers weren't exported to Asia until the 19th century (presumably with advent of steel hulled ships, and more cargo capacity).

The locals already had arrack and toddy, shochu, sake, baijiu, soju, maotai, and so on. Even the Mongolians fermented milk of all things to make an alcoholic drink :? I wonder where they got that nasty sounding habit from, Welsh sheep farmers maybe lol.

In the '17th/18th centuries', that's up to 400 years ago, the idea of the white man travelling half way the world in vulnerable small ships to sell, hook, and ruin the natives with what would be very expensive alcohol, when the locals had the means to produce their own for 1000+ years for peanuts - it's simply without logic or foundation, and hence my comment.

p.s. Here's one for you - 'Do try this at home'. Get a marrow/squash, preferably a short fat one, cut off the top. With a spoon scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff, but leave the flesh. Fill the cavity with brown sugar, and replace the top. Place this so it hangs vertically in a sufficient piece of netting, or length of a ladies stocking (preferably clean, or the hang over is only more intense ;;). Leave in a warm place. From say a 1kg marrow, and half a kilo of sugar you get about 1/2L of liquor. Granted it is absolutely foul tasting, but it's definitely alcoholic, maybe 15%? It would be but a hop and a skip to then distil that into something more akin to a 50% rum-type spirit. It's that easy to make your own booze.

For those with a sweeter/fruitier palette, including those of an Asian persuasion, I'm expect you could achieve the same using a papaya.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 09 May 2014 7:10 pm

That reminds me of our time in Saudie Arabia, where in our town the local supermarket sold all moonshine paraphernalia: sugar, grapes, bottled water, yeast etc. right from the same shelf section. :-$

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 11 May 2014 2:50 pm

back home we claim toddy and arrack helps digestion ....

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 11 May 2014 2:57 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Yeah and a bacon or sausage sandwich is good for the soul :) :wink:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 11 May 2014 6:47 pm

JR8 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Yeah and a bacon or sausage sandwich is good for the soul :) :wink:
of course I knew that ......, :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: