Singapore Expats

Transfer fees and loans

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Transfer fees and loans

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 06 May 2014 1:21 pm

I have a new helper, I sat down with her yesterday to discuss whether she wanted paying in cash or bank transfer. In front of me was all of our paperwork and she was very surprised to see it included the standard month's salary deduction. I did not prepare the paperwork but I wasn't planning to deduct so ignored it.

As it turns out she had asked what the fee was, she was told one month. Which she paid with her last month's salary from her old employer. I asked the fees and was told one month which I paid.

Now the agency are telling us it is two months as per MOM guidelines for maid's who do not fulfill contract (not her fault). I know that's bull.

What can I do?

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 06 May 2014 1:55 pm

I would ask the agent to provide a copy of the MOM guideline to see if they have a solid argument or not. I think MOM has a number on their website to call if you're having a problem with an agency, they might be able to help intermediate. But I expect it will ultimately depend on whatever contract the maid has signed with the agency.

As per another thread in recent weeks I exchanged some comments with yourself and ecruleix, this is exactly why I wish more people would take transfer maids directly and cut out these agents where-ever possible. The WP Online application takes about 15 mins to complete. You can download the standard employment contract and fill in the blanks. It's so simple, quick and easy. Save yourself the agency fee and more importantly save your maid the deductions which I also understood are typically 1.5-2 months for a transfer. Sorry I know this is not helpful in your situation, but just in case others reading are looking for a transfer maid I hope they will consider the advice.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 06 May 2014 2:02 pm

http://www.mom.gov.sg/Documents/service ... 02005_.pdf

perhaps a better idea : tell the agency you will be submitting this feedback form, and see if they soften their stance after that.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 06 May 2014 2:12 pm

I wish I had know this. We absorbed our maids fee ($1800 or so). She was not a transfer as she had resigned and returned home.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 06 May 2014 2:26 pm

Cheers for the link.

I know it's laziness on my part but really this should not have cost my lady a penny. Admittedly my own paperwork would mean no chance of being ripped off.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Tue, 06 May 2014 5:31 pm

PNGMK wrote:I wish I had know this. We absorbed our maids fee ($1800 or so). She was not a transfer as she had resigned and returned home.

For a transfer maid the process is extremely straightforward to DIY. To bring a maid in from overseas, that I am not sure, I suspect it might be hard to DIY and you might need to use an agency.

I observed some employers (not usually the western expat variety) really give their maids a hard time at contract end or if a transfer is requested..... Withholding/refusing to give a consent letter. Waiting until less than 30 days til WP expires so transfer not possible. Generally difficult/uncooperative behaviour e.g. refusing to give any reference.

The mentality appears to be, if you don't want to work for me, then I don't want you working for anyone else either. Very sad.... Even though the employer is better off transferring as they save the home flight cost, it still doesn't seem to matter much. It is a lot worse for the maid who gets sent home and then has to get a fresh job from abroad and swallow salary deductions for another 3-6 months. I also suspect some agencies might privately discourage/block transfers, to earn better commissions bringing maids in from overseas.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 06 May 2014 6:37 pm

Beeroclock wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I wish I had know this. We absorbed our maids fee ($1800 or so). She was not a transfer as she had resigned and returned home.

For a transfer maid the process is extremely straightforward to DIY. To bring a maid in from overseas, that I am not sure, I suspect it might be hard to DIY and you might need to use an agency.

I observed some employers (not usually the western expat variety) really give their maids a hard time at contract end or if a transfer is requested..... Withholding/refusing to give a consent letter. Waiting until less than 30 days til WP expires so transfer not possible. Generally difficult/uncooperative behaviour e.g. refusing to give any reference.

The mentality appears to be, if you don't want to work for me, then I don't want you working for anyone else either. Very sad.... Even though the employer is better off transferring as they save the home flight cost, it still doesn't seem to matter much. It is a lot worse for the maid who gets sent home and then has to get a fresh job from abroad and swallow salary deductions for another 3-6 months. I also suspect some agencies might privately discourage/block transfers, to earn better commissions bringing maids in from overseas.
Yes that's what happened with our maid. Ex exmployer refused to let her transfer so we can to cough up the whole fee.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Wed, 07 May 2014 10:45 am

PNGMK wrote:
Beeroclock wrote:

Yes that's what happened with our maid. Ex exmployer refused to let her transfer so we can to cough up the whole fee.
http://getbrainy.wordpress.com/2011/06/ ... singapore/

here's a useful link I found on the topic of hiring a maid from overseas, as opposed to a transfer maid.

It seems for a Filipino maid you do need to use an agency and consistent with what you said, the cost $1,800 if it's a direct hire (meaning you know/chose the maid directly yourself, but still process via an agency), versus $3,000 for regular hire (meaning you selected the maid via the agency).

I'm not sure about maids from Indonesia and other countries, if it would be possible or not to hire from overseas without any agency involved.

Based on my own experiences, taking a transfer maid without agency has been the best way, and I feel happy that it helps the maid too (which of course indirectly benefits me too, as you want your maid to be happy when she is the one looking after your kids, cooking your food, etc).

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sun, 11 May 2014 11:03 am

I have recently employed a Filipino transfer maid and I used an agency to handle all the transfer paperwork including the embassy requirements. I specifically told the agency that the maid is not to be charged any fee. They provide this service and all in all, including Insurance and embassy fees, it cost me about $800. Yes we could have done this ourself but at the time it just wasn't possible as I was working and Mrs S was about to drop a couple of kids.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 12 May 2014 1:19 pm

Thank you for your help. It turns out the last employer also paid her transfer fee. A few shouty phone calls and sitting in their office and refusing to leave worked.