Singapore Expats

Acceptable duration of school bus trip for young children

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
scalzbab

Acceptable duration of school bus trip for young children

Post by scalzbab » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 8:41 am

Hi Everyone
I have enrolled my 4 years old son at Stamford American school, starting from August this year. Max will take the school bus in the morning, and again at the end of the school day at 3;30pm.
My question is what is an acceptable duration for his bus trip, is 45 minutes too long? We live in Pasir Panjang on the west coast; ideally we'd rather not move house as we love this house very much.
I would be keen to hear the perspective from parents whose children do take the school bus and their experience in the matter.
thanks
Barbara

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:10 am

I think that depends on your child. Some kids are able to sit still longer than others. How does your child do on a 45-min car ride?

I visited SAIS and asked about the bus and car seats and was told that there are no car seats or straps (3-point harnesses) on seat belts between the legs (to prevent kids from sliding out) but there's a "bus auntie"on each bus. I assume that means a woman who supervises the kids, which is nice (because that allows the driver to focus on the road). But that goes back to each child's patience and willingness to sit and follow the rules.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 17 Mar 2014 3:22 am

There are so many good child care options available in all areas of Singapore, that I see absolutely no need to burden such a small child with a long commute!

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Mon, 17 Mar 2014 5:21 pm

Depends on the bus service. Is there an Auntie on board to maintain discipline? Can he do homework (if they give a 4 y.o. homework) while on the bus? When so many kids spend hours watching the tele how can 45 minutes on the bus be so bad? It's social, can involve reading, listening to a language tape, etc.

45 minutes is normal for an International School.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 19 Mar 2014 9:38 am

Legally they have to provide booster seats or have three point seatbelts that can be adjusted to the height of the child.

I chose not to. The lack of air conditioning on the smaller buses and the jerky driving would just be a puke fest for my tiny.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Fri, 21 Mar 2014 7:56 pm

Plus I wonder how safe the small busses with the seats right against the back of the bus really are...

Dert42
Regular
Regular

Post by Dert42 » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:14 pm

My 6 yr old has about a 30 min bus ride. Not what we were quoted from bus company when we were considering places to live.. but whatever.
Doesn't seem to be a big deal. He naps most days on way home.

TryingTBBMom

Bussing

Post by TryingTBBMom » Wed, 26 Mar 2014 9:57 am

You know you child better than anyone… in saying that I think we can all be taken by surprise on their ability to adjust to new things. I agree that social skill are learned in a variety of different social circumstances. Reading, audio books or making a new best friend are all possible. My youngest falls somewhere between a the old iPod to listen to music to the puke fest. He takes 45+ with all the stops and he is the last drop off. He is older though.
Some trips are really fun and some days he comes home quite rung out.
I am not familiar with how SAIS designates the bussing and whether the young kids are separated from the older. I go with my gut, if i am already asking the question…I probably already have concerns. Have you spoken to your child about the bus? Have they ever taken a bus to preschool?

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 27 Apr 2014 5:06 pm

I know someone whose kid travels between 1hr and 1hr 15m to school each day on a school bus. Boarding time 5:45am... gets to school by 7am. And I'm taking about a local school where they start waaaay early.

45 mins is quite alright imo, especially considering the distance.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 27 Apr 2014 6:21 pm

I was older, 15-19, when we took the bus our International School The trip was easily an hour. Our school bus was knackered, no air-con, no seat belts and many an hour was spent in traffic jams that were total exhaust fume fests. I hated that part most of all, because all our windows were open.

The ride itself was ok though; some days we all chatted up a storm, other days you could hear a pin drop. That is, apart from the ever-screeching roar of the engine, haha.