Singapore Expats

where is the best place to buy an Apple product?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
kimssg11

where is the best place to buy an Apple product?

Post by kimssg11 » Sun, 30 Mar 2014 1:54 am

I would like to buy a Mac air but I do not know where would be the best place to buy it in terms of the price

Mercutio

Post by Mercutio » Sun, 30 Mar 2014 11:13 am

I recommend buying it online at the original Apple store website. (They do have a Singapore online store.)
Shipping is free and you can be assured that your Macbook Air has not been tampered with.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 30 Mar 2014 11:53 am

Even better if your organization / company has some special corporate rates in the apple store = ~10% off the regular price.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Tue, 08 Apr 2014 12:44 pm

The prices for Apple is quite consistent between SG & US (you can compare from the apple site online). I am not sure about HK but was told its cheaper to buy in HK.

Within SG, the cheapest place would be the airport, as it is tax-free. If you want a standard Macbook Air, you should be able to walk-in and get one. If you need one with specific modifications, you should probably call the shop and arrange for it to be ready, when you are passing through the airport.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 10:31 pm

The airport is a good place.

HK is supposedly cheaper but Australia has had some very good prices in the past when you take into account the 10% GST rebate at the airport (which unlike here you get in full). US is also a good place.

Having said that, buying online can also give you a lot of points/air miles with cards that generate extra points for online purchases, so buying from the online SG store might not be a bad idea after all. :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 27 Apr 2014 8:55 am

The place that sells Samsung products.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 27 Apr 2014 3:33 pm

@GND

Base model in SG = S$1348 (incl of GST @ 7%, i,e, $88)
http://store.apple.com/sg/buy-mac/macbook-air

------------
'Goods and Services Tax Relief

...You can enjoy GST relief up to the following values of goods, excluding cigarettes, tobacco, liquors and petroleum products.
Period away from Singapore - Value of Goods
48 hours or more, S$600 - Less than 48 hours, S$150

Holders of a work permit, employment pass, student pass, dependent pass or long-term pass issued by the Singapore Government and crew members are NOT eligible for GST relief.

http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/trav/ ... Relief.htm
-----------------

In town, S$1260+$88 = S1348

Bought at Changi after 48hrs or more away =
S$1260 +$0 GST in shop, but +(1260-600)*7% = $46 to ICA = $1306
Difference 3% less = $42
or
If you are away less than 48hrs, you save 0.75%, a whole $10!

That's if you are a tourist. But if you have any form of SGn non-citizen or non-PR residency, you get Big Fat Zero GST relief! Difference nil. I must say I found that quite surprising. All it would take is for ICA to stop you, inspect the computer, call the shop upstairs and read out the serial number. Oh and you can't 'accidentally discard' the receipt between shop and ICA, as without it you can't register the guarantee.

I'd start by looking down at the Funan Centre, especially at the end of a month when salesmen are trying to hit sales targets, and seeing if you get any worthwhile discount.

Hope that's some food for thought to the OP.