Singapore Expats

Watching BBC iPlayer on Apple TV

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Dolph
Regular
Regular

Watching BBC iPlayer on Apple TV

Post by Dolph » Sun, 29 Dec 2013 7:41 pm

I am having a really annoying problem with my Apple TV and wondered if anyone else has experienced the same: I use Hide My Ass VPN service and want to watch BBC iPlayer on my Apple TV via AirPlay on my iPad. IPlayer works fine on the iPad, but as soon as I try to connect to Apple TV, I get the following message: "An error occurred loading this content. Try again later". I have tried resetting the Apple TV and turn everything off and on again. No luck.
Also tried using my iPhone instead of the iPad. Still no luck.

Anyone?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Watching BBC iPlayer on Apple TV

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 29 Dec 2013 7:54 pm

Dolph wrote:I am having a really annoying problem with my Apple TV and wondered if anyone else has experienced the same: I use Hide My Ass VPN service and want to watch BBC iPlayer on my Apple TV via AirPlay on my iPad. IPlayer works fine on the iPad, but as soon as I try to connect to Apple TV, I get the following message: "An error occurred loading this content. Try again later". I have tried resetting the Apple TV and turn everything off and on again. No luck.

Anyone?
It's quite possible because of the routing your VPN provider is pushing to the iPad. Essentially it is probably forcing all traffic from your device through the VPN tunnel. This the 'easy way' for them to ensure any application you use on your iPad goes through their VPN. Otherwise you'd have problems not all of your traffic may go over the VPN.

So assuming they're doing this, your iPad is showing the Apple TV it previously remembered seeing before you connected the VPN. Once you try to send traffic to it, the iPad at some point gets confused because your Apple TV (being on a private IP behind your home router) would not be accessible from that VPN connection.

You have a few solution, all of which require changing something:

1) Get a home router which will log directly into your VPN for all devices. (Not the most efficient way to do it)

2) Pay for a service like Unotelly. This will essentially do what your VPN does to allow you to stream, but will work on any device as you just have to change your DNS settings. You will lose all of the other benefits VPNs confer though.

3) If you an get fiber, subscribe to ViewQuest or MyRepublic for their fiber service. They do the exact same thing Unotelly does, but network wide. Basically all this means is that anything you try to connect to (Hulu in the US, iPlayer in the UK, etc) will always 'just work'.

Dolph
Regular
Regular

Post by Dolph » Mon, 30 Dec 2013 10:23 am

Thank you so much, zzm9980! Is Unotelly essentially the same kind of service as Overplay? I tried Overplay and it wasn't working at all.

Unfortunately, I'm tied into a lousy Starhub cable contract right now so I can't change to MyRepublic just yet. Hmfp!

Richleeson

Post by Richleeson » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 9:27 pm

i bought a linksys E1200 router and flashed it with DD-WRT firmware, then i signed up to "strongVPN" to their "open VPN" package, then configured this into the linksys router, now i have 2 wireless networks, one that is my fast singapore network and one that thinks I'm in the US, so i can watch netflix through my xbox. works really well so far. bit of messing around setting it all up but once its done it done :-D

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 06 Jan 2014 9:40 am

Richleeson wrote:i bought a linksys E1200 router and flashed it with DD-WRT firmware, then i signed up to "strongVPN" to their "open VPN" package, then configured this into the linksys router, now i have 2 wireless networks, one that is my fast singapore network and one that thinks I'm in the US, so i can watch netflix through my xbox. works really well so far. bit of messing around setting it all up but once its done it done :-D
Yes, this solution will work too if you have the technical know-how to pull it off. It's not hard, but if "flashing my router's firmware" scares you (some posters it will) then don't try this at home :D

I'd also recommend against StrongVPN. Their service is good, but they're quite expensive for what they provide. Like 2x-3x similar services from others. They just spend more than most on Google Adwords :)

Dolph
Regular
Regular

Post by Dolph » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 9:11 am

It's not hard, but if "flashing my router's firmware" scares you (some posters it will)
:D Conjured up interesting images anyway. I'm not that technically advanced unfortunately. Signed up with Hide My Ass. Seems ok so far.

BradClark

Post by BradClark » Mon, 20 Jan 2014 1:28 pm

I do know that Astrill offer a router that you can order from them. It seems a bit overkill but they say it's all pre-configured and should work on all devices (mobile/tablet/desktop/TV) out of the box.

sing-a-singapore77

Post by sing-a-singapore77 » Thu, 06 Feb 2014 5:52 am

Richleeson wrote:i bought a linksys E1200 router and flashed it with DD-WRT firmware, then i signed up to "strongVPN" to their "open VPN" package, then configured this into the linksys router, now i have 2 wireless networks, one that is my fast singapore network and one that thinks I'm in the US, so i can watch netflix through my xbox. works really well so far. bit of messing around setting it all up but once its done it done :-D
DD-WRT is my solution as well. But I also jailbroke and rooted my AppleTV and can stream BBC or anything else directly from it. Not hard to do.

aquarianx

Post by aquarianx » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 3:59 am

Hi, can anyone tell me if teleport supports NowTV and lovefilm from UK please. Thanks.

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 8:52 am

aquarianx wrote:Hi, can anyone tell me if teleport supports NowTV and lovefilm from UK please. Thanks.
I can access Nowtv just fine from my home MR internet, but I can't register for the services due to lack of a UK address. It could be a good option to the Mio TV since starhub doesn't show champions league!

aquarianx

Post by aquarianx » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 2:28 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. I guess there is no need for television services if you have a good internet connection. I plan to have vonage as well that should take care of telephone.

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Sat, 01 Mar 2014 5:22 pm

aquarianx wrote:Thank you very much for the reply. I guess there is no need for television services if you have a good internet connection. I plan to have vonage as well that should take care of telephone.
I use SH for tv as it's handy to have the shows on, but to be truthful I don't get around to watching much. I like the convenience of having history and food channels. But I use Netflix for movies.
Vonage is excellent phone service, IMO. I've used it for over 10 years in the US, Japan and here. 8-)

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 26 Apr 2014 10:36 pm

zzm9980 wrote:3) If you an get fiber, subscribe to ViewQuest or MyRepublic for their fiber service. They do the exact same thing Unotelly does, but network wide. Basically all this means is that anything you try to connect to (Hulu in the US, iPlayer in the UK, etc) will always 'just work'.
Good tip - VQ has a service called Freedom VPN which basically changes your "location" when accessing certain sites. When using iPlayer for instance you will be seen as being in the UK and everything will work just fine. Same with the ITV player, and recently Channel 4 and Channel 5 (Demand 5) have also been added.

Speeds have also increased of late, at least it's something I've noticed. Even two months ago I was complaining how slow everything is (and I mean fiber) but for some reason international download speeds have been much kinder to me lately. :)

DavidSG

Post by DavidSG » Tue, 12 Mar 2019 11:00 pm

Dolph wrote:I am having a really annoying problem with my Apple TV and wondered if anyone else has experienced the same: I use Hide My Ass VPN service and want to watch BBC iPlayer abroad on my Apple TV via AirPlay on my iPad. IPlayer works fine on the iPad, but as soon as I try to connect to Apple TV, I get the following message: "An error occurred loading this content. Try again later". I have tried resetting the Apple TV and turn everything off and on again. No luck.

Anyone?

Still posting your spam from a Ukranian IP address, "DavidSG"?