Singapore Expats

PHP Developer EP Going To End

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ramesh_sahu

PHP Developer EP Going To End

Post by ramesh_sahu » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 1:28 pm

Hello Friends,

I came on September, 2013 on basis of Employment Pass over here through Consultant. I have 1 year valid EP. After few months i have called my wife on Dependant Pass. Now my contract with company is going to over by end of this month. I'm trying to find job related PHP, but couldn't make it still. Because for EP, to call DP minimum SG$4K required.

After cancellation of my EP, i can stay over here for Visit visa for 1 month, then i have to go back to my country.

I don't want to go back. I have tried lot, but couldn't find job of SG$4K. Can we both work on S pass & stay here in sinagapore?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 1:43 pm

Only if both can find a job. If not, the unsuccessful one will have to return to the homeland.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ramesh_sahu

Post by ramesh_sahu » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 1:50 pm

Means if we both found less than SG$4K & we both have S pass. We can stay here in singapore right?. I tried to find this things of MOM website. Couldn't find it

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 1:54 pm

S Pass holders are not allowed to have DP, with the same salary rule applies.

ramesh_sahu

Post by ramesh_sahu » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 2:13 pm

the lynx wrote:S Pass holders are not allowed to have DP, with the same salary rule applies.
Confused :???:

Means if we both found less than SG$4K & we both have S pass. We can stay here in singapore right?. I tried to find this things of MOM website. Couldn't find it

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: PHP Developer EP Going To End

Post by the lynx » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 2:16 pm

ramesh_sahu wrote:I don't want to go back. I have tried lot, but couldn't find job of SG$4K. Can we both work on S pass & stay here in sinagapore?
Sure. Only if BOTH of you can get jobs.

But she can't be relying on you alone for DP if you're on S Pass unless you earn more than $4k.

ramesh_sahu

Post by ramesh_sahu » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 2:19 pm

the lynx wrote:
ramesh_sahu wrote:I don't want to go back. I have tried lot, but couldn't find job of SG$4K. Can we both work on S pass & stay here in sinagapore?
Sure. Only if BOTH of you can get jobs.

But she can't be relying on you alone for DP if you're on S Pass unless you earn more than $4k.
Okey Got It. Thanks :)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 2:25 pm

ramesh_sahu wrote: I don't want to go back. I have tried lot, but couldn't find job of SG$4K. Can we both work on S pass & stay here in sinagapore?
I think you wont have any choice, but to go back. S Passes are being tightened because they compete directly with the locals. PHP skills, can easily be found among locals who are just out of college and will work for 3.5K. It will be hard for an employer to justify an S pass.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 2:25 pm

yes, if you both have S-Passes (or any combination of work visas), you can both stay. If one of you earns >$4,000, the other one can stay even if s/he doesn't work. If only one of you works, and earns < $4,000, the other one cannot stay on DP.

ramesh_sahu

Post by ramesh_sahu » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 2:36 pm

Wd40 wrote:
ramesh_sahu wrote: I don't want to go back. I have tried lot, but couldn't find job of SG$4K. Can we both work on S pass & stay here in sinagapore?
I think you wont have any choice, but to go back. S Passes are being tightened because they compete directly with the locals. PHP skills, can easily be found among locals who are just out of college and will work for 3.5K. It will be hard for an employer to justify an S pass.
I'm trying since last 15 days, i send CV's to so many consultants over here in singapore & direct company also. i have more than 5 years of experience in PHP. I think more experience, higher salary & not singaporian. This are the biggest factors for not getting still job here till now. I'm so much worried about job now :(

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 2:46 pm

15 days is nothing. I have been trying to switch jobs for the last 1 and 1/2 years and although its at a slightly different level and skills, its IT nonetheless. Its not easy to find a job here. Like someone on this forum told me "Its not what you know, but who you know that matters". This is especially true in a small market like Singapore.

My advice is go back to India and upgrade your skills, PHP is just not enough. After that look for opportunities abroad. Singapore is not the end of the world. I would take this opportunity to go to India, skill up and then target better places like UK and US.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:14 pm

How long was your contract for? Were you terminated early? If yes, what does your contract say about early termination? And if you were not terminated early, why have you waited so long to find other employment?

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Tue, 29 Apr 2014 11:33 am

Wd40 wrote: My advice is go back to India and upgrade your skills, PHP is just not enough. After that look for opportunities abroad. Singapore is not the end of the world. I would take this opportunity to go to India, skill up and then target better places like UK and US.
+1
Wishing you good luck for getting a job and a pass here. But like WD40 said, just PHP wont cut it once you are bit experienced. You will have to keep updating your skills. If you didnt know that after being in IT for 5 years, then you are already in trouble.
So improve your skills because any other option now will bring you back in same situation every few months.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

ramesh_sahu

Post by ramesh_sahu » Wed, 30 Apr 2014 9:57 am

Thank you for your support friends.