Singapore Expats Forum

Long Term Visit Pass for foreign husband

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 16 May 2013 11:59 am

janiceliu88 wrote:I always (half-jokingly, but not jokingly at all) figured the government was punishing me (and all Singaporeans who marry foreigners) for not doing the national dream and settling down with a nice Singaporean and making good, party-line babies that can't ever (easily, anyway) leave, no matter how ridiculous things get here. Haha, Singapore's really patriarchal like that huh, the same way in some families if you go out with someone your parents don't like you're pretty much disowned.


Then again, didnt boss man imply that mixed race leads to better pedigree ? Or was it locally-mixed race ?? :D :D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35111
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 May 2013 1:07 pm

janiceliu88 wrote:do I know you online/have you been reading for long?


no & no.

Thrael
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 09 Jan 2014
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Updates?

Postby Thrael » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:01 pm

I'm facing pretty much the same problem.. wondering about the likelihood of getting my foreign boyfriend a LTVP if we get married.

Any one with more recent experiences on this? Is there a minimum income you must have before you can be a 'sponsor'? I've been trying to call ICA/MOM but no dice. :-|

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35111
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:38 pm

At last reckoning it was around 2.8K/mo but I would think it's probably up to somewhere over 3K by now for sponsorship. The best bet is hoping he can get an EP in his own right until you have been married for a couple of years and you have produced some cannon fodder for the Military. If you marry at the ROM, he will have to sign a declaration form acknowledging that his marriage to a Singaporean will not, in any way, entitle him to Permanent Residence. However, that is not to say he cannot get PR later, it just wont be because of getting married. After married, if he can find a job, get an EP, eventually, he will be considered for PR. In the meantime he can get an LTVP assuming you can meet the sponsorship minimums.

Thrael
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 09 Jan 2014
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Thrael » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:At last reckoning it was around 2.8K/mo but I would think it's probably up to somewhere over 3K by now for sponsorship. The best bet is hoping he can get an EP in his own right until you have been married for a couple of years and you have produced some cannon fodder for the Military. If you marry at the ROM, he will have to sign a declaration form acknowledging that his marriage to a Singaporean will not, in any way, entitle him to Permanent Residence. However, that is not to say he cannot get PR later, it just wont be because of getting married. After married, if he can find a job, get an EP, eventually, he will be considered for PR. In the meantime he can get an LTVP assuming you can meet the sponsorship minimums.


Thank you so much for the quick reply! Let me push my luck... do you have any idea where I can find out the exact amount required? We plan to ROM first while he's still on student visa, and then hopefully convert to LTVP when he's done with his studies.

Current restrictions are killing us :cry:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35111
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 1:04 pm

As noted previously, it was at 2.8K from anecdotal evidence only.

from ICA....

Local sponsor's Letter of Employment stating Date of Commencement, Designation and Salary per month (for self-employed: sponsor's valid Registration Certificate from the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) and Company's Profit & Loss Statement for the last 12 months)
Local sponsor's Income Tax Notice of Assessment for the last 3 years and CPF Statement showing monthly CPF contribution for the last 12 months. Alternatively, the sponsor may choose to complete Appendix VP to give consent for ICA to obtain and verify financial information provided in respect of this application with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS) and Central Provident Fund Board (CPF) directly instead.


As you can see, even here they don't give the income requirement as it is continually rising inline with the Cost of Living here in Singapore..

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 1:27 pm

Thrael wrote:Thank you so much for the quick reply! Let me push my luck... do you have any idea where I can find out the exact amount required? We plan to ROM first while he's still on student visa, and then hopefully convert to LTVP when he's done with his studies.

Current restrictions are killing us :cry:


No exact amount but .. from why i heard unofficially, above 3,500 makes them happier .. lower = less CPF/Medisave and all -> fear of the person being a burden to the state .. I guess

Thrael
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 09 Jan 2014
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Thrael » Thu, 09 Jan 2014 1:33 pm

Thank you both so much. this website is fast becoming my go - to for advice on all things visa. :twisted:

User avatar
Moncheriesam
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu, 03 Apr 2014
Location: Singapore

Postby Moncheriesam » Tue, 06 May 2014 10:04 am

ecureilx wrote:
Thrael wrote:Thank you so much for the quick reply! Let me push my luck... do you have any idea where I can find out the exact amount required? We plan to ROM first while he's still on student visa, and then hopefully convert to LTVP when he's done with his studies.

Current restrictions are killing us :cry:


No exact amount but .. from why i heard unofficially, above 3,500 makes them happier .. lower = less CPF/Medisave and all -> fear of the person being a burden to the state .. I guess


Hmmm, I am a Singaporean housewife. My husband was on an EP here for a few years but never got around to applying for a PR. However, he is now posted to a third country and we commute between Singapore and his new work base. We are keen to make Singapore home permanently but he is close to retirement in a few years time. From what I read, it seems impossible for him to get a PR unless he comes in on entrepass upon retirement or get another job based in Sg. Any other suggestions or advice? Would being married for 3 years and/or having a baby helps?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35111
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 May 2014 10:17 am

Nope. No help at all. Age is against him, but why didn't he apply for PR on Family Ties. He still might be able to pull it off if you were working and making >3.5/4K/month. But without you working and him jobless and nearing retirement (you didn't say how old he really is, so I'm assuming he's around 55+) so yeah, looking an another EP or possibly entrepass if you all have the wherewithal. Otherwise, he might have to make do with LTVP/LTVP+ once he comes back to Singapore. Been there, done that, but quit working offshore in my late 40's specifically to get an EP and subsequently, PR (My wife also Singaporean). I've been a PR for 20+ years now. Things have tightened up considerably now. Good luck. (I'd seriously look for a Singapore posting even for less money if retirement here is what he is after as it would make things a whole lot easier and a lot less dicey.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests