Singapore Expats

E-Cigs banned?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

E-Cigs banned?

Post by CaptainBullus » Tue, 06 May 2014 12:58 am

I've been reading that you can't import e-cigarettes into Singapore. Does this mean that mine, it's the sisha/pen type if this makes a difference...would be confiscated at customs (if found) or does it just mean you can't buy them in Singapore?

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Tue, 06 May 2014 4:40 pm

It will be confiscated at customs and you will be fined potentially around $500.

Also, you cannot legally buy them in Singapore, though, I am sure you can find them if you look hard enough.

They are illegal.
nutnut

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 06 May 2014 5:30 pm

Why are they illegal, is it a tax thing?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 May 2014 5:48 pm

It's because their health findings differ from the west. It if was a tax thing, that would easily be rectified. It's also due to the fact that you can put other "stuff" in the "mix" that IS illegal.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Tue, 06 May 2014 6:25 pm

I actually use the liquid with no tobacco in it most of the time, but I doubt customs would differentiate?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 06 May 2014 6:43 pm

someone needs to start rolling out some fat blunts and handing it out to people here, they can sure use some chilling around over here big time!
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 06 May 2014 7:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's because their health findings differ from the west. It if was a tax thing, that would easily be rectified. It's also due to the fact that you can put other "stuff" in the "mix" that IS illegal.
I'd have thought it simpler to rig up a soda-bottle, a biro, and a nut-shell or bit of foil on top 'Furry Freak Brothers' style, or get a shisha pipe, plain old tobacco pipe, chillum and so on - if someone wished to create a 'mix' as you suggest. You just have to watch Cheech + Chong, or many 60s-genre films to see it being done.

You can get NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) NHS-prescribed (i.e. £cheap) back in the UK. Your GP will monitor progress, as part of a rigorous quitting plan. Hence there are means and an incentive to quit, in contrast here the path to quitting seems very expensive; in fact it's cheaper to smoke.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 06 May 2014 7:42 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:someone needs to start rolling out some fat blunts and handing it out to people here, they can sure use some chilling around over here big time!
I hope you're joking. Singapore had enough mental illness without the wholescale mental illnesses brought on by long term drug use.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 May 2014 7:55 pm

Simpler? Maybe. More acceptable visually? Doubtful.

Cheaper to smoke? Who's kidding whom? I quit in December 2004 by not lighting up again. I had a 1 to 4 pack a day habit for 37 years (4 packs was only for a period of about 4 or 5 months that I was on a bender after my 2nd divorce.) I started smoking at 21 with a pipe and actually inhaled the pipe smoke (didn't know you generally didn't until many years later). When I quit I was smoking around 1 pack a day unless I went out drinking. Cost to quit? Well, I must admit my food bill rose dramatically for a while as did my waistline, but once I got past that, zip. No direct cost associated with quitting at all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 06 May 2014 8:14 pm

Good for you, immediately quitting an ingrained lifestyle habit isn't at all easy. You'd have to be pretty 'Chuck Norris' to do it. From what I've seen the desire to quit often comes from some kind of external news to shock you out of it. That said I've known people with cancer continue to smoke... :cry:

But if you can have 'NRT' as a support during say a night out with the boys, some of whom smoke, and will be playing the game of offering the quitter a sneeky fag, I don't see NRT as a bad thing for many people. Rather, any way to help get yourself around those early nights of craving and weakened temptation should surely be encouraged.

p.s. Inhaling from a pipe. Yes I think I made that mistake once (and once only) aged about 16! :o

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 May 2014 8:45 pm

Oddly enough, it never bothered me, but then back in those days, before I started have mine custom blended by a DC Tobacco shop, I used to smoke Captain Black. My custom blend was very similar but a lot moister as I used quite a heavy dosage of Latakia tobacco in the mix, somewhere around 60%. It a heavy tobacco and very smoky tasting but I think the moisture content helped on the inhalation. It's a black tobacco after curing due to the smoke curing. I never smoked a cigarette until I was in my thirties and copped the 4 pack a day habit (when on a bender you cannot chain smoke a pipe! But because of always inhaling a pipe I immediately had a very heavy unfiltered Camel habit. After I went on the wagon, I went back to a single pack a day but never managed to return to the pipe as I was working offshore and it was rather bothersome when working on the back deck of a dive boat. I think I've still got one or two of my full bent briar pipes somewhere here but I haven't seen 'em for quite a while.

Interestingly enough, women loved the smell of that tobacco and because it was heavy, the smoke also didn't tend to "dry" you out if you were in the vicinity of the smoker and got hit with passive smoke.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 06 May 2014 10:01 pm

PNGMK wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:someone needs to start rolling out some fat blunts and handing it out to people here, they can sure use some chilling around over here big time!
I hope you're joking. Singapore had enough mental illness without the wholescale mental illnesses brought on by long term drug use.
Cough* Colorado Cough*
crime rates actually gone down in that US state since they legalized Marijuana.
I was obviously joking about its usage here, but I would more be an advocate for its legalization worldwide.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 06 May 2014 10:30 pm

@SMS Yes. My dad out of the navy smoked a pipe on and off. Balkan Sobranie, also apparently a ‘Latakia blend’ http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/520 ... n-sobranie

Some cigars and pipe smoke can be very pleasant to smell if nearby. Curiously also, they, or the 2nd smoke can also be most unpleasant. I’m not sure why the difference can occur.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 May 2014 11:13 pm

Probably the same factors that apply to wines. Wine tastings and the wine "note" are often different. They often smell completely different than the actual taste. I never knew that the after aroma of a pipe was known as a room note, but it maes sense. What lingers on the nose is often different than what lingers on the palate. I learned something today as well with regard to the "room note". :wink:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 06 May 2014 11:33 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Yes, because all drugs are the same, and have the exact same effect = Mental Illness! Alcohol is OK though, even though plenty of studies show it causes more long term health damage than many illegal drugs.

So is your stance because you like to hit the bottle, or Jesus likes to hit the bottle ?