Singapore Expats

deaf woman hears for the very first time

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
x9200

deaf woman hears for the very first time

Post by x9200 » Sat, 29 Mar 2014 3:57 pm

Nothing to do with Singapore, extremely touching video, but I just can not get it. How a blind person can recognize speech being deaf for her whole life? She can not be blind.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/27/watch-the ... e-4680602/

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 29 Mar 2014 5:08 pm

I understood her not to be dear and blind her entire life but has lost those senses.

Even if she had been deaf and blind all of her life; just like Helen Keller the vibration of a voice box is a clue about speech and communication.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 29 Mar 2014 6:23 pm

It's a different thing. A brain of an adult has tremendous difficulty to process this kind of information if not exposed during normal childhood development. It's simply a very vast task. There were cases of people blind from their birth who gained sight in adulthood and ended up in suicide. Simply there is no way an adult brain, any human brain could instantly recognize (process) auditory and visual signals. This takes child's brain min 2 years under normal developmental condition and to a very basic level only. It would be like hooking up a deaf and blind person to a wire that sends signals in some machine code.

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Post by rdueej » Sat, 29 Mar 2014 7:03 pm

I think that she would have learnt to lip read over the years ? So now, she would be able to match the lip movements with the new additional signals that she is receiving.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 29 Mar 2014 7:32 pm

rdueej wrote:I think that she would have learnt to lip read over the years ? So now, she would be able to match the lip movements with the new additional signals that she is receiving.
That's the whole problem: if she is blind (was blind already in her 20ties according to the paper) how can she read lips now? Frankly, even her body movements are not of a blind person. I suspect she is just mildly visually impaired and it started in her 20'ties. Probably a good journalistic work.

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Post by rdueej » Sat, 29 Mar 2014 9:29 pm

x9200 wrote:
rdueej wrote:I think that she would have learnt to lip read over the years ? So now, she would be able to match the lip movements with the new additional signals that she is receiving.
That's the whole problem: if she is blind (was blind already in her 20ties according to the paper) how can she read lips now? Frankly, even her body movements are not of a blind person. I suspect she is just mildly visually impaired and it started in her 20'ties. Probably a good journalistic work.
I completely missed the part about her being registered blind in her 20s. I think you are right, and it might have just been some visual impairment coupled with a lazy writer.

AstinW

Post by AstinW » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 11:59 am

Wow that's a pretty amazing video. Thanks for the share!

OrchardWarrior

Post by OrchardWarrior » Mon, 05 May 2014 12:15 am

It is the same for deaf people with cochlear implants. It is technically no problem anymore to help a deaf person to hear, but if they did not learn how to recognize speach as a child, they will never be able to learn it later. People talking is just "noise" to them.