Singapore Expats

Preschools offering Hindi as a second language?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Lailafamily

Preschools offering Hindi as a second language?

Post by Lailafamily » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 3:46 am

Have gone thru old posts but was looking for more recent suggestions/ reviews...

Since our son only speaks English and we're moving to singapore we would like to introduce him into Hindi as a second language as we are of Indian Origin but having lived in the US we don't speak hindi as much with him...

He's 3 years old and we will be looking to start him someplace as early as September....but Hindi being a second language is our main selection criteria....

All suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance!

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 8:16 am

I can't add much in regards to Hindi, I believe there will be Tamil schools, since Tamil is one of our national languages. Would you consider that?
nutnut

Lailafamily

Post by Lailafamily » Thu, 01 May 2014 12:08 am

Tamil is not our top choice as my husband and myself are both Bombay born and bred and have no understanding of the language! Thanks! Hindi is our first choice. Any ideas what other families do in this case? Is there Hindi classes outside of school for kids to take as a second language option and is that allowed by schools...?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 May 2014 12:50 am

Hindi can be learned at 2nd language level but it a bit cumbersome as it's not one of the four recognized languages in Singapore, so while it available, testing is apparently done at various locations which means additional traveling for the students. My family speaks Tamil so I don't know to much about the Hindi courses/syllabus. However between the following two links you should have a better idea.

http://www.hindi-society.com/primary-school-classes/

http://www.bttsal.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=45
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers